Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUG control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Subaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: BUG control Reply with quote

Ok, so I've been working on a list that, once again, is mostly for post shards. I want to evaluate it's power level in a field without Maelstrom pulses and just such powerful options. Currently it's doing alright and I've been thinking about some changes, but it just sometimes seems to fizzle on draws. It does well against White based control decks and is much more of a proactive deck. So here's the list:

24 lands:
3 island
4 Forest
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Drowned catacomb

16 Creatures:
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Grave Titan
4 Aura Gnarlid
2 Frost Titan
4 Vampire Nighthawk

20 Non-creature spells:
1 Overwhelming Stampede
3 Spreading Seas
3 Jace the Mind Sculptor
3 Mana Leak
3 Contaminated Grounds
2 Mind Control
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
2 Gigantiform

Sideboard:
2 Obstinate Baloth
3 Vengevine
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Doom Blade
2 Eldrazi Monument

Ok, so, firstly, this isn't a final polished list and the manabase is fine I suppose, sometimes I'd rather have a 4th Island than a Verdant Catacombs, but sometimes I'd rather have a 4th Swamp than a Misty Rainforest but I'm yet to try that configuration.

Card choices:
Frost Titan > Primeval Titan? Yes, see, this deck doesn't need to ramp and destroy you really minus gigantiform + kicker. Trust me, you never need it plus kicker. Frost Titan just does a much more effective job doing what we want it to, simple as that.

Gnarlid and Nighthawk: I built this deck with Gnarlid and it's synergies with Seas and Ground in mind and well, it performs really really well. On avreage it's about 4/4 and that's just enough to get it done most of the time. Nighthawk was just the best three drop I could find to do the job of defense and offense.

1 Stampede: Now, I figured that half the time, I would win off of the backs of Gnarlid and the titans, and I do, but there were times where the board was clogged up and I just wanted my 2 zombies, Titan and birds to win and I thought Overwhelming stampede would be great. I only play one because whenever I draw it, it's just good.

Contaminate Ground, Gigantiform and Mind Control: Ground was supposed to be the extra spreading seas that gets boarded out against black, but I found that that 2 life is so important sometimes. Also getting an Emeria or Manland is awesome and it fuels Gnarlid. Gigantiform is just an aura you can win on the back of, casting it with Kicker is just sweet and usually game over. And it Fuels Gnarlid. Mind Control was my option over doom blade because with corrupt, everyone seems to be thinking that Mono-Black will just arrive and kill the scene and it allows me to take control of any good creature on their side of the board. And it fuels Gnarlid.

Sideboard:

Vengevine isn't maindeck because this isn't a vengevine deck. I just wanted more aggro options in case that was what was needed. The monuments are just bad in this deck. I put them in only because I had 16 creatures and losing them would be so bad. However, I'm thinking of putting just ANYTHING in there instead of them. Mostly, I see myself putting in the final Jace and a singleton Marsh Casualties, or two casualties, I'm not sure yet.

Numbers:

Only one issue. I want to have that 4 Seas and Ground somewhere. The only places it's possible are in the spot of 3rd garruk and 3rd Mana leak or singleton Overwhelming Stampede. I'm really not sure yet.

For now though, if you want to try this at an FNM or something with Alara still in place, the deck just takes out the stampede, one mind control and 1 mana leak for Maelstrom Pulse, only way to make it any better.

So yeah, any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1