Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-A-Card 2 Competition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
No way, but that does mean that a new thread is gonna have to be made for each game, so each game should last like a day or so, so that the mods won't get all like ZOMG YOU GUYS.

New thread for each competition sounds like a good idea, epsecially because of the way the five newest threads automatically get front-page status.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently now, either stickies who are active can also get listed in the top 5, or mods can also place them in the top 5. Haven't figured out which it is, but I've seen the Team Edward Aggro deck from the Type 2 forum on the top 5 quite a few times. I would just go ask a mod...but they're, weird. And anal-retentive.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparked Intervention | UU
Instant (R)
Until end of turn, any player may use any Planeswalker's ability that does not subtract from its loyalty counters as an instant. (You may still only use one Planeswalker's ability per turn.)

Draw a card.

[edit] Wait, entries closed? Sad Oh well, I still like this card.
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alandariel wrote:
Sparked Intervention | UU
Instant (R)
Until end of turn, any player may use any Planeswalker's ability that does not subtract from its loyalty counters as an instant. (You may still only use one Planeswalker's ability per turn.)

Draw a card.

[edit] Wait, entries closed? Sad Oh well, I still like this card.

Still not an engine, more like a trick.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dv8r must be in deep thought
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspense is killing me.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo judging!!!
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe dv8r died.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 hour rule : If the judge is inactive for more than 48 hours, to keep the competition running smoothly, anyone can now take over as judge.

You cannot declare your own entry the winner, obviously.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a putz
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criteria:

Designing FUN: A Johnny/Spike engine card which seems powerful and is fun to break, but which you like less and less every time you play with it or it is played against you

---

Entries:

Counter Counter | 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Counter Counter (Mythic Rare)
Whenever a player successfully counters a spell, put a counter on Counter Counter.
Remove a counter from Counter Counter: search your library for a blue or multicolored instant with converted mana cost 2 or less. Reveal that card and put it in your hand.
"He counts the counters with counters." -Hindu Proverb
0/3

I initially thought that this was too conditional to be a good engine, but given that it effectively feeds itself and will be played in a control heavy deck, it is possible. My only concern is that you have to play this out before your countermagic, and you don't really want to be tapping out as the blue player.
3/5

Spellbinding Mage | UR
Creature -- Human Wizard (Mythic)
(2) You may chose new targets for target spell. You lose two life.
When Spellbinding Mage enters the battlefield you may return target instant or sorcerry card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

Should cost at least {5} more mana to be anywhere near acceptable power level.
1/5

Thought Vacuum | 4
Artifact (Rare)
If a player would draw a card, any player may pay two life or discard a card to prevent this effect and instead put a counter on thought vacuum. When thought vacuum leaves play the last player to resolve a spell, draws cards equal to the number of counters on thought vacuum.
'Break me and the world is yours.'

As written, the ability does nothing. The second "when ~ leaves play" should also be on a seperate line, as it is not a linked ability. "resolve" is not a good word to put on a card, and cast has the potential to be more fun.
1/5

Gero, Mad Genius|2UR
Planeswalker-- Gero
+2: Draw a card, then discard a card.
-1: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may draw a card"
[4]

Undercosted/overpowered. I don't see how playing with this card ever becomes less fun.
1/5

GB Savra's Blessing
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic)
G, tap, sacrifice a green nontoken creature with power 1 or greater: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card and exile it. You may cast that card until end of turn without paying it's mana cost. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.
Savra knows the past and future lives of all she deems worthy.

A good engine but it seems like an undercosted polymorph variant. How does playing this become less fun? Polymorph is a fun card.
2/5

2RU
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. You draw cards equal to that creatures power or toughness.

Again, how is this not a fun card to play over and over? "Destroy" is out of flavour for both Red and Blue. This should be a Black/X card.
1/5

Nicol, The Aerial Supremist 2UBB
Planeswalker-Mythic
+1 Reveal the top card of your library. If this is a creature card you may put it into play. If a creature is put into play this way, Nicol,The Aerial Supremist takes damage equal to its converted mana cost.
+0 Target creature gains flying and shroud until end of turn.
-3 Until end of turn, creatures you control get +2+2 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
-7 You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, its destroyed unless it has flying.
Loyalty counters:4

Way too much text. The card is not an "engine" and there is little to break apart from the first effect.
2/5

Name: Grave Infiltrator 1UB
creature Human Wizard (Mythic)
Island Walk, Shroud
When this creature deals damage choose 1 of 2 options:
A: Place island counter on target opp. land, this land is an island in addition to its other types.
B: Return target sorcery from your graveyard to your hand.
I walk from the seas, and the grave.

Ability text seems very Yu-Gi-Oh Wink "Shroud" is such a powerful effect that this would have to be a 0/1 to balance it. Also, card lacks a power and toughness.
2/5

Scaling U
Sorcery C
Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may choose a card among those cards which has not the highest converted mana cost among cards revealed this way and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle all other cards revealed this way into your library.

Powerful effect that makes for interesting deckbuilding decisions. The effect can power out combo-decks and the irritation of never being able to take the "best" card does make it slightly irritating. Very nice design.
4/5

Scouting Report 1UU
Instant {R}
If you played two other blue spells this turn, you may play ~ without paying it's mana cost.
Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal a card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
A sound strategy is not determined by a single course of action.

"Cast" two other blue spells. Similar to Duodax's entry, un-fun comes from having to pay full price.
3/5

Spell Thief | UU
Legendary creature- Human Wizard {Mythic}
Flash
When Spell Thief comes into play exile target spell. If a creature spell was exiled this way, you may put it into play under your control.
Who needs friends when I can take yours?
1/1

I'm not sure what this is an "engine" for, and it's just massively undercosted. See "Commandeer".
1/5

Ancestral Mage 3UUU
R
Human Mage
If an opponent has drew 3 or more cards this turn,you may play this card U instead of paying its mana cost.
When Ancestral Mage enters the battlefield,target player draws 3 cards.
3/4

I can see what the flavour of this is going for but, really, it should probably just be free to play. However, this card it not the engine, this card really needs some other cards to power it out. Also, not really an un-fun card because drawing cards is always fun.
1/5

Grinning Despair
RB
rare
sorcery
Name a nonland card, target opponent reveals his hand and discards one card of that name if possible. If a card is discarded this way you may draw two cards.

This card should be UB, not RB. This is quite an interesting entry. Missing with this card is definately not fun but hitting with this card is even worse for your opponent. Rage quit card for sure. Is it an engine though? I'm not sure what you really power with this card.
3/5

Black Mind BBB2
Enchantment// Rare
You may not play creature spells from your hand.
You may play creatures from your graveyard.
If a creature would enter your graveyard from the battlefield instead return it to your hand.

ohhh.... It's definately a powerful engine... but is it un/fun? The final replacement effect does balance it nicely (and is the obvious breakable part of the card). I can see the frustration of not being able to play your own cards and the recusrion of your guys from the graveyard being a major headache.
3/5

Mind Sculpture 1UUU
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an instant or a sorcery spell,you may draw one card.

Engine, yes. Always fun, yes.
2/5

Hidden Twin 3
Artifact Rare
2 tap: Exile the top five cards of your library. You may cast a card from your hand without paying its mana cost if it has the same name as a card exiled that way.

Another interesting entry. A great engine for playing big spells for cheap. Encourages again interesting deckbuilding choices (Makes a player take too many expensive cards to try and get value from this) Great when it hits, frustrating when it misses. (blame the MWS shuffler!) I like it.
4/5

Construction Grounds 1UU
Enchantment - Rare
3: Place a 0/2 artifact creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Whenever an artifact you control is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card, then discard a card.

Engine, yes and i can see the initial fun potential of making the "invincible wall" followined by the un-fun potential but kind of weak on the power level side and difficult to break such a mana sink.
2/5

Darksteel Factory (6)
Darksteel Factory is indestructible.
("Destroy" effects and lethal damage don't destroy it.)
Whenever a non token artifact you control enters the graveyard, you may exile it, If you do, put an indestructible 3/3 Artifact Gargoyle creature token with Flying named Darksteel Gargoyle into play.
Whenever you control more than 3 Darksteel Gargoyles, Exile Darksteel Factory and put an indestructible 3/3 Artifact Gargoyle creature token with Flying named Darksteel Gargoyle into play.
"They came like vultures and consumed everything, then when they had taken all that we had, they ate the factory that made them"

For a 6 mana card, that also requires further cards to sacrifice and then limits you to a few 3/3 creatures, this seems quite weak. The breakable effect seems, at most, to sac with the last ability on the stack.
2/5

Darksteel Cannon | 6
Artifact M
Darksteel Cannon is Indestructible
2 Tap, Destroy target nonland permanent an opponent controls.
5 Tap, Choose - Destroy all artifacts, enchantments, creatures, or planeswalkers.

More darksteel! Card is not an engine powering anything else.
1/5

---

RESULTS:

Winner -- Hidden Twin by Welran
Runner-Up -- Scaling by Duodax

Welran can judge the next round.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're an idiot, someone else already said scaling wasn't even an engine.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. He has no idea what the difference between card draw and an engine is and I'm the idiot. Awesome!
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
Right. He has no idea what the difference between card draw and an engine is and I'm the idiot. Awesome!

When you come up with *your own* opinion as to what an engine is, backed up with facts, then we'll talk. In the meantime, please refrain from posting in the absence of informed critique.

I just happen to have a wider definition of "engine" than Ffancrazy, as Clariax's entry is a sufficiently powerful draw spell to "power" combo.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a judge. You shoul know the difference between a combo piece and a card that just draws cards, which is exactly what scaling was, as you pointed out. Half the cards entered did the exact same thing as the winning card, and you came up with reasons why those were just awful.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4