Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esper midrange

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
babaganouch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Esper midrange Reply with quote

Ahoy-hoy!

So i've been testing this midrange deck i built recently, and while i've been satisfied with the results, i think it could be more consistent.

This is the list i've been running with so far.

x4 duress
x4 spreading seas
x4 esper charm
x3 path to exile
x3 oblivion ring
x3 day of judgment

x4 Tidehollow sculler
x4 vampire nighthawk
x2 Abyssal persecutor
x3 Baneslayer Angel
x2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle

x4 arcane sanctum
x2 glacial fortress
x1 drowned catacomb
x1 celestial colonnade
x4 creeping tar pit
x3 marsh flats
x2 tectonic edge
x4 plains
x4 swamp

I've considered moving spreading seas and a doj to the sb, and possibly putting in mind rot, and a 3rd sphinx.

Creeping tar pit does a really good job as a cheap beater, but other than that, does anybody have a suggestions about the mana base also? I dont find myself having frequent mana problems, but slightly more than i think should.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that Duress and Tidehollow Sculler are really great if you put pressure on the opponent. Otherwise they are both weak. Abyssal Persecutor is card disadvantage. Spreading Seas is nice vs Jund but too often a waste of card space in this meta. It is a sideboard card.

If you compare Esper to other midrange decks dominating now - Jund and Bant - it is both less explosive and have less card advantage than those. So Esper finds itself in an awkward position.

What you need to do is to observe what it is that makes your deck win. Take notes. Is it when you disrupt their hand and then put pressure on them with your powerful creatures? Or when you deal with their threats and drop Baneslayer Angel or Sphinx afterwards?

If it is the first, take out the control elements and add more disruption and more early pressure. If it is the latter you may as well abandon the idea because then you are running an inferior UW control deck (then you may splash black for Esper Charm instead - that is a nice card to have in UW control).
babaganouch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it that way, i'd definitely say it would be the former. i agree when you say that esper doesnt have explosive draws like jund or bant, which is why i tried to makeup for that with early hand disruption.
i put the 4 SS, 1 DoJ, and a duress in the sb and put 3 mind rot and 3 countersquall main deck. it performed much better when testing against jund and UW afterwards. i always had plenty of hand disruption followed by a beater followed by the win (so long as i didnt overextend).
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you are running aggro-control. That is the best setup you can have. Or it is just inferior to both aggro and control - hard to say without testing. These days it is Jund and Bant that occupy that slot since they have great tempo and card advantage as well as removal and disruption.

But Esper can do well as aggrocontrol.

I would suggest a few cards to you:

Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Bloodghast
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be playable once inquisition and consuming vapors are released. Playing a turn 1 inquisition and/or turn 2 skuller followed by a turn 3 esper charm or duress+meddling mage wrecks a lot of decks.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1