Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naya Aggro explained

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
SilverMcHowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Naya Aggro explained Reply with quote

Alright, cause I keep getting the same questions, figured I'd make a post. Further questions will be answered in the original post. Trolling will mainly be ignored by me, unless it's in the form of a question worth giving an answer to.

1. a. Why are you using a standard deck in extended format tournaments?
b. How long have you been playing magic?

For bragging rights meybe? Actually, the real answer is that I don't know extended fully quite yet. I've only been playing magic since Sept 2008, so I don't know all the cards. Rather then download a net deck I don't know how to use, I'd figure I'd play with my deck that I know for now until I knew extended decks better.

2. a. Why do you keep calling it "your" deck?
b. How did you come to build it?
c. Any building strategies to share?

Because I built it. Yes I realise I'm not the only one that uses Realm Razer, however I build this deck from the cards I had gotten therefore it's "mine".
I started this deck from an Alara pre-release sealed tourny I went to with friends. I had just gotten the rules somewhat down, and I was only playing to be social. I did decently for my first time, getting 22nd in a tourny of 44 if I remember the numbers right. At that time my cards were Realm Razer, Wooly Thoctar, Maya the Anima, Titanium Ultimanium, and Godsire. Extremely lucky me. After constantly getting my butt beat in casual games, I began to work on it, taking Godsire, Ultimanium, and Maya out.
Friend advised me to download net-decks and play them to see how good decks work. Considering all I was doing was losing, I went with it. Jungle Lions can't intercept became my fav. After reading a few deck building guides on WoTC, I began working on the deck.
Really good lesson here. Take a card, or several cards with the same effect that you feel would win you the game if you had it out. In this case, Realm Razer. Then, build all your other cards around it to aid it and negate it's weaknesses. Well, Razer has a stupid mana cost of RGW3. Mana rushing will be the first thing to go in. Hello BOP, druid of the anima and Steward Knight. Still not enough. Then I see someone play Bloom Tender. Now I'm only working with the cards I have, so I didn't know this from the start. In goes Bloom, out goes druid and steward. Then the other cards click in to help Bloom's mana. Wooly Thoctor is perfect, as a bloom can cast it. And Figure? Even beside its awesome ability to power itself up, it compliments Bloom Perfectly with its mana. Instant turn 3 Realm drop. (Land +Figure, Land + Bloom, Land + Razer). Of course, every other card in the deck you can look at and figure out its purpose. Garruk gets realm out turn 5 on its own, Ajani helps control mana and goes with bloom. Also, after realm he's good for that backup land destruction.

3. Why Piper? Why two?

Cause I got sick of Faerie decks countering my Razer. Piper was perfect for this. They don't expect a realm out with four land, so they don't leave any land tapped for it. Plus, after realm a bop and piper can continue getting my creatures out, like dropping Liege. Plus, they waste their turn making sure Piper is out of play. Testing it 3 and 4 was just stupid, cause I'd have more then one in hand and it was a waste. I didn't need Piper for Razer, it was just another way to get it out there. 2 became the magic number.

4. Would you use Piper in another deck?

Unless I was playing a high cost creature deck just begging to be run over by faeries and aggro and counters and burn decks.... No. I do see why people don't like Piper, it's just he shines and plays his part in this paticular deck. Back to the rules of using cards to compliment weaknesses in your deck.

5. Whats with using this sub-par deck?

You mean why am I not using the top deck everyone else is? Where is the fun in that? Talk about getting stale. In that sense, the only top players are those that can afford the 300+ dollar decks, or the people online that roll higher and get the better starting hand. How does that say you're a good player? Magic would be a lot more fun if everyone played something different for a change. Most don't know how to play against me, on the other hand, I know what to do against a faerie deck, burn deck, kithkin deck... so on.

6. How are you winning with this deck?

This deck goes off one of the two basic winning strategies in magic. Either your opponent is mana-screwed, or mana-flooded. Opponents can't do jack squat with no mana. Which is why once Realm goes off, it's 99% of the time game over. And since every card is focused on getting Realm out, I've got a decent chance at doing that. If I don't? Well gee, I'm still aggro with thoctars and lieges and Garruk Overruns and Naya Charms and run-on sentences.

6.a. How are you winning against Faerie decks?

Vexing Susher obviously. I mean look at him! He's this cute little Jim Henson Goblin that just screams hug me. And since Gutteral Response is useless against the counter faerie, in he goes. Also, very careful moves. I have to either wait till I can play a spell, or force my opponent to waste counter-spells. Plus, austrene command works wonders.

6.b. Kithkin and RDW?

Play fast and get Realm out. And Burrenton's help too.

6.c. Vengeant Lark?

Holy cow, I'm actually scared of this deck. Not even faeries bother me, but this? EEP! Once again, play fast and get realm out. Also, Relic of Progentius. Once that gets into play, then I relax and wait on my opponent to do stuff.

6.d. Storm?

>.> Luck. I've beat this deck once in the Master. I give up on the inside the moment I see it, but once again, Realm goes out, its game over storm. Have you figured out the strategy yet?

6.e. Dredge?

God I love dredge. I wanna build a dredge deck so bad. Relic stops it in its tracks, and I just gotta aggro fast g1. It takes a bit to build up. Not as worried as I am about storm. Dredge gives you a few turns.

6.f. Elf Ball?

Don't attack. This deck is scary control being green. Just build up to where your confident in your Garruck Overrun, or for Realm Razer. I have to be very careful when I play my Magma Sprays and Naya Charms. Need to save them and use them on the real problem creatures. Also, Austre Command will win you quite some bit of time.

6.g. Protein Hulk decks?

Sorry, just had to bring this up. A simple common card completely threw this deck off. Magma Spray is the best common card right now in my opinion, its like a permanent Oblivion Ring for one mana.

6.h. So I herd u liek mudkips?

Magma Spray it to hell.

6.i. Affinity?

Kills me. I went up against it once, and was short one mana of ruining the deck with Austere Command. I'd like to go up against it again, but thats knowing if I do beat it, it'll be pure luck of getting my Command in g2 and g3,

6.j. The annoying Jit sword artifact plus faerie?

Lose every time. Most overpowered card I've seen yet. My answer? Oblivion rings if I used them.

6.k. Red deck wins? Blood moon?

Give up the moment Blood moon is out if i didnt get my bops and tenders in fast enough. Magmus i just wait for a magma spray. As for the rest, simple. Burrentons, and throw creatures out at them. Most players will waste their spells on your creatures and not spend them on you. I never saw the point of this, as the only winning creature I have is Realm, the others are kinda useless without him. Oh and hovering mana... hilarious, as I'll save a magma spray for hitting my own razer with it.

6.l. Decks you don't know about?

Best types of games. This is mainly what extended was for me in the beginning. Not knowing what could happen. Exciting, and will only last for the short while till I learn of all the most common decks. Unless magic players start learning new spells. This is magic at it's best. You have to play your deck to do what it's supposed to do, while being prepared to react to what your opponent does. I do a bit better at this, cause I don't have to worry when my opponent has no mana.

7. Are you going to build an extended deck?

Of course I am. If i stayed with the same deck I'd get stale and boring. Already looking at a few choice cards. *Drools over Purity* Just gotta figure out how I'm going to get them to work.

8. Are you just lucky?

Comon, no matter how many damn trials i win or get top four in, someone's always going to say its luck or bad players. And of course, when I accept challenges and win, its cause I'm lucky. But when I lose? It's cause their a better player with a better deck. -.-

Hope this answers most questions. Again, ask your question and I'll answer it in the original posting.
BigJoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you......I am glad a new player to magic is having a great time with it. Keep on winning bro. Anyways keep it up you have a great spirit even if now one else cares. Since its the internet no one actually dose. LOL
Kytep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Naya Aggro explained Reply with quote

SilverMcHowl wrote:
Comon, no matter how many damn trials i win or get top four in, someone's always going to say its luck or bad players. And of course, when I accept challenges and win, its cause I'm lucky. But when I lose? It's cause their a better player with a better deck. -.-

First of all, welcome to the (highly addictive) world of MtG! I am VERY glad that you've already realized that no matter what you do here, someone will complain (win with net decks, people complain, win with rogue decks, people complain, etc.)

Basically, the only thing you can do about which people will not complain is to lose... Smile

And don't forget the reverse of what you wrote: When these jackasses are the ones who win, it's pure skill; when they lose, it's pure luck (or at least that's what they *wish* were true...)

Kudos on your success. Just keep playing and learning, playing and learning, and always having fun. And never let the idiots get you down. (It sounds like you won't Wink

Kytep
Sihk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running 4 mana tithes sideboard is a great help against storm.

Thank you for reminding me why I play Magic. We should form a playtesting group with some people!
Shindeiru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

You not knowing the metagame is ok but hey take a real extended deck and play it :/.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihk wrote:
Running 4 mana tithes sideboard is a great help against storm.

Thank you for reminding me why I play Magic. We should form a playtesting group with some people!

ROFL! How is mana tithe good against storm? This deck doesn't have such a huge clock (turn 2 woolly kills on turn 6 and even the possibility of turn 2 woolly turn 3 wooly only kills on turn 5). So they have enough time to gather everything. And it's very rare that 1 more mana is going to make the difference. If anything Mana Tithe says: W: make your opp spend 1 mana and add 1 to the storm count.

BTW what a nice testgroup it would be! Testing naya against grixis!

And silver realm razor is in no way gg against storm. There's Lotus Bloom,it's more likely that they'll combo before you play it buteven if you do in one game, he can always save a land or 2 in hand just in case and go land, rite, desperate, song, song, manamorphose, desire.
rentintin3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuga challenge Silver! Then there wouldn't be any room for complaining from you if you lose. On the other hand you might win and then you could say your right!!!
Btw it should be best out 5

What do you guys think?

Silver want to prove your deck is the truth?

Tuga do you want to prove that your right?
LordLink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I versed this deck in the master and it was a surprisingly close match. I think I'd support Silver in playing it. Of course it could be improved with Extended cards, but then that reduces the cool factor.

It is insanely hard for extended faeries to deal with a kitchen finks. If you don't draw a Vedalken Shackles you simply can't answer them.

The sole reason I won was because I had 3 mox for realm razor and some lucky top-decks to get a Jitte active. I guess you could all abuse me as a bad player but hey, try versing Silver yourself.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people don't realize that the cool factor doesn't win games. If you play foil lands it doesn't help you win (unless you use that to your advantage so that you can see which are lands and which aren't but that's cheating and you'll probably get caught). Even if you aren't cheating having random foils can always get you warnings or gamelosses.

Play only t2 cards in an extended tournament isn't what I call cool but even if you think it's cool it shouldn't stop you from playing better cards.

And yes Link, you're not a very good player.
rentintin3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to make this the real deal. You want to play me? I have to use Silver's deck and you use what?
Kiritoarch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Silver, it's good to see that new players are doing well here, keep winning. Btw u dont need to explain other people why you are playing that deck, U'll find people that always complain, if u playing a rogue deck, they complain; if u use a tier 1 deck, they complain so wtf, use the deck you like, if u want to play a Rat.dec, play it! or anoher deck just play it.

Keep winning ^^ and if you keep playing vs. complainers, just ignore them.

[DT]Archi
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altho Tuga is a usually acting like an idiot, I agree with him in every single word this time.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I like riqusp. He thinks I act like an idiot yet that doesn't make him automatically choose the opposite side. He thinks for himself, gives his opinion without any trouble telling someone to fuck off.

I may not agree with him all the time and I myself think he's the one acting like an idiot (we're probably both idiots as it takes an idiot to recognize another one) but at least he's not brainless.
JKilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I gotta go with Tuga on this one...
asamodious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure silver will add extended cards to his deck once he figures out what the good ones are!

like he said, he started in september
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3