Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TURBO FOG actually should be a good call this regionals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Scientifik

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: TURBO FOG actually should be a good call this regionals Reply with quote

I have a hunch with all the aggro in the format that turbo fog may be a really good metagame choice. I don't know exactly how to build it or how exactly the good versions were built in the past.(Well the better ones anyway) I'm lacking something because I am losing to a lot of the substantial decks mainly Faeries and RDW. However when it does work it is really good. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Here is the deck list I have been testing.

4 Cribswap
4 Holy Day
4 Howling Mine
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Pollen Lullaby
4 Rites of Flourishing
3 Wrath of God
3 Gaea's Blessing
3 Extirpate

4 Reflecting Pool
4 Vivid Grove
4 Vivid Meadow
7 plains
5 Forrest

sb: 1 Wrath of God
3 Riftsweeper (against extirpates)
3 Incinerate (stops Magus of the Moon) maybe should be cop red
3 Raking Canopy (something else faeries MUST counter)
4 Thoughtseize ( pulls counterspells so they can be extirpated)

This one is built to thin the opponents deck with extirpates while at the same time reshuffling good effects with blessing. When your library gets low and you keep shuffling exitrpates back into your library things get vicious fast. What I am finding is though that anything with counters just rips you apart to my surprise despite the extirpates. RDW seems to be able to just burn through your life gaining maybe I just need to sb cop red or maindeck 1-2 beacon of immortality.

Anyhow it is a good base for the deck because it does work fundamentally and has won some games but just lost far more than I feel it should. One thing I feel may be good is to put in 4 Glittering wish and build some sort of toolbox SB with different types of answers to problems and different key cards.

P.S. (Don't laugh at me too hard my rating is 1800+ and I have had good hunches in the past on deck selection like this)
rwitko

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree.

Turbo fog's worst match up is faeries; which is nearly impossible to beat for it. Faeries, being as popular as it is now is the deck to beat. Playing a deck that has faeries as an auto loss is asking for a 0-2 drop.
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Primal Command maindeck (with maybe 1 Akroma to fetch)
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope there is a special place in hell for people who play that deck, turbo fog players and telemarketers.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo fog is not a good deck it was never a good deck and it will never be a good deck
MaksymG

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jace is infinitely better than rites or howling mine because it actually does what you want the deck to do, mill, at the same time giving u the card first. you can keep the green in the deck as a side but you need to add jace. This also offers you visions and cryptic commands. the core of the deck remains, but the supporting cards become infinitely better. Jester's scepter (or cap? whichever removes the top 5) is also an option.

On a second thought, just play UW control and just tweek the sb for an especially agro heavy meta. (aven riftwatchers AND finks come to mind).
mTk-Away
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an old turbofog player, I can say that it's currently the worst possible meta to play TF. Faeries pretty much has all the elements (except for graveyard shuffle!) that make TF lose.

In general, TF auto-loses to anything that plays blue. If you can't resolve your first Howline Mine or Rites, you already lost. And even if you could get it resolved, current blue-based decks will just bounce it with Cryptic Command. You need to be really, really lucky to win vs faeries.

Main tools vs countermagic, as far as I've experienced, are cheap black spelsl and of course counters of your own.
Maindeck Extirpate is definetly a good call, Thoughtseize in SB should be useful, too... a couple of Broken Ambitions in maindeck has also worked rather well to me.

I would also suggest adding some Coalition Relics, as you play 3 colors of course, but it can also get you around Clique problems.

Against RDW, you might want Story Circle (x 2 or 3) in maindeck. It's white, and also a very good general purpose tool vs green or about any color.

Gaea's Blessing? What is this for? If you want to recycle old cards, you don't want to do it in random style and sorcery speed. If you don't want to mill yourself... don't worry, that just doesn't happen! Out of all the 100 or so TF games I've played, I've got milled exctly one time.

One more card that always worked pretty well to me was Ajani. It either acts like a fog spell if your opponent attacks/burns him, or wins you the game. Sounds like a good gambit to me! If he stays on board for a turn or two, it becomes nearly impossible to kill him and of course he nets you life during all that time. Of course he can also act as a secondary win condition that pretty much just kills your opponent with a single blow.

Also, one more note about the deck: whatever your sideboard is, it's completely useless! If you can't win g1, you lost the match. Period. I personally got rather good results playing transitional SB and going for desperate white Crovax aggro in case I happen to lose g1, or if a lot of hate seems to be coming in from SB.
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr of Sands : W, gain 15 life

Holy Day : W, fog

As you can see, the power differential is fucking ludicrously in favour of the Martyr. Is this because Martyr is Broken 5 ways from Tuesday? No, of course not. It's because Holy Day is fucking terrible! Do I really need to tell you this?

Any deck that can't beat faeries is a failure in waiting. Please put SOME form of instant kill in the deck or Clique will pwn you every time. Try Mouth of Ronom.

If you really want to trick out your Martyr deck (not a lameass fog deck), take out the Howling Mines and Rites of Flourishing and have Primal Commands, Reveillarks and Aven Riftwatchers Maindeck. In addition, use Terramorphic Expanses and Horizon Canopies with Crucible of Worlds and Rings of Brighthearth. I'm sure you can see the interactions.

Later.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever had this amazing idea, which was in fact only amazing in theory and actually sucks really bad?

I put Swans in my Turbofog deck.

One word comes to mind, remembering it...

FAIL.
floreskiller

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above posts.
Also, your SB is ludicrously incorrect. Riftsweepers are not for Extirpates at all. If you are playing it, it will probably be for Ancestral Visions. And it's not even good in this deck because it belongs in beatdown. You do not give a shit about Magus of the Moon because you have 13 basic lands. Raking Canopy is absolutely useless against Faeries because they can easily bounce and swing for the win. And Thoughtseize with 8 CIPT lands which are your only source of black is clearly wrong. These are some things to keep in mind for other sideboards too.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4[FUT]Chronomantic Escape
Scientifik

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll make a few clarifying points about the post in case some of you didn't quite understand the purpose of the post in the first place. The deck with some modification should beat faeries fairly well. The deck already owns decks like MGA, Big Mana, Revillark and others. Pretty much anything that has no blue or isn't RDW it just flat beats. And yeah riftsweepers are for extirpates as they are your only reasonable answer if you are faced against one though they are good against Visions as well but you wouldn't want to bring them in just for Visions. Extirpate is your key card against faeries but I need some other cards to keep me out of danger and force them to counter things so I can extirpate them. Furthermore I didn't even say I was going to play the deck for regionals I just wanted to get chat going from people that played with the deck with some success with past versions. This version I posted was based off of the only decent version of the deck I ever saw back when it was first played. I am missing a few things from their list and will try other versions but it is close to being correct as like I said before it does actually function and win. I was hoping some of you were already trying other versions of the deck and maybe could turn me onto something along those lines that I have not seen or thought of before. Here is a point and an idea I was hoping to see from people thinking creatively but I'll throw it out there to spark conversation again. If you were to play glittering wish you could also play firesprout in your sideboard to give you 8 WOG to draw into instead of 3-4 like I am playing now. I was hoping to hear more of glittering wish versions and other versions with Jace though I did see some people talking about Jace versions and I do appreciate that much. Anyway to end my long spout the blessings not only keep you from decking yourself they keep all they key cards that are good in any match coming back into your hand again and again. If you need to gain life you keep bringing back martyrs. If you need to clock them faster you keep bringing back extirpates. With all the draw in the deck and drawing 7 or more cards a turn it is almost a tutor card that keeps coming back to your hand.
Scientifik

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah before I forget props to Jaquis and others who came up with really cool ideas. I love the revillark / brighthearth idea. I will definately try that.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not reading page 2. Why don't you test, then say its a good choice. And not random mws players, real irl good players.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2