Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another sealed pool

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Rink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrible at anything that requires manipulating quantities of magic cards on a screen, but if I were you I would not be able to avoid playing white.

Ajani is a huge creature pumper, when you have creatures. A great staller if you can hide behind something and gain life. Possibly a finisher, and in the worst case he's a terrible holy day.

Crib Swap and Harrier are great cards for controlling the game a bit.

Changeling Sentinels are good too, having tons of synergy with tons of things.

And of course, Swell of Courage is a fantastic finisher or turns one creature into a beast.

As for the other color, I would probably pick the green. The black has some good removal, but the green has a solid warrior theme. Paragon is a great 'lord' and with Imperious Perfect they are great. Not to mention Winnower Patrol, Ambassador Oak and Elvish Warrior which are all good cards in their own right.

It would be annoying to go three colours without fixing, but maybe off the Fertile Ground you could splash some black? Hard to say. Maybe if you were feeling lucky.

That's my two cents.
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over the list, there are definitely options out there, but in the end I'd go with white/blue.

Starting off, I simply can't avoid white. The color itself is pretty shallow, but the few cards that you do have are simply amazing, in that Ajani, Swell of Courage, Goldmeadow Harrier and Crib Swap are all cards you should be excited to have in your pool.

From there, I'm thinking about colors to pair with white. The cards you have are clearly based more on a mid/late game, measured kind of pace, rather than an aggro approach, which leads me to look at blue with great hope, and the blue pool doesn't disappoint. There's solid men all the way up the curve, and that fits well with the stall + evasion theory white/blue is so good at.

From there, keeping in mind the games will probably stretch out, I'm looking to black for a splash, since it has Dreamspoiler Witches, Eyeblight's Ending, and Packs Disdain, all fine maindeckable cards, and Mournwhelk, Boggart Loggers, and Festercreep as viable sideboard picks.

(Aside on splashing: If you're planning/capable of going to the long game with your sealed pool, it is correct to find a splash, in my estimation, at least 90% of the time. Trimming the 2-3 worst cards in one color for the 2-3 best in another often improves overall card quality a significant amount. Obviously though if you're planning on going aggro (most commonly red/green or white/red in Lorwyn) a splash is much less valuable.)

Other options are available, sure, but I think UWb is the way to go with this pool. You won't win games quickly that often (although many a sealed game has been won by flyer + reinforced swell of courage, I"m sure) but your card quality is very high and can allow you to control the pacing of the game, and I think will have the most success.
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me this pool looks very aggro (W/G) Ajani, Greatheart, militia's pride, swell of courage, battlewand oak, imperious perfect, ambassadar oak, paragon, elvish warrior, and winnower patrol

with a quick black splash the deck isn't that hard to make

Ajani Goldmane
Crib Swap
Goldmeadow Harrier
Militia's Pride
Burrenton Shield-Bearers
2 Changeling Sentinel
Swell of Courage
Hillcomber Giant
Shields of Velis Vel
Kithkin Greatheart

Battlewand Oak
Fertile Ground
Imperious Perfect
Kithkin Mourncaller
Bramblewood Paragon
Elvish Warrior
Winnower Patrol
Ambassador Oak
Elvish Handservant

packs disdain
eyeblights ending

Moonglove Extract

i dont know exactly where Avata got u/w from. While the creatures in blue are good, the synergy of all of greens cards, and a few of whites just works out
Vesuvian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build for this pool is no question agro WGb. If you didn't build WGb you built wrong. The only real thing in question is the manabase, i.e. to play 16 or 17 lands.

Here's the decklist:

Creatures
------------
Elvish Handservant
Goldmeadow Harrier
Bramblewood Paragon
Elvish Warrior
Kithkin Greatheart
Harpoon Sniper
Springjack Knight
Battlewand Oak
Imperious Perfect
Winnower Patrol
Kithkin Mourncaller
Ambassador Oak
Changeling Sentinel
Changeling Sentinel
Hillcomber Giant

Spells
-------
Fertile Ground
Ajani Goldmane
Crib Swap
Swell of Courage
Moonglove Extract
Militia's Pride
Eyeblight's Ending
Pack's Disdain

Lands
-------
8 Forest
7 Plains
2 Swamp
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't run the sniper because of the lack of support, i have yet to try it in a non dedicated merfolk deck, is it good still?
Avata

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant900 wrote:

i dont know exactly where Avata got u/w from. While the creatures in blue are good, the synergy of all of greens cards, and a few of whites just works out

Green is definitely viable in this pool, and I woudn't say anyone that went with g/w made a poor choice. For me personally though, I noticed 1) there almost certainly needed to be a black splash, and I don't like relying on splashing when I'm playing aggro 2) the lack of enough really strong two drops made me nervous (paragon is amazing, but you only have four two drops, one of which is GG in a three color deck, and another which is 1/3) and 3) my personal preference is that if I can take the game long with superior card quality on my side, I'll build my deck that way, and looking at the pool, I'd rather have the evasion guys on my side on turn 15.

ant900 wrote:
i didn't run the sniper because of the lack of support, i have yet to try it in a non dedicated merfolk deck, is it good still?

It's "okay." In an aggro deck like the g/w one posted, I wouldn't run it maindeck, as you really want better things to do than a grey ogre that's going to make you leave mana open. It's definitely a viable sideboard option vs. blue since you don't have the faerie-crushing Jagged Scar Archers or Lys-Alana Bowmaster.

Also, someone was considering 16 or 17 lands, and I'd have to say 17 no question for this deck. You can't survive with so few two drops, and playing aggro, if you miss your third land drop with this deck, you're probably not coming back.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have missed of what non basic lands you got (assuming you got some) they could make a minor difference to the overall deck build gwb is clearly the most powerfull deckbuild and sealed thats generally what counts the most.
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
You seem to have missed of what non basic lands you got (assuming you got some) they could make a minor difference to the overall deck build gwb is clearly the most powerful deck build and sealed thats generally what counts the most.

guessing by the fact that he didn't post any he didn't get any
Vesuvian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not bad. Fairly decent actually. There are 3 "Merfolk" in the deck, and even without any more merfolk it messes up combat math for the opponent. You don't have to let it sit back, at worst it's a grey ogre, which isn't that bad when you need to be dropping creatures and swinging.

The key thing though is my build simply plays the best cards. If you cut the sniper what other card are you going to replace it with? Shields of Velis Vel? That card is awful, especially in an agro deck. Burrenton Shield Bearers is an overcosted Hill Giant. The only possible replacement is Forfend, which would let you swing with a swarm into large blockers once.

So to sum up, the merfolk is still decent on its own, and in this case there's no better replacement.

Quote:
Also, someone was considering 16 or 17 lands, and I'd have to say 17 no question for this deck. You can't survive with so few two drops, and playing aggro, if you miss your third land drop with this deck, you're probably not coming back.

I think 16 lands is very viable for this deck, especially since it is playing Fertile Ground and the curve tops out at 3. The only reasons I decided against it was because the card quality dries up anyways, so might as well have another land instead of a bad card, and because of the 3rd colour splash, so the extra land helps prevent colour screw.
Avata

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some factors:

1. Personal preference. Are you more comfortable in aggro, or in control? Are you more likely to make mistakes in a long game, or get frustrated when an aggro plan doesn't work?

2. As a control build, does this deck have the card quality to win the long game against other decks, and the curve to surive the short game? (I answered "Yes" to the w/u/b build, since you have strong early drops and late game bombs.)

3. As an aggro build, do you have enough redundancy (example, 2/x cards for 2 mana) and early drops to ensure a strong start in every game, and the reach (in the form of trample, giant growth effects, removal, or burn) to squeeze in the last few points if the board stalls?
(The green/white/black aggro deck certainly has the reach, but it just lacks the early drops. Pack's Disdain isn't going to see play on turn 2, fertile ground doesn't put pressure on the opponent (and, after turn 3, will become far less useful since the curve tops out so low) and Militia's Pride is a very slow start unless you were lucky enough to get one of your two one drops and have your opponent not commit anything to the board early.)

So, that's three good general questions to consider, and why I answered the way I did in this case. I'm guessing that anyone going with the g/w/b version is going to get to turn 8 a lot of games with the ground stalled out, the opponent at 14, and looking at only Ajani, Swell of Courage, and Imperious Perfect as outs to break a stall. You also have Hillcomber Giant against red, but even in a best case scenario, four outs in the deck that will have to go unanswered for a significant amount of time is not where I want to be sitting in the late game.
Femt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your green is great, so I would obvious choose it. Now for second color you could either use B and splash W, or you could use U and splash W.Your W is also some strong stuff, you got ajani, militia pride, crib swap,gold harrier, harpoon if playing U and 2 changeling.
I know it would be hard to decide which color to use, but I really think anything could fit here. Your pool is somewhat great and you have many different ways to explore it, so anything you pick using G would turn into a potentially good deck! Wink
The color to eliminate is R obvious Very Happy
Femt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second, you said you splashed B?? are u insane??? Shocked
You should had splashed W!!
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Femt wrote:
Wait a second, you said you splashed B?? are u insane??? Shocked
You should had splashed W!!

Huh? White is one of his main colors, and switching it around (GB with a white splash) makes it quite hard to play Ajani and Swell of Courage, which are the two strongest incentives to play the color in the first place.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2