Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

San Diego

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
kendiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: San Diego Reply with quote

So, someone I care deeply about is moving to San Diego. I'm trying to convince her not to go, I have about two months to do so. Thing is, she has extended an invitation to me to follow her out there, and I care enough about her that I would. I have no ties holding me down where I am, so I am debating it. I don't know a lot about San Diego and have been doing some research about the area.

What I have learned so far is that the renter's market is pretty cutthroat. With only a 2.58 percent apartment inoccupancy rate, it drives rent prices high and keeps tenants on their toes. I also know the area is predominantly Hispanic, which is fine because I am too so I'll fit right in, though I don't speak the language very well, but I can learn. And I probably will, too.

Here is what I would like to know. First off, earthquakes. I know the area is prone to them. How often? How bad? How safe? Second, winter. I'm used to four feet of snow being an average snowfall, but I can't imagine they get that there. How cold do winters usually get? Hot hot do summers get? How bad is the crime? Job market? Is the public transportation system any good? Basically, what is everyday life like there, and what sort of questions am I missing?
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego is the homosexual capital of the west.
Noremac
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Craze for yet another productive post.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
San Diego is the homosexual capital of the west.

San Fran?
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noremac wrote:
Thank you Craze for yet another productive post.

he wanted to know about San Diego. I don't see how that wasn't a productive post. But yours wasn't.
Daveslusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I would like to know. First off, earthquakes. I know the area is prone to them. How often? How bad? How safe? Second, winter. I'm used to four feet of snow being an average snowfall, but I can't imagine they get that there. How cold do winters usually get? Hot hot do summers get? How bad is the crime? Job market? Is the public transportation system any good? Basically, what is everyday life like there, and what sort of questions am I missing?
I spent my whole summer in san diego and i must say it's a very nice place to live. Earthquakes are not as often as one would think. I expieienced 3 for my 3 month stay and they weren't at all bad. Summers are sorta of hot but i found myself walking every day just to get fresh air. The crime is minimal. I spent alot of my time in downtown and ran into next to no crime. There was this one incident but that wqas solved in a matter of seconds. The transportation system is amazing. I'm from new jersey so i know a good public transportation system when i take one. San Diego overall is a very nice place to live Hope this helps
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people will do what they will

move on if they go
tcook589

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that you don't have many ties wherever you currently are and that it wouldn't be very hard for you to relocate. I think that in itself its a good enough reason to make a change. If this person means enough to you that you'll strongly consider moving your home, it means they're more important than whatever you have going on regardless.

It seems like a great time in your life to take a big risk. This could be one of those defining moments in your life where you look back on it and are glad you made the jump. We're rarely given these kinds of opportunities and when we are, I think we should take them.

Like Mark Twain once said,
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover "

I know it sounds a bit homosexual, but it's something to live by.

As for San Diego itself, I've only visited once and loved it. Although I cannot attest for the transportation, residential market, or crime rate, I can say that it has one of the best auras of any place I've been. Maybe I suggest visiting first and deciding if it, too, is worth the risk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know that many PTQ'S are held in SD. They have 2 strong stores down there that support MTG. ComicCon is held in SD. drake and Josh lives in SD. Nuff said...
Wurly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about 20 minutes north of San Diego so what I tell you may be slightly off but should be relevant (I've lived here for 3 years).

Climate:
-There are very few places in this world that will beat the weather in San Diego. It never goes below 40F and rarely dips below 50F during the daytime. We experienced unusually high temperatures last summer, but in general, the temperature doesn't hit 85F.
-Small earthquakes do happen but major ones are rare and kind of hit or miss (I've never been in a major one).
-It's close to beaches which is a plus.

Rent:
-Extremely high in densely populated areas. Not so bad if you don't mind a 45 minute commute to work.

Public Transportation:
-I am personally not fond of the public transportation system. I originally came from Boston so the comparison might not be fair but I really think you need a car to get around. It's primarily bus based and you can find out more at www.sdcommute.com.

Job Market:
-This is heavily dependent on what you're looking for. San Diego is fairly well off in the biomedical and business areas.

Crime:
-Crime rate is relatively low but car thefts happen frequently.
twodioz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, just go. Call me if you want to chat about it.
AkYo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run It .. I Live close by and there aren't as many earthquakes as you think it is pretty rare imo and I've lived in Southern California my whole life.. the weather is always good even in the rainy winter.. there is a place to pick up cheap cards in the city of industry called "Frank and Sons" (collectibles show) .. Look it up for the location - You only live once.. if you hate it just move back lol !~
AkYo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know that many PTQ'S are held in SD. They have 2 strong stores down there that support MTG. ComicCon is held in SD. drake and Josh lives in SD. Nuff said...

this is true =/ I kinda want to move down to San Diego myself!
kendiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the constructive responses. Craze, I'm not so concerned about the gay people, I'm much more concerned about running into drug cartels or meth heads robbing you for what you have on you to get their next fix. I've been told by an old friend who lived out there that there is a lot of drug trafficking going on in California, I just don't really know what parts.

Originally I'm from Buffalo NY, moved to Massachusetts, then to Maryland. I'm here now and things just got pretty screwy between me and the people I know here, now this opportunity pops up and I feel like I should take it. Believe me, the person I'm referring to is worth moving across the country for. I wouldn't do it for anyone else. But I'm still nervous about it, don't know if I should drop the job I have right now and just go or if I should just tough it out here.

Anyways, I can't believe that statistic about the weather. Rarely above 85? Rarely below 40? That is awesome. Here in Baltimore, I almost died in 100+ degree heat last summer and the winter was practically non-existent compared to what I'm used to, yet everyone still complained.

So, thanks for the info, any extra will be great. Maybe I'll repost more about what I learn about the town and open debate about it. Dio, I'll call you and clue you in on who the special person is.

Oh, btw, who is Drake and Josh? I live under a rock...
denvermagic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake and josh... unless you are 7 and a girl i doubt that would convince you to move somewhere
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2