Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTG: The Banning

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
FusionFire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: MTG: The Banning Reply with quote

I have yet to find the article, but my girlfriend said her boss showed her an article that claimed that shops that hosted and/or sanctioned, TCG contests that require an entry fee/ante, are being shut down due to the relationship to underage gambling. Now again, I have not seen the article and may be a little premature on this, but is there any basis for this argument? I understand where these people might be comming from but I can't see how after this many years of sanctioned GP's, PTQ's, JSS's and infinate FNM's that NOW it would become an issue. Once I see this article I will either link it or scan it for everyone, but for now, is there any one that knows a bit about legal aspects dealing with this idea. I live on Long Island in NY in Suffolk County if the refrence matters.
Amaterasu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, of course...it would bound to happen sometime. People once attacked mtg for its "demonic" themes...and it survived then...

if mtg can survive that...then mtg can survive virtually anything.

plus "ante" is forbidden as stated in the rules. Period.

and if one can consider an entry fee as ante...then people are gambling when they go to amusement parks...except they expect (wow...look at that...except and expect in the same sentence twice!...anyway...) to get fun in return for their bids.
FusionFire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and if one can consider an entry fee as ante...then people are gambling when they go to amusement parks...except they expect (wow...look at that...except and expect in the same sentence twice!...anyway...) to get fun in return for their bids.

Actually what your buying is permission to enter the parks property. I see where your comming from but my uncle is chief of operations at Six Flags: Great Adventure and its permission to the property your buying.

It seems the debate started when someone comming home from a JSS complained to his parents how this one deck which his parents remember it called DargonStrom (sounds awfuly like DragonStorm) was so unfair cause it was all based on luck and no skill. The parents went to the store and got the details. Apparently armed with a LACKING knowledge of the game, went to a lawyer thinking that Magic was a game of pure luck and no skill(and yes D-Storm took no skill only luck to win) and therefore saw it as gambling. Of course, people with no lives saw this as an oppertunity to make noise and went forth on it. I have been looking over the true definitions of the word "gambling" and found that the activities of card shops running SANCTIONED events are not bound by these guidelines, however, places running events where players pay an entry fee and are rewarded with a prize of lesser value than the total pool created by the entry fee's ARE GAMBLING and are in violation of the affecing state guidelines.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is horrible! Now all tournaments will have to be free!

Is that a bad thing?
Avata

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't amount to anything. The exact same stupid argument could be used for just about anything.

When I was little, I had to pay an entry fee to play little league baseball, and at the end we got a trophy.

Teams were created and paired randomly, that's "luck" right?

Little league = gambling!
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avata wrote:
This won't amount to anything. The exact same stupid argument could be used for just about anything.

When I was little, I had to pay an entry fee to play little league baseball, and at the end we got a trophy.

Teams were created and paired randomly, that's "luck" right?

Little league = gambling!

I always wondered how Sonic always "randomly" got all the good players every year. its rigged.
Spyx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Netherlands all the entry money is spent on the price cards Very Happy

I can see why magic is seen as gambling. The luck/skill required is similar to poker. You need to draw the right cards (luck), but also need to know how to play these cards the best (skill).
plusua

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Gambling with MTG Reply with quote

I think MTG contains may contain elements that would consider it as gambling. Now if someone could kick start the legal process in a particular state or area then it would be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Let's consider the idea then, say if MTG overall as a sanctioned game is one form of gambling. How would this affect the game played at sanctioned events, well there would have to be restrictions too numerous to mention one would be the age permitted to participate. There would also be those who view gambling as an addiction which opens a whole new slew of concerns for parents, etc.

Magic is addictive and expensive and as such people who play the game find themselves taking a gamble each time they enter a contest oriented event. However, with a entity like Hasbro Inc. behind MTG it would take years in a court of law before anyone begins to admit these things about MTG. In my opinion MTG is a money maker under the complete control of its own managements who continue to oversee its functionality in order to maintain its interests both as a institution and their special interests as a leader in CCG's worldwide.
Jayzus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion is absurd, as is anyone who actually believes MTG to be a game of chance, like roulette or blackjack. Obvi there are elements of luck involved. . .just like all of life. . .but to qualify as a game of chance, skill must be an essentially negligible factor. That's why there's a lawsuit going on currently (one more legit than the lawsuit being referenced in this thread) claiming that Poker is not a game of chance.
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
****** removed text because of language ***

(NICO)

Darn, it was a good one. Oh well, I'll save it for the bar tomorrow =P

Sorry if I offended anyone.

lol apparently you did, son.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1