Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorial Service

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
VinylDragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Memorial Service Reply with quote

Well, MTGSalvation has finally finished the full 301 card spoiler of Lorwyn for all eyes to see. Now as we all know, MTGSalvation has not always been 100% correct on wording, card names, or even full cards in general, especially well before the release. However, within minutes of the completion, there we txt files on the forums for MWS patches and people already in MWSgames with the lead in "T2 W/O RAV + LOR". I checked a few games out, using my UW control and my RB Aggro, jsut to get a feel of what is gonna be out there in force. To be honest, I am not all that impressed with the new set. Now mind you, I havn't seen EVERY card in play, nor used to its fullest extent. However, with all that Lorwyn has built itself up to be, I still feel that, as the first set in a new block, it lacks the sheer power, or domance, that a 301 card first set of a new block shoud be. For example lets take a look at Ravnica's top few cards (in my opinion, not based on any poll or statistical refrence)
<p>
Dark Confidant - card draw attached to a two drop beatstick
Remand - Early game stall with deck thinning attached
Char - 4 Damage for 3 Mana, hmmm lets think.......
Giant Solifuge - Can't target, Can't chump block with out trample damage = goodness
Shock Lands - Where do i begin, cards that are used in EVERY FORMAT.
Dredge Mechanic - Its just keeps comming back !!!!!
<p>
These are just a FEW of the cards that ravnica alone brought to the format of T2. With huge expectations from WoTC, where are all the semi-broken, obviously soon to be $15 cards at? Now, most of us would think that the new Plainswalker concept would more than make up for it. However, I have yet to see ONE SINGLE person, use any of them in any form or fashion. Now most of you may not be to familiar with how exactly the PLainswalkers differ from any other creature. So i'll break it down for you by linking you to the wizards site that breaks it down for you: <p><url>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/planeswalkers/week4</url></p>

Crazy huh? Basically you get another set of abilities and an additional combat target for around 4 to 6 mana. However, you need to remember, it doesn't matter if its in play when you hit 0 life. They are not platnium angels......
<p>
So with all this said, whats my point? Well all I am looking at is this: what is Lorwyn bringing to the table to replace the outgoing Ravnica set. To be honest, I have only seen MAYBE 4 or 5 cards that could have slight effect on the format. Lets take a look at a few right now (Plainswalkers will be addressed in a later potion):
<p>

We will start with the Command Cards:
<p>
<b>Austere Command</b> - 4WW
Sorcery (Rare)
Choose two - Destroy all enchantments; or destroy all artifacts; or destroy all creatures with converted mana cost 3 or less; or destroy all creatures with converted mana cost 4 or greater.
<p>
Now i'd be lying if I said the effect on the card was horrible, but at 6 mana it seems a bit slow to be used in abundance. Definetly a 1 or 2 of in most W/X decks.
<p>
<b>Profane Command</b> - XBB
Sorcery (Rare)
Choose two - Target player loses X life; or return target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard to play; or target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn; or up to X target creatures gain fear until end of turn.
<p>
Definetly my favorite command card, mutiple uses, great effects and with a X casting cost, it give it versitility among a black deck, especially if paired with green mana accell.
<p>
<b>Incendiary Command</b> - 3RR
Sorcery (Rare)
Choose two- Incendiary command deals 4 damage to target player; or Incendiary command deals 2 damage to each creature; or destroy target nonbasic land; or each player discards all cards in his or her hand, then draws that many cards.
<p>
At first glance I say possibilites in this card, especially with the built in pryoclasm effect added with the char effect without the drawback. Then I say that ever painful word in any red burn card: Sorcery!!
<p>
<b>Primal Command</b> - 3GG
Sorcery (Rare)
Choose two - Target player gains 7 life; or put target noncreature permanent on top of its owner's library; or target player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library; or search your library for a creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
<p>
Not a bad dig card with an added bonus of life gain or noncreature removal. Will most likely be a 2 of in some G/X decks.
<p>
And the big one everyone is raving about:
<p>
<b>Cryptic Command</b> - 1UUU
Instant (Rare)
Choose two - Counter target spell; or return target permanent to its owner's hand; or tap all creatures your opponents control; or draw a card.
<p>
Now, ALOT of people are 50/50 on this cards potential. However, with people trying out LOR decks on MWS servers, I have seen this card, rip apart some serious stuff. MOST of the time it becomes a 4 mana remand thats a hard coutner. Definetly a 4 of in any blue deck, as it has, in my opinion, the most versitility. Don't be surprised if this card hits $18+ per card.
<p>
The command cards seem to have a hold as far as the power of Lorwyn how ever, I forsee certian creature cards having a major effect on game play:
<p>
<b>Gaddock Teeg</b> - GW
Legendary Creature - Kithkin Advisor (Rare)
Noncreature spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater can't be played.
Noncreature spells with {X} in their mana costs can't be played.
So great is his wisdom and spirit that many who have met him say that they stood before a giant of a man and talked to the wisest of the four winds.
2/2
<p>
While its only a 2/2 its effect alone is enough to slow down most major cards like WoG, Damnation, and most of the command cards.
<p>
Doran, the Siege Tower - BGW
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Shaman (Rare)
Each creature assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
"Each year that passes rings you inwardly with memory and might. Wield your heart, and the world will tremble."
0/5
<p>
Wheres wall of stone when you need it, this card alone jsut make Wall of Roots a wicket 2-drop. I smell the rebirth of the BWG control deck, which anyone who knows me is my favorite multi color set up. Say it with me "Greater Good with Yosei and Kokusho."
<p>
And my personal favorite:
<p>
<b>Wort, Boggart Auntie</b> - 2BR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman (Rare)
Fear
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target Goblin card from your graveyard to your hand.
Auntie always knows which berries to lick, which kithkin to trick, and what to do when either goes wrong.
3/3
<p>
Goblins were bad enough when them came and went from play. Now they come in, go out, and come back again, and again, and again...........
<p>
Now of course theres your new mechanics that come with the sets. Lorwyn brings us more than a few. Champion, Hideaway, Clash, and Envoke
<p>
Champion: When this comes into play, sacrifice it unless you remove another [Creature type] you control from the game. When this leaves play, that card returns to play
<p>
Anti Wrath tech. Great for "comes into play" effects as well.
<p>
Hideaway: This land comes into play tapped. When it does, look at the top 4 cards of your library, remove one from the game face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.
<p>
Has alot of potential, some more so than others but definetly will have effect on play since it basically adds an extra card to your hand that can't be removed.
<p>
Clash:Each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost
<p>
New flipping coin tech, but to me sems a little pointless as most of the cards it is attached to would be seen in aggro decks when the low casting cost of most of the cards would have you lose the clash anyway. Not to much play now, but the future may so otherwise.
<p>
Envoke: You may play this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it comes into play
<p>
Kinda like Court Hussars "if you didn't play it with W, sac it" but gives a little more versatility. Still is a creature though and can only be played as a sorcery.
<p>
Now one of the most discussed topics about Lorwyn is "whats gonna replace my shock lands". There has been alot of talk about the Lorwyn lands, and living up to the glory of Rav/Dis lands. What made the Rav block lands so good is that they had basic land TYPES in the name. Godless shrine was a Sawmp and Plains, Temple Garden was a Forest and a Plains, there fore searchable by farseek, Wood Elf and Flagstones. Without that little added bonus, the lands will hardly ever live up to the RAV block lands. The LOR lands will probably have around the same base value as our current pain lands.
<p>
My prediction is simply this: Lorwyn will be a slight disappointment to all those who fell in love with ravnica, there is no comparable cards to replace whats being lost in the rotation, and all we can hope for is that the future sets will make up for the huge loss we have with Ravnica block leaving the T2 format. To all those who love Ravnica block, there will be a memorial service at your local card shop at midnight on the final day of ratation. Please bring your junk commons and a white candle to light and burn in memorial of our huge loss. <i>RIP Ravnica</i>[url][/url]
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too soon. Wait until you've at least seen the cards to start bashing the set.

Weren't you that guy that said Goyf sucked 2 days after the FS release?
Avata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the dredge mechanic was almost completely unused until the release of TS block (FS specifically).

There are plenty of cards in Lorwyn that stand alone on power level, and plenty of cards that encourage new archetypes or significant revisions to old ones.
ant900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avata wrote:
Also, the dredge mechanic was almost completely unused until the release of TS block (FS specifically).

There are plenty of cards in Lorwyn that stand alone on power level, and plenty of cards that encourage new archetypes or significant revisions to old ones.
in T2 you mean, dredge saw its fair share of play in other formats
Mainard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some creatures with flash can be played as an instant if they have the evoke, plus the sacrifice using the stack will allow the UU counterspell to utilize a little more hopefully more flash evokes will be in the next set.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1