Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Reich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: WW Reply with quote

I know it's not a good idea to get excited over the new T2 before a full set is released but holy shit WW is gonna kick ass. Any one else thinking about playing it at states?
lennin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no bc aggro decks suck, and i hope u play it at states and lose
thedarkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lennin, don't be stupid. 50-75% of EVERY states in aggro. :\ Check past top 8's. Sure, aggro won't always win, but there is ALWAYS some THERE.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkness wrote:
Lennin, don't be stupid. 50-75% of EVERY states in aggro. :\ Check past top 8's. Sure, aggro won't always win, but there is ALWAYS some THERE.

depends on the player, and how well he knows the deck
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Spike answer"
I really think that it could be a good deck. As long as you play guys that are */2 then you are mostly safe from Sulfur. In fact if you play First Strike guys you benifit from him. Main deck Glorious Anthem, Loxodon Warhammer, and maybe Celestital Crusader make it even better. I have found from some testing that running Snow is good. Scrying Sheets helps dig you out of card disadvantage.

There are a lot of cards that make it worth running like; en-Vec, True Beliver, Calciderm, Shade of Trokair, Goldmeadow Stalwart, and Thoughtweft Trio. I think that with a Snow base with Scrying Sheets or a base with Flagstones, Teramorphic Expanse and New Belinia (spelling?) would give you lots of deck thining so that you can get more threats.

The thing to me that makes mono colored aggro auto lose to board sweeping is the lack of card drawing to dig yourself out of the hole. Does anyone remember playing Necro? The thing that made it so good was the ablity to draw into more guys after a sweep. The only way that WW can get card advantage is with deck thining or something like Jayemdaye Tome. This is not fast enough to come back after a control deck sweeps the board. It may turn out that WW needs another color to support it. (Green-Harmonize to hard to cast/Blue-Foresee piece of cake to splash/Red-Browbeat great when you have board advantage)

FYI Aggro decks that have card drawing and some control elements can rule a format. Wizards has made sure that no one color can do that ever again. With this in mind I do not think that pure WW with break the format.

"Johnny answer"

Hey I get to play all of the best undercosted guys in Standard!!! Two differant 5/5 guys for 2WW that have synergy wow!!! Let's not forget about the anti-other-aggro Aven Riftwatcher that also has synergy with Thoughtweft Trio. You have the anti-'Goyf Stonecloaker. All of the cards play so well together it's like playing slivers! (Hey that gives me an idea...) Cool lands and some great anti-control cards like Sacred Mesa and Whitemane Lion (I laugh in the face of your spot removal). All I have to do is play around the counters and not over extend vs Wrath of God/Damnation.

So that is pretty much both sides.

I am more of a "Spike" I would say.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend (don't know if he still plays here) told me to always play control in an unsure enviroment. His rating proved it.
Questar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a veteran WW player. Back in '95 I played standard WW with crusade, white knight, lions, armageddon, etc... I quit magic in '97 then started again last year. I played WW in PTQ's and got 15th and 6th place in the two I attended. I'm telling you this so you can know I'm not some noob who's all Johnny about WW. WW was GREAT in block, it won a PTQ and placed in some top8's. It was consistent and if it weren't for a REALLY bad draw in game 3 of my quarterfinals ( i lost to the eventual champion) I am almost positive I would've won the whole thing. That being said, I would guess that WW will be kind of awkward in Standard. Here's why:

1)Lorwyn WW (i.e. Kithkin) wont' mesh well with block WW (nimbus, priest..) simply because of the lack of tribal label. Kithkin stalwart sucks ass unless you play with a TON of kithkin tribal. Surge of Thoughweft is the same, good card, but not MD worthy unless ur kithkin, the list goes on... IMO You'd have to do either 80% kithkin WW or 20% kithkin WW. In the 80% version you would rely on the kithkin tribal effects while instituting some bombs such as Serra Avenger or Soltari Priest, or maybe even Knight of the Holy Nimbus. In the 20% version, I would take my WW deck from PTQ's (Edison, NJ) and add that 2/2 lifelink for the blade of the sixth pride, and possibly Ajani, and maybe a few more cards like that 3/3 flyer with removal.

2) Card disadvantage.

3) No Gaddock Teeg!

4) No answers for big bombs such as Doran, Siege Tower and such. (cant' sunlance him, temp iso wont take away his ability)

That's all for now, let me know what you guys think.
Questar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3wind wrote:
Let's not forget about the anti-other-aggro Aven Riftwatcher that also has synergy with Thoughtweft Trio.

No it doesn't.
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Johnny said. It is great.

1 2/2 for W guy
2 Knight
3 Riftwatcher
4 Trio

That puts you in 16 point life swing on 4 if you get the nuts draw. Do the math...

I say whatever... Don't say that I said it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1