Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W/B Rack

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Alandariel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: W/B Rack Reply with quote

Ever played BG Rack versus Quagnoth/Dodecapod? Yeah, it's annoying. Well, I think I have found the solution. Castigate.

By the way, a deck does not need to have Tarmogoyf in it to win games. Ghost Council and Tombstalker are great finishers, and the Ghost Council is (if you were around for Kami/Rav T2) quite hard to deal with. Sure, you don't have a 3/4 or 4/5 on turn 2 as with BG Rack, but with enough hand disruption to shake a stick at and still fairly decent early threats in the Shrieking Grotesque, the deck holds its own. Did I mention that turn one Urborg, turn two Flagstones/Smallpox is a beautiful (albeit rare) thing.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// NAME: Untitled Deck

// Lands
5 [10E] Swamp (1)
1 [TSP] Urza's Factory
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 [GP] Orzhov Basilica
4 [10E] Caves of Koilos
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
4 [GP] Godless Shrine
1 [GP] Orzhova, the Church of Deals

// Creatures
3 [GP] Ghost Council of Orzhova
3 [FUT] Tombstalker
4 [GP] Shrieking Grotesque
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [FUT] Augur of Skulls

// Spells
4 [TSB] The Rack
4 [GP] Cry of Contrition
4 [GP] Castigate
4 [TSP] Smallpox
4 [TSP] Sudden Death

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 2 [RAV] Darkblast
SB: 3 [GP] Mortify
SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 4 [TSB] Dodecapod

Feel free to tell me your feelings about this. Go ahead and flame, I know you're going to, and I don't really care. You make yourself look stupid, and generally your opinions are ruled out because of your immaturity.

For those who give actual input, I thank you for your time. Your help is invaluable.

Thank you,
Alandariel
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG rack is good cuz it has a lot of big 2 drops. 4c finishers are bad and confidant hitting tomb is bad too
brottor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Insert Flame Here]
Alandariel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUNGTACTICS wrote:
BG rack is good cuz it has a lot of big 2 drops. 4c finishers are bad and confidant hitting tomb is bad too

Yeah, I might cut two of the Tombstalkers for some Warhammers. They make every creature I have a house. As for BG Rack, the only 2cc threat it has is Tarmogoyf. Rats and Augur aren't threats at all, and yeah, Call of the Herd is amazing, but I have evasion in the Shriekers and Ghost Council should never die. On that subject, how is he bad? You said 4cc finishers are bad... do you know what he does? He lives. Forever. He lives through both Wraths and targeted removal. The only things that hurt him are Pithing Needles and Sudden Death. He's an amazing finisher. Go look at W/B Ghost Dad from Rav/Kami block.
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah did i mention hes incredibly slow.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a control deck? Once they're in topdeck mode, I don't care how long it takes really. Don't forget I have other creatures that can deal damage as well.

Try the deck out. In testing the matchups are almost identical to BG Rack, except you don't get raped post-sideboard by Quagnoth and/or Dodecapod.

[EDIT] Don't forget about The Rack. If I get it out and kill their hand, there's not a lot they can do. The Ghost Council is just an extra punch in the face.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a b/w discard deck similiar to this (budget though). I have a couple Sacred Mesas in the md as well though. They work great with Ghost Council. And a single Crovax Ascendant Hero to pump them both as well as get around the wraths/damnations/etc. But then again I am not running Confidants (due to price). The deck does fairly well. If it gets a descent opening hand and hits its early land drops, it usually wins.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacred Mesa... I'm an idiot. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'll definitely be testing that one tonight. Thank you.
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the tomstalker with stupor because you need more disruption there, if you want to test sacred mesa them you will be playing a control deck, betther use mobilization because it suites betther on a aggro-control deck (you'll never have enough mana to abuse sacred mesa)

however i do think BG rack is betther deck than this one and dodecapod is not such a problem...i say this because no-one (according to me!!) should discard the opponent on turn 1, 2 or maybe 3 you first need putrefy or dammnation on hand...quagnoth is really a big problem Sad
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the tomstalker with stupor because you need more disruption there, if you want to test sacred mesa them you will be playing a control deck, betther use mobilization because it suites betther on a aggro-control deck (you'll never have enough mana to abuse sacred mesa)

however i do think BG rack is betther deck than this one and dodecapod is not such a problem...i say this because no-one (according to me!!) should discard the opponent on turn 1, 2 or maybe 3 you first need putrefy or dammnation on hand...quagnoth is really a big problem Sad
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESTRUCTOR wrote:

Yes, Quagnoth is a problem. He is the main problem. And this deck needs a strategy to win, and Tombstalker is a fairly good one.
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ok but quagnoth is a SB card, so using something on MD to beat a SB card is not a good idea, added to your SB if you want to...also need to find a way to beat angelfire wich is a popular deck and maybe the best deck on the meta
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... Castigate is one of the best cards in the format. Not only does it fit the theme of the deck, but it also hurts control decks BADLY if they let it resolve, and actually hurts just about everything. It's not amazing versus aggro, but it's still useful in game one until you side it out.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1