Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye Boros???

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
charliebrown

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Goodbye Boros??? Reply with quote

I know Boros Deck Wins has been a tier 1 deck before planar chaos came out, but things are looking grim. It's safe to say that the days of using Soltari Priests, Savannah Lions, and Icatian Javelineers are gone. That BDW is dead. Sulfur Elemental is too good against it and is played in many decks (i.e. Izzetron, Gruul, and is a sb card for many red based decks).

I have spent at least 200 dollars making my BDW deck and I don't want to have to spend more money for another deck to play. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is still trying to make Boros a playable deck.

It seems to me that it has a great matchup against dredge because of its speed, a coin flip between dstorm (crucial on who goes first), and has a horrible matchup against izzetron because of 4 maindeck sulfur elementals.

Please post decklists and your own analysis of how boros deck wins fairs with the reigning aggro deck Gruul. Gruul is considerably better in the meta, but I have recently gone undefeated against Gruul with this version of Boros Deck Wins:

MD:
4 Char
4 Lightning Helix
2 Magus of the Scroll
2 Stonecloaker
4 Boros Swiftblade
3 Blood Knight
1 Sulfur Elemental
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Keldon Marauders
1 Scorched Rusalka
3 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
8 Mountain
2 Brute Force
2 Taste for Mayhem
4 Rift Bolt

SB:
3 Sulfur Elemental
4 Honorable Passage
4 Ronom Unicorn
4 Cryoclasm

I know its just red beatdown+plus boros swiftblade with burns but it's still boros and it works well. Please post your suggestions and thoughts.
Thanks
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boros swiftblade is generation X boros. it uses sulfur to its advantage. i like griffin guide in this deck. im also a fan of 4 sinew 4 cautery sliver but the 2drop is always thick in r/w aggro.

out of curiousity... where are u from. i traded 4 ronoms and other cards to a friend last night with a card-for-card list same as yours. -2 mayhem for something. even 1 sulfur main and 3 side. craziness.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Boros??? Reply with quote

charlie2291 wrote:
I know Boros Deck Wins has been a tier 1 deck before planar chaos came out, but things are looking grim. It's safe to say that the days of using Soltari Priests, Savannah Lions, and Icatian Javelineers are gone. That BDW is dead. Sulfur Elemental is too good against it and is played in many decks (i.e. Izzetron, Gruul, and is a sb card for many red based decks).

I have spent at least 200 dollars making my BDW deck and I don't want to have to spend more money for another deck to play. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is still trying to make Boros a playable deck.

It seems to me that it has a great matchup against dredge because of its speed, a coin flip between dstorm (crucial on who goes first), and has a horrible matchup against izzetron because of 4 maindeck sulfur elementals.

Please post decklists and your own analysis of how boros deck wins fairs with the reigning aggro deck Gruul. Gruul is considerably better in the meta, but I have recently gone undefeated against Gruul with this version of Boros Deck Wins:

MD:
4 Char
4 Lightning Helix
2 Magus of the Scroll
2 Stonecloaker
4 Boros Swiftblade
3 Blood Knight
1 Sulfur Elemental
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Keldon Marauders
1 Scorched Rusalka
3 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
8 Mountain
2 Brute Force
2 Taste for Mayhem
4 Rift Bolt

SB:
3 Sulfur Elemental
4 Honorable Passage
4 Ronom Unicorn
4 Cryoclasm

I know its just red beatdown+plus boros swiftblade with burns but it's still boros and it works well. Please post your suggestions and thoughts.
Thanks

Taste for Mayhem is barely playable in limited, let alone constructed. The card disadvantage is too great. Drop them for 2 Calciderm instead.
cjthedude

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOROS WONT DIE
Y2Jonline

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just play Mono-red?

14 Mountain
4 Keldon Megaliths
2 Ghost Quarter

4 Scorched Rusalka
4 Magus of the Scroll
4 Blood Knight
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Giant Solifuge
4 Sulfur Elemental

4 Seal of Fire
4 Rift Bolt
4 Char
4 Volcanic Hammer

This isn't anything I've tested; I just threw it together off of the top of my head...but it doesn't seem bad for what's basically a budget version of Gruul. Your basic 20/20/20 model (with Keldon Marauders really being more of a burn spell than a creature). The fairly high creature count also seems pretty good with Scorched Rusalka. Though, admittedly, with a top-end that finishes at 4, it probably needs a couple more lands. Also, since the curve is so tight, the Megaliths might not be worth it. But that's all open for debate.

My line of thinking is, if you want to make a build of Boros that's good even in the face of Sulfur Elemental, why not just take out the white? Sure, Swiftblade is nice vs 1 Sulfur Elemental, but against 2, it suffers the same fate as the rest of the white legions. I just don't think Lightning Helix is worth fighting to include anymore.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try with slivers. I don't know about watcher sliverf, bc for 4 you boost all toughness of slivers by +2, but Sinew on turn 2 is always good also maing it a 2/2 and then etc...
Bigshow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try with slivers. I don't know about watcher sliverf, bc for 4 you boost all toughness of slivers by +2, but Sinew on turn 2 is always good also maing it a 2/2 and then etc...
Bigshow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliebrown

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: k Reply with quote

kdffgfdgdfgdfgfdgdfgdf
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1