Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiss Cheese

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments

Do you think Trials should be Swiss
Hell yes
68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
Nah
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
I don't really care
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

Craze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Swiss Cheese Reply with quote

Ok, so everyone knows me. I'm famous, I'm like the ML version of Satan but with no horns. So everyone knows through out the 2 years I've been playing here, I've tried countless ways and methods to help the league.
-I was a moderator(removed for stupid reasons)
-I brought hamachi
-I brought large attention to the forums through extracurricular activities
-I have a stake in pretty much everything.
-I've done about a months research on alternite programs like OCTGN

Now I mention this to let you know my main thing is to try making the league better not as if it isn't good as it is, but it is free meaning improvements always can be made.

My biggest MTG pet peeve is when people ignore a deck that has gotten results on ML, all because their too ignorant to realize the jank of the week they play sucks. I HATE it when they try DEMEANING the results of trials/masters here.
First thing, its gay for 2 reasons...
1. Where the hell do they think they play most of the time? here...
2. ALOT of different sites barn off our results. We produce the largest results and right now have been using TS the longest.

But one of the many things they get me on, is the fact that single elim makes a horrid result producer. And their right, luck can make huge differences in single elim and its rather gay seeing as most of our tournies are single elim.

I understand the minis being single elim, but why are the trials? Well I imagine its because ML's process of swiss. Gfo/Koen have to take entries through the site and manually pair every round. A little hard to do, but don't even pretend theirs not easier ways to do it. I'm sure the site has to have some way or could have a way to pair a swiss tourny. And more importently the benefits of making trials swiss are not to be overlooked,
1. It would increase the prosperity of the league, giving more of a professional edge to things.
2. It would make our results 1000 times better no longer allowing lucky ass decks to win trials.
3. It would probably even kill the average bad rep ML has for most of its players just starting out(their is a pro playerbase, and not that small of one either)

And of course I provided a poll to see how many players want swiss.
I also leave the floor open for ideas on how a daily swiss system would work online.
Please no flames.
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPempire wrote:
cause those wouldn't take a year to do. MAsters are whole day events, and some trials are as big as masters

English is always nice.
I think your trying to say that a swiss trial would take a year, and let me remind you that often Trials are huge and do take the whole day, masters actually generally take shorter being as they are swiss.

length isn't the problem
iKe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If trials were swiss they would take Very Long. Not everyone would want to play for 9 hours for a chance of 2 byes in a master. Also they have to use some system(I Forgot What It's Called) to do the Master pairings. And I don't think most of the judges know how to use it.

I don't think Swiss Trials are a good idea. Swiss mini's would be cool though
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what 'stupid reasons' were you removed for??

also there have been 100 posts about this, i dont think yours is goin to change things.
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasa wrote:
what 'stupid reasons' were you removed for??

also there have been 100 posts about this, i dont think yours is goin to change things.

Really? Cause I've never read one....

And as you can tell by my post count
I get around these forums more then most
Gerrardfo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a swiss script. It's just too much for the site to handle. I advise you to not start typing your response (whoever reads this) just yet. The swiss script will destroy the site for even as much as a small 8-max mini. If we tried swiss trials, it'd be practical suicide.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about some sort of modified swiss where the bottom players are elimanted like every 2 or 3 rounds.
MTGFAN911

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would only happen if

A.Had a better server to use the swiss script
A1/2. If they were getting paid
B.had more time on their hands to run trials the same way they run masters.
B1/2.If they were getting paid,
C.If they were getting paid.

Seriously, if youve been in a master you know how many people have problems , mess up etc. The TC uses his entire day up to run the master. He cant even participate in it. He just sits there and does pairings, solves peoples problems, listens to bad music and eats popcorn.
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he could eat pizza
WasD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, the trial winner makes 6-0 or so, that cant be just luck, so his deck is good, and this is equal for top3-4, also swiss would take too much time and the feedback wont be that big :>
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obv
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1