Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Spiral - Too Powerful?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

Time Spiral - Huge power creep or not
Yes
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 43

AlexTrebek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm they aren't going to spoil cards that aren't on the high end of the playable spectrum because that would be terrible marketing.
raging_hobo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding right? I don't even see many cards I would consider "good" let alone too powerful. The cards that have powerful effects either take way too long to put out via suspend or cost way too much. The only things I can imagine being close to too strong are the split second spells as was mentioned in another thread.
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's people who say this every set.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRINKALCOHOL wrote:
There's people who say this every set.

a) i agree with this

b) the value of t2 isnt going to go to extremes b/c of these cards, the only reason anything would go up is b/c wizards is raising the MSRP on booster packs

c) nothing is way too overpowered considering everyone has access to the same cards, hell... just for going to the pre-release and playing in a flish, you get 1 of the better cards from most ppl's opinioins just for playing (lotus) so dont sit and think that this doesnt happen every set, b/c it does, and not every single powerful rare is going to skyrocket in price... prices are determined solely on the economy, supply and demand, deck popularity, etc.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds crazy to me. The cards we've seen are ok, nothing that really jumps as "OMIGOD BROKEN!!1!1". Rav block had tons of good/really good cards, mostly at the common/uncommon slot.

Mortify/Putrefy
Some of the guildmages
fetters
plax frog
plaxmanta
hit/run
vitu ghazi
helix
so on

Nothing (save for the split second removal/art destruction) seem close to these cards. I think we'll have to wait and see, but right now, no way is there a power creep.
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people think there is a powercreep is because they are doing bad versions of BROKEN cards. They get caught up in thinking that the brokenness of the old card makes this a good card as well. Most "fixed cards" are rarely playable in T2.

Wizards is getting real good at keeping the power level even recently. They spend a lot of resources to make sure a certain card won't make or break a format anymore, because they lose players that way (ie affinity and when there was an exodus of players because of it).

The T2 format right now is as healthy as it ever was, and they want to keep it that way. More playable decks=more money for Wizards. More packs would be bought/cracked to get more cards so people can buy these cards needed for their decks.

When people see things like "Ancestral Recall remake" they are going to think good card. Not necessarily the case.

Plus, look at all the cards rotating out that are T2 staples right now. We are losing

Jitte
Meloku
5 dragon finishers
Isamaru
Hinder (but Cancel is coming in which is a good replacement)
Kagemaro
Ink-Eyes
and so on.
metzel_usa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last POWER set was Kamigawa....almost every staple you see in a deck (aside from amana bases) is mostly from Kami block... Type 2 will see an entire new format when that rotates out. Control looses alot of its good creatures(possibly replaced) but aggro looses its best card, Jitte(I dont think there will be a replacement), but even tho thats the case I think aggro will make a great surge due to control loosing its most powerful creature/s. Timespiral so far isnt anywhere near a POWER set. The fixed p9 cards are not good unless you hit them turn 1, 2, or 3 and they kind of die any later (3 turns to wait for 3 mana?? cmon) the recall is alright but nothing spectacular.
MTGFAN911

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. there is no such thing as a too powerful set. even though faster gameplay etc may change the game everyone is elected to the same card pool so you can play just as powerful deck as player A , B or C. The only time this is untrue is in the case of clamp affinity or another deck where the deck was better than every deck in the format. Seriously i boarded 15 cards in against affinity with clamp and still lost. So as long as all the cards in the format are similiar power level and open up several viable deck types nothing will be banned and./or too powerful.

Second- as for prices , those will probably go up just due to the fact booster prices are going up. prices will also vary according to the goodness of the card (especially multi format cards , what are shock duals at right now as an example)

Third - All of the cards previewed so far are not really IM GETTING BANNED kind of cards. Ancestral Vision is good in the first turns of the game. Jaya is sweet , and scroll rack cant really be called bad, All of the split second cards are going to be REALLY good. But none of them help a paticular deck to the point where you cant play a diffrent deck than that one or a deck designed to beat that one.
Lackeos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken Little is an idiot. Quit crying that the sky is falling.
Colossus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKF wrote:
Salvaging Station + Lotus Bloom actually works now, because they changed the rules so a card without a mana cost have a converted mana cost of 0. So its at least three free mana per turn.

It's basically:
You may get three mana of any color each turn.

Whenever a creature dies, you may get three mana of any one color.

I see a slight error in your calculations...

Salvaging Station is a Horrible card. Period.
Colossus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKF wrote:
so you'd say that trix decks suck because Illusions of Grandeur and Dontate are horrible cards by themselves?

also, that was just an example. cards with converted mana cost of 0 can be easily broken.

No, because those are actually good together, and made a good deck, you combo happens to have one shitty card no matter how you look at it, and another good card, that work well together, but is way to slow to be of any use to anybody, yes, there might be ways to make it useful, the the task of setting it up just so, really wouldn't be worth it.

OH NO, WE MUST BAN ORNITHOPTER! AND PHYREXIAN WALKER1?!/1...mishra's bauble???
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTGFAN911 wrote:
First. there is no such thing as a too powerful set. even though faster gameplay etc may change the game everyone is elected to the same card pool so you can play just as powerful deck as player A , B or C. The only time this is untrue is in the case of clamp affinity or another deck where the deck was better than every deck in the format. Seriously i boarded 15 cards in against affinity with clamp and still lost. So as long as all the cards in the format are similiar power level and open up several viable deck types nothing will be banned and./or too powerful.

There was this stupidly broken set called Urza's Saga and the rest of the block. Dont forget about that one.
MC_Kejml

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, TS is overpowered by my opinion, neverthless you say. So... you are talking about other editions, ravnica, huh ? That is .. duals, prolly. And maybe some good U and R, true. But you havent got something that is uncounterable , that wrecks multiple decks (No , this is not about tog, as people who know me would say, its like .. UG RG , No-Stick, and if i want to,i'd find more). Then , we got purple cards. This will be a great powerhouse on T2, as it wouldn't be so expensive these times.Akroma ? Browbeat? Many others? Wtf? No, sry, i wont say welceome to those houses.(It wouldnt change ext much , but T2?)
Then what...hmm, perhaps legends. They should be rare and old as they were, with pictures that people liked, not the modern anime/whatever pics.
I don't know, but I'd rather have another fallen empires or Homelands...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2