Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking Judge Tests

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
niknight

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Taking Judge Tests Reply with quote

I would just like to give a couple of pointers to those who take judge tests in the future:

1. Give explainations. A simple yes/no response will be marked wrong, even if it is technically correct. What we want to see is that you know why yes, or why no. This is the primary reason people fail.

2. If you use terminology, use it correctly. It is very annoying to see somebody use the word priority, when they obviously don't know what it means.

3. Don't Cheat!! Judges are in pretty much every league room. If you cheat, we will catch you!

I'll add more later, but for now I've got to get to class.
Craze

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Don't Cheat!! Judges are in pretty much every league room. If you cheat, we will catch you!

Let's not say this.

hehe...just being realistic
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I got 3/10 because in most questions I only sais yes or no. Since 1 or 2 questions said explain I thought that in the other ones i didn't have to explain.
hawkeye1542

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man...it really would've been nice to know that they wanted explanations for all answers before taking the test. it seems inherently unfair to never ask for an explanation, either on the test or on the test description page, and then count a question wrong that had the right answer due to lack of explanation.
Counterlife

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrogbaPT wrote:
Man I got 3/10 because in most questions I only sais yes or no. Since 1 or 2 questions said explain I thought that in the other ones i didn't have to explain.

Ditto...I gave small explanations....but didnt know I had to write a friggen essay....3 more months....
20piass

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where we take the test?
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. I'd like to note that even though it does say you can take it again in 3 months...It's almost never that soon for majority of the people who took the test.
It's generally closer to 6 months -_-
- Bejeezus
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here as far as the essay answers. when you take the DCI test they go over your answers with you in the interview so they know that you know why you gave the answer you did. taking a test with a time limit hampers how long you have to think about an answer and then have to write 3 pages explaining yourself. even the online judge sample tests for DCI give you multiple choices. some of those are really close to each other that you would need to know the difference to get the correct result.
Gerrardfo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that the DCI rotates a high majority of the questions on their test every two or three months, so when you retake the test, it's almost completely different. We can't always do this, so doling out answers doesn't work.
ant900

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you take the test and if you get a 8/10 or better you will be come a "half-judge" or a judge in training, which usually lasts for a week. its pretty much is there to make sure you are cut out for the job and so that you know what to do, anyways when they reset the test you will set it on the announcements
niknight

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To respond to most of you:

We don't require an essay. We only require you to know what you're talking about. If that takes a sentence or two, so be it... if it takes a paragraph, that's fine too.

One last tip I'd like to leave you with

Some questions have multiple parts, and in these questions if one portion of your answer is incorrect then the entire answer is incorrect.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the time limit doesn't help. AT least it should be 1 hour nor half an hour.
Laplie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strovil wrote:
Form of the test - while I already know the opinion on this, at another league they give the test live. That allows you to explain yourself and to get answers when you are wrong.

We used to do this in the past (I actually was one of the testers). The problem is that there were never enough testers for the people that wanted to be tested. Also, test 1 person meant both you and the tester had to devote a half hour to the test. If a tester test 4 people a day, that represents a two hour commitment.

The new system allows a much faster turn around time.

BTW, tests were A LOT harder when they were done live. If a person was doing well on a test, I would start to choose questions which were harder: its a lot easier to fail someone then to pass them. If they passed, you were sure they knew what they were talking about.
Plubby

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i received my results for the J1 test on November 22nd last year and scored 10/10. I believe LordHawk said it was the first 10 he'd ever marked.

I've still not heard any word back via email - but 'Hawk mentioned in IRC that i was not properly removed the last time i was a judge (real life forced me to quit for a while) and this was causing problems re-adding me to the judges section.

has this been problem been resolved - will i be able to be a judge if i take the test again? am i able to take it again?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2