Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card 338 [Judged]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Grok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Create a Card 338 [Judged] Reply with quote

For this week's contest, your job is to design a "build-around uncommon." These cards often do nothing by themselves, but become very powerful if you draft around them. If your card is part of a theoretical set that doesn't exist, give a little context about how it works in the draft environment you are envisioning. You can also design a card that would improve an existing draft set.

Examples: Molten Nursery, Skywise Teachings, Burning Vengeance, Astral Slide, Spider Spawning, Blightcaster.

The deadline for submissions is Monday, November 16th.

Last edited by Grok on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
OctoOoze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinforcement Squad -- 1UWG -- Creature -- Human Cleric -- Uncommon
If counters would be placed on one or more permanents, that many counters plus one are placed on that permanent instead.
3/5

This would be in a 3 color shards set, except the main 2 colors would be the enemy color pair and the 3rd color would be a splash. The theme of bant would be counters, and each shard would have a powerful uncommon related to their theme, but they affect both players.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hungry as a Wolf 2G
Instant U
Creatures with no abilities you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.
"The wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill"

I made a little brother for Overrun with a bigger surprise effect because of instant speed.

With a non permanent card, you need to have the good board before using your "build around unco". Timing is key. You need to build arround this one mainly because of the Muraganda Petroglyphs effect.

You may play it in a token deck for exemple (Selesnya? It's easy to splash with white).

It may be played as a massive green removal spell. Or as a finisher with the good board.
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissed off Mechanic 1R - 2/1

Vedalken Rigger

Tap two untapped Riggers you control: Assemble a Contraption.

Flip a coin: If it's heads, untap a Rigger you control. If it's tails, randomly deal 1 damage to a Rigger you control. Only activate this at sorcery speed once per turn.
astronaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliver Hivecaller 2GW

Creature - Sliver

Kinship - At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a creature type with Sliver Hivecaller, you may reveal it. If you do Sliver Hivecaller becomes a copy of that creature until the beginning of the next end step.

1/5
johnpyp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call of the Hunt -- 1GB

Sorcery

Creatures with power or toughness 2 or less get -2/-2 and gain defender until end of turn.

Creatures with power or toughness 3 or more get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.

Hundreds came to the sound of the horn. 10 survived till the end of the hunt, but they were stronger than a thousand men.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawnslight Trumpeteer 1WW

Creature - Human Knight [Uncommon]

1WW, T: Put a 2/2 white Human Knight creature token onto the battlefield.

Whenever you cast a Knight spell, untap Dawnslight Trumpeteer.

2/2
IvanDano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil's Playground

1BB

Uncommon

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

As long as Devil's Playground is on the battlefield under your control, activated and triggered abilities of Devil and Demon creatures cannot be activated.

Assumption with return to Innistrad and the reason Demon's aren't played is their drawback, why not let them loose and have some fun.
Grok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reinforcement Squad -- 1UWG -- Creature -- Human Cleric -- Uncommon
If counters would be placed on one or more permanents, that many counters plus one are placed on that permanent instead.
3/5

In a 3 color shards set, I am assuming this card would be easily castable in a Bant deck. If that is the case, I think I would play this card whether or not I had any counters in my deck as a slightly undercosted creature. This fails to be a "build around" card because there is little incentive to warp your deck around it. For comparison, something like Hardened Scales does a better job of encouraging a deck built around +1/+1 counters because no one else at the table is going to pick it; you can actually get rewarded for putting suboptimal cards in your deck that come around late and get better together.

The other issue with this card is that it affects both players. Wizards has been pretty clear lately that they simply don't make symmetrical cards like this anymore. I don't think a card like this could be printed in a real set because of this rule.

Quote:
Hungry as a Wolf 2G
Instant U
Creatures with no abilities you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.
"The wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill"

This card definitely qualifies as "build around," and it works as an uncommon because it is slightly undercosted for its effect if you can make it pump all of your creatures. I'm not sure how interesting a set would be where you are encouraged to draft vanilla creatures, but that is beside the point.

The only flavor issue with the card is that it should possibly be white, not green. Wizards has stated in the past that mass pump effects generally go in white, unless they are very large pumps (+3/+3 or greater) because white is the color of lots of creatures teaming up and working together.

Quote:
Pissed off Mechanic 1R - 2/1

Vedalken Rigger

Tap two untapped Riggers you control: Assemble a Contraption.

Flip a coin: If it's heads, untap a Rigger you control. If it's tails, randomly deal 1 damage to a Rigger you control. Only activate this at sorcery speed once per turn.

I realize this card was included as a joke, because you didn't provide any context of the set it exists in and therefore I have no idea what a contraption actually is. Let's assume for a second that contraptions have already been defined; I think this card works well to encourage you to assemble them while providing an extra ability that reflects the unpredictable nature of a rigger. The card itself is playable as a 2/1, but no one is going to take it unless they are already in the contraption deck. Again, having no idea what a contraption is, I would want to take this card in a draft and find out.

Quote:
Sliver Hivecaller 2GW

Creature - Sliver

Kinship - At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a creature type with Sliver Hivecaller, you may reveal it. If you do Sliver Hivecaller becomes a copy of that creature until the beginning of the next end step.

1/5

This is a pretty cool design. In a set full of Slivers, it is multicolored and weak enough that few people outside the Sliver deck would ever want it. I kind of hated the original implementation of the Kinship ability in Morningtide, but it works better on your card because it makes sense mechanically (rather than just giving creatures +1/+1 counters). Most Slivers have static pump abilities, and if you get multiple copies of the same Sliver out in one turn you double your payoff.

Quote:
Warren Corpsecannon............RR
Enchantment............................U

Whenever a Goblin you control dies, Warren Corpsecannon deals damage equal to that creature's power to target player.

"Ogg make better weapon than he did goblin."

I can imagine this card being deceptively powerful in a set that supports it. When a Goblin attacks, you're taking damage from it whether you trade with it or let it through. It synergizes with sacrificing Goblins, which I assume your set would include (like Goblin Grenade) and works even better with pump spells. Overall this is a clean, simple design that only one narrow deck would want to pick, and it gives drafters a clear direction when they see it.

Quote:
Call of the Hunt -- 1GB

Sorcery

Creatures with power or toughness 2 or less get -2/-2 and gain defender until end of turn.

Creatures with power or toughness 3 or more get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.

Hundreds came to the sound of the horn. 10 survived till the end of the hunt, but they were stronger than a thousand men.

I'm not sure I understand what this card is trying to do. You realize that with your current wording, a creature that is 2/3 would get both -2/-2 and +2/+2 at the same time, right? Unless you mean that their combined power and toughness adds up to those numbers? This also isn't really worth building around, because you can't just not put 2-3 drops in your deck and expect to win. Finally, pumping creatures that are already large is counter-intuitive design because they benefit less than smaller creatures from the boost. Unless you expanded on a set-wide theme that involved counting the combined power and toughness of every creature, I don't see how this does anything. A better approach might be to look at toughness, so you can reward players who draft 1/4s by pumping them for a big swing because normally those creatures don't attack well.

Quote:
Dawnslight Trumpeteer 1WW

Creature - Human Knight [Uncommon]

1WW, T: Put a 2/2 white Human Knight creature token onto the battlefield.

Whenever you cast a Knight spell, untap Dawnslight Trumpeteer.

2/2

First of all, this card should not be an uncommon. It's power level is much closer to a rare card as an infinite, relatively cheap card advantage engine. On top of that, you added an ability that makes it slightly better to attempt to make it "build around." However, this card will be played in literally any white deck whether or not it contains other knights. The untap clause doesn't synergize well with the ability because it is relatively expensive, and if you are casting a knight spell you probably don't have the 2WWWW additional mana to make another token. I think you fell into the trap of making a great, powerful card that doesn't actually need any support, and therefore doesn't qualify as a build around uncommon.

Quote:
Hamburger Line Cook (2G)
Creature - Minimum Wage Employee [Common]

Whenever a card is put on the bottom of your library from your graveyard, you may put another card from your graveyard on top of your library.

2/3

I get it. The cards from your graveyard go on the top and bottom of your library like the buns, and your library itself is the patty. So the creature is literally making a hamburger. You should be ashamed.

Quote:
Devil's Playground

1BB

Uncommon

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

As long as Devil's Playground is on the battlefield under your control, activated and triggered abilities of Devil and Demon creatures cannot be activated.

I wish you gave some example cards so I had any idea of what effect this card is having. My mind immediately goes to Kamigawa's Ogres, who had specific drawbacks unless you controlled a Demon. I think those drawbacks would have to be pretty large before you started considering playing a 3 mana enchantment that does nothing by itself, and at that point you would have to question why you are building a deck with so many drawbacks if most of your cards are unplayable by themselves. Still, it is an interesting effect that hasn't been done before and it is very flavorful.

The winner is Stucco with his simple but effective Warren Corpsecannon, and Astronaut is the runner-up.

I think some of the other submissions would have been a lot stronger (and easier to judge) if everyone listened to the directions in my first post. Some of you designed cards that were so different from the examples I gave that I doubt you have drafted around a "build around uncommon" before. The Limited Resources podcast does a great job of explaining what these cards are and why they exist, and I would encourage you to listen if you are at all interested in limited design theory.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hamburger a lot. May be my number 1.

For my card you missed the point : tokens are vanilla creatures most of the time, a gw token deck with cards like bestial menace would be perfect for hungry as a wolf. And I like vanilla creatures like watchwolf.

You may be right for the color!
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://magiccards.info/fut/en/121.html This is the only mention of riggers and contraptions ever. I didn't give any context because there is none.
Grok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinete_dV wrote:
http://magiccards.info/fut/en/121.html This is the only mention of riggers and contraptions ever. I didn't give any context because there is none.

I know, that's why I said I knew you were making a joke. Anyone who follows Maro knows that contraptions are a running joke because he hasn't come up with what they actually do yet. However, in my directions for this contest I asked you to either create a card that slots into an existing draft set, or invent a card for a new set and explain the environment it exists in. You designed a card without specifying what its set would look like, so I had to extrapolate. I think it would have been perfectly reasonable to also suggest a possible solution to the contraptions problem, which you chose not to do either.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go next!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronaut, if no sign of stucco, you should take over!
ScootchClose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contaption Whisperer 2R
goblin rigger 1/3

R,tap- assemble a 0/1 contraption creature token with
'' sacrifice this contraption; choose one; contraption deals 2 damage to target creature or player, or, exile the top card of your library, you may play it until end of turn.''
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2