Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle Class Magic (MCM)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
archmage521

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Middle Class Magic (MCM) Reply with quote

this new format contains only uncommons, except for basic lands.

In order to be uncommon, the card must have been printed as an uncommon at least once.

The format follows the legacy banned list.

Minis will be made this week by me at least, and a ban list update will come at the end of the week.

Happy Brewing!

Banned Cards (you may not include these cards in decks for tournaments)

Amulet of Quoz
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Bazaar of Baghdad
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Bronze Tablet
Channel
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Earthcraft
Falling Star
Fastbond
Flash
Frantic Search
Goblin Recruiter
Gush
Hermit Druid
Imperial Seal
Jeweled Bird
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Memory Jar
Mental Misstep
Mind Twist
Mind's Desire
Mishra's Workshop
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Mystical Tutor
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Rebirth
Shaharazad
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Survival of the Fittest
Tempest Efreet
Time Vault
Time Walk
Timetwister
Timmerian Fiends
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Worldgorger Dragon
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yawgmoth's Will
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH COMBO BREWING
StarWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countertop seems alright.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is known as "Jester's Magic" and people with brains and a tendency to preserve their mental health do ban top in their rounds.
Since it is not as cheap as pauper no one actually plays it, so it has no reason of existence.
Livermush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:
Since it is not as cheap as pauper no one actually plays it, so it has no reason of existence.

No need for that kind of comment on this kind of post.

But seriously, it sounds like a fun format, as long as a bunch of annoying decks don't degenerate from this.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read what was written there in the first place, but guessing it being something that had to be edited, I have to explain my post a bit more. I am certain we have a miss understanding.

Pauper's original cause was money. Pauper is still cheaper than a lot of other constructed formats. Over time it evolved into a fully established, yet not sanctioned, format. It is by no means a bad format. I never intended to badmouth anyone playing it or the format itself.

My point was, that this origin of being cheap does not apply to jester all that much. Yes it is still cheaper than legacy, but that is not the issue here. Jesters derived from pauper as people found out, that there are more rarities than common in magic. King's magic came to existence the same way. People bleeding a working concept of one rarity only into different territory of other rarities.

Jester's Magic has the benefit of being the most challenging of the three. You have none of the common workhorses like Ponder, Doom Blade or Lightning Bolt nor do you have the engine centerpieces you often find at rare. Also most of the more powerful cards are denied this way.

Nevertheless there are some pretty impressive cards in this pool, and yes counter top is theoretically legal, but extremely format warping and friggin annoying. So yes, if you want to play a one deck format and get every spell countered you cast, keep top legal. It is your time, not mine. The main goal is to enjoy yourself. If my personal opinion of fun and mental state of people who like to torture themselves offended anyone, deal with it.

My choice of words in the first post was way off. Jesters does have reason to exist, it just has no support because of its lack of purpose other than being an uncommon pauper. Aside from being yet another format it has nothing special going for it.

Just to clear thing up, I ADORE this format. It is by far my favorite, since the above mentioned restrictions breed so much more creativity than pauper. To understand that you will have read about the task of rarities in magic. A quick summary: Common is supposed to carry the backbone of mechanics, uncommon to show nice twists on them and rare to make them look and play as flashy as possible.
Naturally common cards provide more fodder for your decks, so concepts are supported by more a broad basis of cards but lacks flashy centerpieces. Commons are, well... , more common ya know.

Rare gives you nice build arounds but has a severe lack of tool spells.
Uncommon is in that middle ground where you can breed without having to fully renounce on either tools or centerpieces. Especially newer sets where given lots of toys to play with.
Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this sweet UW Counter Thopter deck built. It has Standstill as it's main cardengine, and so it uses Factories and Wastelands to function under Standstill. It also has a couple of Fact or Fictions. Tops for some filter and Sejiri Refuge and Flooded Plain (the bad fetch) for mana fixing and shuffles for top. Even though the deck has six come into play tapped lands and seven colorless manasources, I haven't ran into much problems except a relatively slow start. Enlightened Tutor is also in the deck. To help shuffle and find the combo, next to having a small toolbox of enchantments like Oblivion Ring and Counterbalance (which I just run one of). I even run a Control Magic, I just love that card.

Naturally it plays Force of Will, Swords to Plowshares, Counterspell and a couple of Spell Snares. It's pretty much the control/combo deck playing all the good uncommons of legacy. It's more fun to play than it looks. Maybe because it's ridiculously overpowered considering the format's available cardpool, but it's strategy at the moment is quite straightforward and can easily be trumped if a deck is geared toward beating it. So I thought I'd share my deck, to get some more discussion and development going. This format is fun.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1