Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What may be the birth of M.L Team Sealed format events

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: What may be the birth of M.L Team Sealed format events Reply with quote

Recently drafts.in added a new feature, the "Draft editor". what this feature does is allow 1 person to create a pool of infinite number of packs. This can be used for Team sealed.

Team sealed is a limited format that is 3 player teams. What you may be asking yourself is how would we monitor and filter out the cheaters. No offense meant but they have to be handled or they ruin our toys.

How this would work would be simple. During registration for the event you would indicate who your 2 team mates are and who is the "team captain". The team captain has the job and responsibility to deliver the hash tag and deck list to their team mates and to M.L. The Captain would go to drafts.in and Generate a pool of 12 packs. they would download this pool Without making a deck. This generates a Hash. Submit that Hash to M.L Then go to cockatrice and P.m their team mates. give them the deck copy. The team mates would copy said deck into their sideboard (each team mate will have the ENTIRE poll in their board/deck) Each player would build their decks and be fully allowed to pm each other during their games. You Team has to win 2 out of 3 matches. So if players A-c is a team and d-f is another team and players A and C win best 2 out of 3 games then the other match has no bearing and can be stopped Team 1 would advance. If any player was suspected of an illegal deck the judge would examine the "Master hash" submitted by the Team captain and the deck in question. If there is a proven cheat here the entire Team would be disqualified and the captain would be issued whatever M.L punishments as this was his responsibility. By having it that way it promotes people to know their teammates.

Now a problem I am not sure exactly how to deal with yet is Round pairings. I do not know how M.l generates rounds and this could be an issue. Possible solutions is to have the Team registered as a whole unit so Team 1 would face Team 6 and so on, and have the players in the team decide who they each face. Or we could assign each person in the team a seat so Team 1 would have 3 seats and 3 names and those people never get up. So seat 1 always faces seat 1 and seat 2 always faces seat 2, and so on.

For individual rating i think your rating would only change based on who you faced. As for the match that did not finish it would be a Draw and neither would loss or gain any points. You want rating points, beat your opponent faster.

The tourney itself would be single team elimination I assume. If there can be a swiss system in place I would like that but i feel it generates more work on an already impressive workload.

If there is anything I did not touch on, please fee free to commit as this is an idea in progress and hopefully soon it can be a New fun format of play for us all to enjoy.

One last word on cheaters. If you must cheat in this you will ruin this idea and your actions will result in this wonderful format being rejected and lost to us. So think hard about your choice. You hurt us all, and yourself. I am fully behind a 2 strike rule for the captains. if their team is caught cheating on 2 different occasions then that Player is Not allowed to Captain another Team at the very least and other punishment is up to M.L standards.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cautiously optimistic. The only real problem with this is that team sealed events have notoriously low turnout and ML has been having trouble getting a large number of people lately.
Hoppity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you prevent two members of a team from playing the same card from a pool? Particularly with powerful uncommons, if both players have one, it won't be that weird and would be very hard to detect/suspect in-game.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As presented, this would not work currently on ML due to multiple factors. One factor is the high potential for abuse when creating pools. Another is that ML has no way to do "team pairings" outside of manually pairing through an off-site program and manually uploading results after (similar to how we do masters). Third, the ratings don't work out the way you are hoping. If you draw, it is possible to gain or lose rating in the Elo system. After that, needing to individually track each match and opponent makes the upload of ratings much more difficult for the TC and staff. If we had the ability to create a new rating category and make it team specific, then we could make this work (your team has a rating, not you) but ratings don't exactly matter for teams overall. The best way would probably be to attach team ratings to the team points feature, but then your team rating wouldn't care about the 3 specific players but about whoever used that team name and assumes all 3 members are on that team.
It is a bunch of cool ideas, though, but right now I don't think it is very doable outside of just doing like team drafts for ranked limited rating but each individual match is it's own ranked match (since applying a sweeping win or loss against each opponent if you didn't actually win your match or lose your match seems kind of bad and fraudulent).
I'd love to see what we can do behind the scenes to maybe make this work in the future at some point, if anything.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good points stated above. As i said this was mainly an idea and I wanted some feedback. If this is not possible right now that is fine but the idea is here and we can progress it in the future. I got the "editor" function on drafts.in and the creator is working on having a "draft print-out" soon. so even if this idea does not go all the way, I am accomplishing things that help our collective future.

Hop, on your point it would be up to the opponents to "suspect" said cheating. obviously if you saw 2 powerful white decks out of 1 team you would wonder about it. As there is a possibility that this event would require 2 T.o's to run as 1 would just be a "deck checker". Needless to say his topic may be a little premature but I wanted to get the word out and let other people turn some gears.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1