Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 286, Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Frozen_Fire
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: CaC 286, Judged Reply with quote

Hello there!
Time to judge all the entries now, some of them have been quite nice, while others missed some points or made assumptions that were too broad for common cards. Enough talking, let's dive into the judging!

Long Shots

ShamedShadow
ShamedShadow wrote:
Willcracker Mage 3U

Creature - Human Wizard [Common]

Masterstroke (When this creature attacks or blocks, you may discard an instant or sorcery card. If you do, this creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the converted mana cost of that card.)

2/2

This card/mechanic is arguably more powerful than Stormchaser Chimera, which is a bicolor uncommon, so the power level is really high. Also, some medium color pie issues (Blue doesn't get +X/+X all that often) and repeatability issues (How many discard:+X/+X can I jam in a set at common level?).

Soundgarden
Soundgarden wrote:
Ok my submission is:

Duplication - Whenever this creature dies, you may pay an amount of mana equal to its converted mana cost. If you do, put a token onto the battlefield that’s a copy of the creature.

Aside the "Is a Death trigger a combat mechanic?" debate, I see medium complexity issues (cloning at common does not happen frequently), plus color pie and power level issues. I read this mechanic as "Providing you have enough mana, this creature never leaves the battlefield. And you get an ETB every time too!". Stalemate generation is one of the reasons we don't see Skeletons as a consistent tribe. (and skeletons are black)

Beejezus

Bejeezus wrote:
Intuitive Scholar | 1U

Creature - Human Wizard (Common)

Whenever Intuitive Scholar attacks,
subconscious 1. (Look at the bottom card
of your library. You may put that card on
the top of your library.)

He doesn't know how he knows the
answer, he just does.

2/2

This mechanic doesn't actually interact with combat, but just does something unrelated when a creature attacks. While the mechanic helps you finding some cards, it doesn't actually help the creature in the fight.

Balaviaris
Balaviaris wrote:
Blink - Whenever this creature would be dealt combat damage, exile it instead, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.

Faerie Dragon 2UU

Creature - Drake C

Blink, Flying

2/1

As said before, immortal creatures are problematic at common, both for power level and stalemate concerns. (Again, how many of these can we jam into a set at common?)

Stucco
Stucco wrote:
Tidal Scout.........................UU
Creature - Merfolk Soldier.....C

Islandwalk

Refraction (When this creature attacks, target creature gains all keyword abilities of this creature until end of turn.

As the sunlight hit the water, the orcs saw only fleeting mirages of the darting Merfolk.

2/2

As it is, this mechanic grants evasion (which is contrary to the guidelines). More than a combat mechanic, this is a tool that grants other creatures a combat mechanic once you have found it. But yeah, let's find a good one first.

Dr_Moo
Dr_Moo wrote:
Mechanic: Mindmeld - Whenever a creature with Mindmeld enters the battlefield, its controller Scrys X, where X is the number of creatures with Mindmeld he or she controls.

--------
Seaside Prophet - 2U (Common)
Creature - Human Wizard

Mindmeld - When Seaside Prophet enters the battlefield, Scry X, where X is the number of creatures with Mindmeld you control.

2/3

Nope, not a combat mechanic.

Almost There

sc4rs
sc4rs wrote:
Merrow Matriarch
U
Creature - Merfolk - Common
School (Whenever this creature blocks, it gets +0/+1 for each other blocking creature you control.)
1/1
"There is no such thing as too much prey to a predator. Fortunately, we can use that in our defense."

This is indeed a combat mechanic and can be justified at common if the set is particularly defensive, blue can also get +0/+1 if the set needs it so we're quite good on the guidelines. However, as many of the mechanics related to blocking, it can lead to stalemates (see Banding) and stalemates don't usually generate fun gameplay.

aule

aule wrote:
Mechanic:

This mechanic would require a rule in the CR for its wording.

Insight - When this creature dies in combat, Scry 1 then draw a card.

"Dies in combat" would have a rule to mean "if this creature goes to the graveyard from the battlefield as a result of combat damage from an attacking or blocking creature"

Common creature with mechanic:

Insightful Homunculus | U
Creature - Homunculus | Common
Defender
Insight - When this creature dies in combat, Scry 1 then draw a card.
0/1

Aside the "Is a death trigger a combat mechanic?" debate, I don't see this mechanic as particularly interesting (= replaces itself sometime later), plus it's not that repeatable in common volumes.

Thelemys
Thelemys wrote:
MENTALISM: You may switch power and toughness of the creature blocking or blocked by a creature with Mentalism until end of turn.

Mind Bender 3U
Creature - Human Wizard C
Mentalism
Here is the fatal trouble maker...
2/4

While P/T switch is indeed fine at common level for blue, I don't see this as an interesting mechanic, because a significant percentage of the creatures have square stats (at least the most played ones) and for the rest you either transform an attacker into a blocker (which is not always what you want) or kill a 0/X blocker. So yeah, P/T switching is more situational than it looks.

Livermush
Livermush wrote:
Trickbound Battlemage | UU
Creature - Human Wizard (Common)

Imbue with Cunning (Whenever Trickbound Battlemage attacks or blocks, you may discard a blue instant spell with a mana cost of 3 or less. If you do, Trickbound Battlemage gets +X power where X is the discarded card's converted mana cost.)

1/3

While addressing some of the issues with ShamedShadow's submission (it has a lower power level), others still remain in place, which are repeatability and the fact that maybe we shouldn't give blue too much of +X/+0 at common. Don't get me wrong, this can be good as a set 1-of, but 1-ofs are not good model for entire mechanics.

Bairdsy
Bairdsy wrote:
Wizard Lunatic
1U - Common
Creature - Human Wizard
Dementor - Whenever a creature deals combat damage to Wizard Lunatic, the creature’s controller puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
“The definition of a lunatic is a man surrounded by them” - Jace
1/2

Aside from not actually enhancing combat (which I can commend, in this case), it has quite a high variance to be relevant to a milling strategy, and it's not that useful outside of the mill decks. So yeah, while repeatable and quite fitting the guidelines, I don't think it's that interesting gameplay-wise so it gets an "almost there" rating.

Strid3r
Strid3r wrote:
2U Triton Warrior

Creature - Merfolk Warrior | Common

Glaciate (When this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, tap that creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.)

2/3

Despite being possible in blue and as a common mechanic, I read this as "I'll pass through easily the next turn while slowing down your pace", which something between an evasion mechanic and a defensive mechanic. It's a nice idea overall (aside the fact that Snakes already exist), but I don't see it as a good combat mechanic for a set except in some oddly specific situations.

Good Shots

derflippi
derflippi wrote:
Sensei's Heel - 1U
Creature - Human Soldier (Common)
Awareness - Whenever Sensei's Heel attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+1 for each spell cast this turn.
"Life deals you a lot lessons, some people learn from it, some people don't. - Favre"
1/1

Edit: change cost 2U -> 1U

This indeed looks like a good combat mechanic that plays into blue's tricky part, we're quite good on repeatability's side as well. My only concern is that some people might view it as a temporary growth mechanic, which is quite green (again, +1/+1 in blue is not that frequent as can be +1/-1 or -1/+1). Good shot nonetheless.

iSperia
iSperia wrote:
Mechanic is Freeze X - this means "whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature gets -X/-0 untill the end of turn"
The idea is the creature frosts anyone who is in close range (in combat in our case), so the opponent is harder to deal any damage

Now that's something I really like! Blue is the king of -X/-0 and the mechanic plays into something that we really didn't see that much on creatures (aside Flanking, which is quite obsolete), plus it can give the creature a nice bonus without going into extreme stalemates or various degenerations, (though, just as a safety valve, I would remove the "blocks" part because blue doesn't actually need more defense). The mechanic seems also very repeatable and can scale in many different levels.

pseudodespot
pseudodespot wrote:
Tiven Drake 2U

Creature - Drake (common)

Flying, Supremacy Instead of it's power, this creature deals combat damage to players equal to the number of cards in its controller's hand in excess of the number of cards in defending player's hand.

2/2

Aside from being a little wordy, it's a cool mechanic that plays into card advantage. Its best case scenario is probably too good for a common (7/2 for 2U if I have 7 cards and you have none) but it's not that likely and the situation can go into downsides as well. Overall I'd say this is a good shot.

The winner is: iSperia with Freeze X! Congrats! Second place to derflippi, third place to pseudodespot.

Well, that was fun, but now is time to end this judging session! Have a good one!
Greetings,
Frozen_Fire
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit defeat.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all go next
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing new?
one of the 3 winners please
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If isperia doesnt post in the next 3 hours, I'll post a challenge - I promise there will be proper judging from my side this time ^^
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanky you for victory ! ^_^ Sorry for being absent - was in my business all time along, so did not create a challenge Smile Going to enter flippi's one
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed how weirdly my card interacts with trample. *scratches head*
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1