Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 273, Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: CaC 273, Judged Reply with quote

And here comes the judging! A-F grading system.

sc4rs wrote:
Wavecrasher
U
Creature - Merfolk Warrior - Uncommon
2/1
"The weight of the ocean is behind my strikes. You can no more withstand me than the boulders that turn to beaches."

I've always thought that Fish was pretty much one good one-drop away from being fairly competitive in Modern. Not sure if anyone else agrees but I thought I'd go simple.

Absolutely LOVE it! It's very simple and it would definately be a huge upgrade for merfolk in Modern. My only problem is that it's creature type is Warrior instead of soldier. I think Warrior is more in line with Red or Green and soldiers are more in line with White and Blue, like in LRW block. So I'll give you an A instead of an A+.

A

Stucco wrote:
Aether Relapse............XGU
Instant.......................R

Return each non-land, non-token permanent with converted mana cost X to their owner's hand.

Death and destruction are inferior solutions to spontaneous nonexistance.

Damned boggles...

I don't think this would shake up the meta much at all. If it could return tokens it might as it would be a decent reset that could bounce all twin tokens for 2 mana. This is simply a lazy and uninspired card with lacklustre flavour. No thanks.

C

saurgoth wrote:
Rustproof Hydra ............ X
Artifact Creature - Hydra ... Rare

Sunburst
Protection from green

0/0

Who knew a steady diet of Lhurgoyf could provide such efficient lubrication?

Zero casting cost artifact creatures are always great in Affinity, but this would just die at zero mana, and you need coloured mana to make it a 1/1 for 1, which affinity could have a hard time doing. Any other deck could have a little protection from green creature, but like... who cares?

D

pseudodespot wrote:
Stop the Tinkering 1U

Instant (uncommon)

Counter target spell with converted mana cost of 3 or less.

That my friend, is a gorgeous card. I think you could have used some flavour text, but that's ok. This card is pretty perfect. Problem is with Rune Snag, Mana Leak and Remand, I don't think this card would necessarily shake up the Modern metagame. It's a great card, and I absolutely love it, but it really doesn't fit the criteria as much as lets say, sc4rs's Wavecrasher.

B

YamiKuriboh wrote:

Merfolk Spawn
U
Creature - Merfolk Mutant - Uncommon
0/1
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

When you see someone else already made a similar card that's just plain better than yours, make a different card.

F

pantheismftw wrote:
Ghor-Clan Slaughtermonster RG

Creature - Beast Rare

Haste, Trample

RRR: Ghor-Clan Slaughtermonster deals 2 damage to target player.

"No stand front of bloodpainted beast" ~Ghor-Clan saying

3/2

This could probably make Zoo better..... Zzzzzzzzz.....

C-

Bejeezus wrote:
Two-Headed Firecat | RRR

Creature - Elemental Cat | Rare

Double Strike, Haste

At the beginning of the end step,
sacrifice Two-Headed Firecat.

4/1

Nah.

D

AxiomBlurr wrote:

Woah, woah! We're trying to shake up Modern, not Vintage!

F

bobbytg wrote:
God's command 7

instant mythic rare

choose two : counter each spell you don't control or exile target permanent or put target creature card in a graveyard on the battlefield under your control or search your library for a colorles card not named god's command, reveal it and put it into your hand, then suffle your library.

Wow. This big expensive card sure does lots of things for no coloured mana. WOWIE ZOWIE!!!

F

compucrazy wrote:
Justicar of the Treasury
1W
Creature - Legendary Human Accountant- Rare
2/1

Players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities.

"Gold is the only currency allowed in our lands."

Shuts down phyrexian mana, fetchlands, birthing pod and a host of other things. Thought about making this an enchantment instead of a creature. But figured that would be OP.

This card does what it does, sure, but there's like, 10 1W cards that completely hose archtypes and/or disrupt decks with a 2/X body. I think this would just be another decent option in a pile of decent 1W options. I don't think it would change much of anything.

D

Dr_Moo wrote:
Growing Pains - 1RG (Rare)
Enchantment

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to its controller.

BORING! Zzzzzzzzzzz...........

F-

Thelemys wrote:

Quote:
Ichor Hordes 2BB
Creature - Rat R
Persist, Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
When Ichor Hordes enters the battlefield, each player gets a poison counter.
A disease, a wave of threats that stones or bones canít stop. Rats are coming...
2/2
serious help for melira and poison decks

Ichor Rats is already a card that's the exact same as this card but costs 1BB and doesn't have persist. You're an idiot.

G-

kamphgruppe wrote:
Thrull Neonate (g/b) Rare

Creature - Thrull 1/1
Hexproof

(g/b) Regenerate Thrull Neonate
(3) Put a +1/+1 counter on Thrull Neonate

Thrulls grow at a terrifying pace

Why you gotta use the exact same flavour text as another Thrull card? Why you gotta make a boggle with 2 more abilities? What's the matter with you?

F

iSperia wrote:
Magus of Scars - (B/R)
Creature - Human Wizard (rare)
T: Magus of Scars deals 1 damage to each opponent
T: Damage can't be perented and players can't gain life this turn
0/1

LOL, I love this card. This would most definately shake up Modern without being uber powerful on its own. I like it. I see you even played off that SHM card Scar. Should have used some flavour text.

A

huntergatsby wrote:
Spoiled Aether RBG

Enchantment-(R)

Creatures you control have haste

Sacrifice ~: All creatures get -2/-2.

"When things get bad, they get baaaaaad!" Xenagos

Terrible flavour text dude. Should have just made it cost 1BR as a reverse Fires of Yavimaya. I think the 3 colours in it's cost makes it too narrow and would have a very limited impact on Modern. Neat card though.

B-

GreenBear wrote:
Umezawa's clamp 3 legendary equipment mythic rare

Where ever equipped creature deals combat damage put two charge counters on umezawa's clamp.

Remove a charge counter from umezawa's clamp choose one equipped creature gets +2 +2, target creature gets -1-1, gain 2 life.

When a creature equipped with umezawa's clamp dies, draw 2 cards.

Equip 2

How can combining these two cards not be a good idea?

F

Canabiest wrote:
Champion of the Masses
W
Creature - Human Soldier
Uncommon

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, gain 1 life and Champion of the Masses gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

1/1

With each opponent and each spectator the gladiators fame growth and so does the purse of his owner.

Because of the existence of Soul Warden this should be a rare. That aside..... It's just a dumb, boring card.

D

And that's the end of the entries! I'm going to have to give to win to sc4rs Wavecrasher, with a shoutout to 2nd place Magus of the Scars by iSperia. Good job everyone! (almost everyone) See you next time!
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Harsh Reply with quote

Very harsh comments, perhaps your still in High School.

I did a search of all Thrulls ever printed and did not find the flavor text your talking about. Not sure what card your referring to but it was not a thrull.

I was trying to combine Feral Hydra with Troll Ascetic and not make it too overpowered. If you don't like the card fine, but G- and almost everyone got an F. Get over yourself.
kenny18O

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just asking : what is the problem with my card ?

you asked for a card that could turn a tier 3 deck into tier 1.
7 mana is not that expensive when you get the tron.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put too much stock in this judging for the following reason: Dr_Moo received a grade of F- for creating a card that does Exactly what was asked for.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just how Jacois judges CACs, he never was very good at that and it has not changed over time it seems.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol stucco, you're right!
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing when the next guy apologized in advance for not judging until after 4 days elapse. That sounds pretty quick!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1