Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a card #253 grading

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Create a card #253 grading Reply with quote

Hello welcome to the marking of create a card 253.

The marking criteria.

No matter how good or bad the card, it will not be considered if these criteria are not met

Must be a bear
Must be a 2/2 creature
Must be a character from original ravnica, now Iím going to make an exception on this one. As one a lot of people submitted cards from new ravnica and it is possible they were included in the original books and I do not read the books.

Criteria that gain bonus points

Has abilities, that reflect the desperate search for the cure to the bear curse.

How well balanced I think the card is.

Overall comment on the cards, I was a bit disappointed with the overall quality of the cards. I set you quite a difficult challenge but if you looked at the marking of the previous challenge or just read what I wanted more carefully I think most people could have produced a better card. That said a few submissions really impressed me, mostly those that cleverly linked the abilities and flavour to produce really top quality responses to the challenge.

Submission 1 Rockets-

Obeardat, Ghost Council - 2WB

Legendary Creature - Bear Apparition - Mythic Rare

Intimidate

When Ghost Council of Obeardat enters the battlefield, up to 1 target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 2/2 Bear until end of turn.

WB, Tap: Destroy target Bear.

At the beginning of your end step, if at least one Bear creature died this turn, exile Ghost Council of Obeardat until the beginning of your next upkeep.

4/5

I really do not feel you have read what I wanted properly, itís not a 2/2, if all creatures are bears whatís the point in making something a bear until end of turn. Itís abilities do not feel like they reflect a search for the cure to the curse. Powerwise, it may be a little too powerful, maybe not regardless basic criteria not met. Sadly you do not make the next round of grading.

Submission 2 * Raybelfast

Niv-Mizzet, Bear Genius UUR

Legendary Creature - Bear Dragon

Tap. Draw a card and discard a card.

2UURR: Niv Mizzet becomes a 5/5 Dragon with Flying until end of turn.

2/2

"Slowly regaining his power, his skills were not as powerful as he had been"

Strong Submission, meets all basic criteria. Ability cleverly reflects the struggle to break the curse and flavour, further supports this. Card feels balanced not overpowered and I imagine a power house in limited. Well done you make the next round of grading.

Submission 3 * Scuta04

Bear Speaker Zegana GGUU

Legendary Creature - Bear Merfolk

When ~ enters the battlefield, draw X cards where X is the number of 2/2 creatures you control.

2/2

Good submission basic criteria matched, the search for knowledge represented by card drawing could represent looking for a cure and the card feels reasonably balanced. Congratulations you make the next round of grading.

Submission 4 CMA-Flippi

Bearisdiction - 4UWW
Tribal Enchantment - Bear
At the beginning of your upkeep, detain all bears.
Sacrifice Bearisdiction: All bears lose bear. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery.
Article 119.4a section C phrase 2: In case of emergency or foulness,
all affected objects have to be kept in custody until the emergency is solved.

The Azorius thought to have the solution: absolute isolation. The problem is noone would break out of this quarantine.

I see what you have done here, in your focus on solving the part of the challenge that you have identified will win the competition, youíve sadly over looked the basic criteria. Sadly despite the effort, your solution was innovative and balanced I have no choice but to not pass this submission to the next stage of grading as the basic criteria are not met.

Submission 5 sc4rs

Agrus Kos, Grizzly Veteran
RW
Legendary Creature - Bear Soldier
Red Bears you control have first strike.
White Bears you control have vigilance.
2/2
Agrus Kos has never met a salmon he didn't catch and eat.

The basic criteria are met, however I do not see any attempt to make the abilities reflect the struggle to break the curse. Balanced beater though, I like the flavour text, but without any attempt at breaking the curse you cannot make next round of grading.

Submission 6 * _Godica

Circu, Ursine Lobotomist UB

Legendary Creature -- Bear Wizard (Rare)

Whenever a bear enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile the top card of target library.

Sacrifice a bear: you may play a card exiled with Circu. Mana may be used to pay its cost as if it were mana of any color.

2/2

He recruits his unwitting bretheren for hideous experiments, hoping to find in their deepest thoughts the key to his former self.

Really strong submission, basic criteria meet, breaking of curse cleverly in flavour of character and supported by flavour text, feels balanced. Congratulations you make the next round of grading.

Submission 7 * Mr_Weebles

Forgotten Bear - GB
Creature - Bear (Mythic)

At the beginning of your upkeep, if Forgotten Bear has any Cure counters on it, remove a Cure counter.

Sacrifice a creature: Put a Cure counter on Forgotten Bear. Then if there are three or more Cure Counters on it, transform Forgotten Bear.

2/2

///////////////

Svogthir Reborn
Legendary Creature - Plant Zombie

Hexproof, Trample

This creature's power and toughness are each equal to two times the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

*/*

Even Savra couldn't completely destroy him. The curse breathed new life into his remains and began his journey for renewal.

Very Good submission, basic criteria are met, a flip card was a clever way of dealing with the curse issue. I like the flavour also implying Savra created the curse as this develops the world. Feels possibly as if the card could to close to being overpowered. Congratulations you make the next round of grading.

Submission 8 * Strider

Posted: 08 Nov 2013 19:53 Post subject:

Creature - Bear | Rare

Whenever another 2/2 Bear creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may reveal the top card of your library. If you do, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

2/2

Good submission basic criteria are meet, I feel drawing cards can reflect a search for knowledge to cure the curse, but itís not really reflected in the rest of the card. Close to being OP, as Bob was. Just about makes next round of grading.

Submission 9 Steveman

Posted: 08 Nov 2013 20:16 Post subject:
+1: Tap target permanent, then untap another target permanent. Those permanents are now bears in addition to their card types.
-2: Ral Zarek deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Put a 2/2 green bear token into play.
-7: Flip five coins. For each coin that comes up heads, take X extra turns after this, where X equals the number of bears you control.
Starting Loyalty: 4

Does not meet basic criteria. Does not address the curse. Is balanced. Sadly does not make next round of grading.

Submission 10 domine *
Rakdos, Chaos Bear - RB

Legendary Creature - Demon Bear

Haste

If an opponent's life total is less than 6, Rakdos loses the bear creature type, gains +4/+4 and flying.

"Violence is the answer to this curse, violence is the answer to everything" Rakdos.

2/2

Very good submission. Meets basic criteria, a wonderfully rakdos solution to the curse, reflected in flavour and ability. Balanced card. Makes next round of grading.

Submission 11 thelemys

Brother Bear, Heavy as a Stone 2BG
Legendary Creature- Bear
1G: Target Bear creature loses his creature type and becomes an enchantment instead.
1BG: Destroy target enchantment and all other permanents with the same name as that enchantment.
5B: Return target Bear creature card from an opponentís graveyard to the battlefield under your control.
2/2

okay submission, meets basic criteria, I suppose the ability to turn into an enchantment reflects the search for the cure or could, but the rest of the abilities give the impression this bear has other things on his mind. Powerful but balanced. Does not quite make next round of grading sadly.

Submission 12 mana

Momir Big, Bear Visionary 1UG
Legendary Creature - Bear Wizard (R)
Whenever you cast a Bear, you may search your library for a Bear creature card and reveal it. Put that card on top of your library.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature is 2/2, you may draw a card.

2/2

Okay submission, basic criteria meet and the card drawing rather tenuously as with some other cards links to searching for a cure. However this card feels overpowered in an all bear set so does not quite make the next round of grading sadly.

Submission 13 Stucco

Rawric Thar, the Unbearable..............1GR
Legendary Creature - Bear Warrior.........M

Hexproof, Haste

Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, put a 2/2 red and green Bear Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.

Size does not a leader make.

2/2

Okay submission, basic criteria meet, does not really address the issue of the curse, close to OP but maybe not these days with power creep. Does not quite make next round of grading sadly.

Submission 14 shamedshadow

Teysa, Envoy of Bears BW

Legendary Creature - Bear Advisor [Rare]

Vigilance, protection from bears

Whenever a nontoken bear dies, put a 2/2 black and white bear spirit creature token onto the battlefield.

Bears, humans, ghosts... They're all the same. What do I care what pays me?

2/2

Okay submission, meets basic criteria, no attempt to reflect the curse part of the problem, maybe a little opverpowered also. So does not make next round of grading.

Submission 15 pseudodespot *

Exava, Bear Witch Project 1RB

Legendary Creature - Bear Cleric(rare)

First strike, haste, unleash

Other bears you control with a +1/+1 on them have haste.

2/2

Rakdos won't become aware of this curse unless the crowd gets tired of bear fights. So help from them seems unlikely. --- Niv

Good entry. Meets basic criteria. I think itís perfectly reasonable that the rakdos did not care about the curse, at least I understand how you card is reflecting the challenge of the curse. Feels balanced makes next round of grading.

Submission 16 ck3gds

Bearmara Tandris GW

Legendary Creature ó Bear Shaman (mythic rare)

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Bear creature tokens you control.

Whenever an opponent casts a spell during your turn or when Bearmara Tandris dies, put a green and white Bear creature token onto the battlefield with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Bears you control."

2/2

Okay submission, meets basic criteria. No attempt to address the curse, I donít like the idea of a non 2/2 arbitary stats bear being created. Probably not overpowered. Does not make next round of grading sadly.

Final Standings

Submission 6 _Godica 9.5
Submission 2 raybelfast 9
Submission 7 Mr_weebles 9
Submission 10 Domoie 8.5
Submission 3 Scuta04 8
Submission 8 Strider 8
Submission 15 pseudodespot 8

Congratualations to _Godica winner of create a card round 253, well played everyone if Godica does not wish to submit a new challenge, then the challenge is passed down to the next person on the list and so on.

Submission 6 * _Godica

Circu, Ursine Lobotomist UB

Legendary Creature -- Bear Wizard (Rare)

Whenever a bear enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile the top card of target library.

Sacrifice a bear: you may play a card exiled with Circu. Mana may be used to pay its cost as if it were mana of any color.

2/2

He recruits his unwitting bretheren for hideous experiments, hoping to find in their deepest thoughts the key to his former self.

Really strong submission, basic criteria meet, breaking of curse cleverly in flavour of character and supported by flavour text, feels balanced. Congratulations you make the next round of grading.
_Godica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked it, I'm not usually huge on flavor but Circu was one of my favorite cards from Ravnica and I felt really good about the balance. I will post a new thread before I go to bed tonight.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Nice...posta next...cogratz Godica
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1