Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moon zoo

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Moon zoo Reply with quote

First of all, sorry for my english, i know it's not even close to be perfect but i'm trying my best to do a complete open post about an idea i've had last night...

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [UNH] Forest
2 [UNH] Plains
2 [RAV] Temple Garden
2 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
3 [GP] Stomping Ground

// Creatures
2 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
4 [A] Birds of Paradise
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf

// Spells
4 [RAV] Lightning Helix
4 [A] Lightning Bolt
4 [PLC] Boom/Bust
3 [DK] Blood Moon
2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [DK] Blood Moon
SB: 2 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
SB: 3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
SB: 3 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 4 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist

With this pile of shit i've play a mini right now:

first turn: jund
g1 he didn't expected some moon effect and after some exchange 1x1 of removal and creatures he conceded when on t4 i've dropped a blood moon and a tarmogoyf 4/5.

g2 he fetched on swamp and forest while i've dropped a turn2 blood moon, he conceded like on turn7-8 when i've boom/busted his swamp (for confidant and removals, didn't know his list but maybe i've to destroy the forest (krosan grip & tarmogoyf?)

(-1 sword +1 blood moon)

secondo turn:all-in-red
g1 he win the die roll and goes with 8 goblins on turn1. I've mull to 6 and kept a not-super-hand (2 lands, bolt, goyf, bbelf, boom bust)
and die.

g2 and g3: he never managed to get again such fast starts like g1 and i win somehow by playing as tight as possible.

(-3 blood moon -4 magus -4 boom/bust -1 sword +2 gaddock +3 burrenton +3 finks +4 canonist)

third turn: burn
g1 it goes how it must go...i die.
g2 i win thanks to some finks, i see flamebreak from his sb.
g3 i would win if only i haven't blocked SO bad against an hellspark elemental...there was everlasting torment in play, i didn't have a single card in the deck that can destroy it and then when i could block the elemental with bbelf or burrenton forge tender i've blocked with burrenton because it was just a 1/1 that can't do nothing...but i've forgotten about trample and get two damage by it =_=.

After some turns i've passed the turn at seven with tarmogoyf equipped with sofi (he was like a 5/6), bbelf and some things in hand (helix, bolt, mancer, land), tapped out 'cause of the sofi. He was at nine so i would won the next turn, but with three card in hand and four mana he played keldon marauders+bolt+bolt and i died exactly to zero with his empty hand and the hellspark already unerathed, so i died because of the mistake of the block on hellspark.
The mini-report was only to "prove" that the deck could be competitive, i think that 8 blood moons are actually broken (i've managed to get a 2-1 that sounds like a 3-0 'cause of my mistake by get paired against two decks that are monored while i play a deck builded around blood moons xD). I ask to you guys for improve the deck even more.

I've got some other ideas like:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
2 [UNH] Mountain
4 [UNH] Forest
1 [WWK] Raging Ravine
1 [RAV] Temple Garden
3 [GP] Stomping Ground

// Creatures
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
4 [A] Birds of Paradise
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf

// Spells
4 [A] Lightning Bolt
4 [PLC] Boom/Bust
3 [DK] Blood Moon
3 [NPH] Beast Within
2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
SB: 1 [DK] Blood Moon
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
SB: 3 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 4 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist

Here the deck is just GR with a little splash of white for canonists in the sb. The manabase is way more solid and from the previous list has a better removal (beast within>>>helix) that fit the LD/denial plan perfectly by may be capable of destroy basic lands like boom/bust. I've put the finks md to have some lifegain (with 4 bop, 4 hierarch, 4 forest and 8 green-fetch i don't think the double green it's a problem.) The sb is pretty random (canonist and spellskite for combo, grudge and grip for artifact/enchantment removal, arc trail against aggressive decks of any tipe, 4th blood moon against any decks that suffer it, 4th finks for more lifegain).

The last idea i was thinking about was cutting white for black: Dark confidant would be great to fit the curve (that has a very few 2-drops) and have some way to do card-advantage other sofi and bbelf, and with black i could play removals like terminate or dismember.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: oh, another modern mini...i'm trying the GRw list and let you know how it goes.
EDIT2: i got smashed 2-0 by merfolks. g1 i didn't see a removal spell (only a beast within cascaded with bbelf and countered by cursecatcher), i boom/busted his land t2, 3 and 4 but that he didn't screwed it and with two lands he goes with 3x lord of atlantis and corahelm commander. -3 blood moon -3 magus +3 arc trail +2 ancient grudge +1 finks...i keep 3 lands, bop, goyf x2 and finks...i draw 3 lands and ancient grudge before i die =_=. Well, i'll keep testing now...
fdart17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the best deck just because it's bad in the mirror and bad against artifacts. Therefore I think regular zoo is better.
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justoocool wrote:
It's not the best deck just because it's bad in the mirror and bad against artifacts. Therefore I think regular zoo is better.

In the mirror a blood moon it's almost gg (he has still some removal like bolt, maybe incinerate and grim lavamancer, but nacatls are only 2/2, kird ape are only 1/1 and he can't play the rest of the deck.)

With "artifacts" you mean some tempered steel.deck on just that my opp can play colorless spell?

Anyway, this is of course a meta-deck. By looking the 1st/2nd/4th deck of the modern trial you can see how all those deck just scoop to a blood moon (ask that to -truth- , that is playing all-in-red and winning like three mini in a row):

As i've already said, zoo can cast only some removal spell, then it die.

Ad nauseam-angel's grace has to find BBW to combo out with only coalition relic...

12post.deck...it hasn't his 12 post anymore xD.
fdart17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I just 2-0'd -truth- twice with my zoo deck.. He had moon blood out too I think 2/4 games
ChrRome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but as is it seems difficult to get around a Tarmogoyf or Knight of the Reliquary if they get it online early enough.
Dismember instead of Beast Within might be better as it will allow more efficient use of your mana and doesn't give them a 3/3 that your deck can't attack past too reliably outside of your own Tarmogoyf.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1