Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 173 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: CAC 173 Judged Reply with quote

Unfortunately, trying to "rank" the cards is really hard; so I'm just going to give grades . Sorry for those of you (nobody) who were looking forward to a new judging system.

pseudodespot wrote:
Flickervoid WB

Instant (uncommon)

Chose one --- Remove all counters from target permanent; or for each counter on target permanent put another of those counters on that permanent.

When reality takes a break, the most scary part is always when and where exactly it kicks in again.

-Power level/templating - Better in combo than Vampire Hexmage, plus absolutely absurd with Planeswalkers. Too good.
-Originality - Overlaps a lot with other doubling effects. Sort of expected, unfortunately.
-Flavor - Pretty good, but nothing special
-Grade - C-

Livermush wrote:
Tweedle Dee | 1R
Instant (Uncommon)

Double the value of X in target spell.

--------------------------------------------

Tweedle Dum | 1U
Instant (Uncommon)

The value of X in target spell is now 0.

A split card.

-Power level/templating - A great conditional counter and an interesting combo piece. I don't think it's unprintable but there are definitely reasons to try it out. Doesn't scream "auto-include" though; I think it may prove to just be too conditional overall.
-Originality - Very original; nothing manipulates X in the game so far. I like that this steps outside of the box.
-Flavor - Only good for an Un- set, plus those names would theoretically be on creatures.
-Grade - B+
Ssilhouette wrote:
Spell Steal 4UU
Instant (Rare)

Copy target instant or sorcery spell then counter that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Hold on -- let me show you how to do it properly.

Would be ideal if it was printed in a coreset of any sort. The idea is simple yet effective. Would also qualify as a fun junk rare that sees play in EDH, which is cool.

-Power level/templating - Fine, though the way it's worded makes it a bit confusing what "that spell" means. I think it's way underpowered though; Commandeer wasn't that great and it only cost 1 more for a similar effect. And the worst part is...
-Originality - basically juts Spelljack
-Flavor - OK but nothing special
-Grade - C-
Domine wrote:
Goblin's Pyre - R

Tribal Sorcery - Goblin

Choose one - Spark of Luck deals 2 damage to target creature or player; or flip a coin, if you win Spark of Luck deals 4 damage to target creature or player otherwise it deals no damage instead.

"All you need is a spark, some goblins and with a little luck, they will find the way to set themselves in fire"

Chandra recipe for a pyre

Uncommon.

-Power level/templating - It's probably appropriate power level for an uncommon but it's nothing to write home about. It also will probably turn into "can I win this game on a coinflip" a lot of the time, which seems like it's full of feel-bad moments to me. Not great design from a fun game perspective.
-Originality - A cross between Tarfire and Squee's Revenge. Not particularly new.
-Flavor - Ok, but too wordy.
-Grade - C
PantheismFTW wrote:
Double Or Nothing R

Sorcery - Mythic

If an instant or sorcery spell would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage instead.

At the beginning of the next end step, you lose the game.

"Betting more than you can afford to lose is a great idea, until you lose."

-Power level/templating - It's probably not that great. I don't think it'd see play.
-Originality - Final Fortune meets Furnace of Wrath. Doubling damage isn't particularly new.
-Flavor - Too generic.
-Grade - D
iSperia wrote:
Grave Vortex - B
Instant (uncommon)
For each card in target player's graveyard, that player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"More material means more skaabs..." - Stitcher Geralf

-Power level/templating -Far too good for just B. This could easily singlehandedly turn mill into a viable archetype. And why is this an instant?
-Originality - It's like Psychic Spiral but for the graveyard it's targeting rather than the controller's. Sort of original, but not top of the class.
-Flavor - I laughed, though the name is a little generic.
-Grade - D+
thelemys wrote:

Quote:
Sleepless Night 1UU
Enchantment Rare
Each player takes an extra turn after his or her first one. Creatures donít untap during each playerís next untap step.
I rely no more on memory, my mind is lost or mangled over time.

Art source: http://www.beksinski.pl/

-Power level/templating - The wording is wrong, but I like the idea of each player getting an extra Savor the Moment turn. Unfortunately, just creatures not untapping is probably broken; playing this in a creatureless control/combo deck seems like it'd be very degenerate with you getting two turns to your opponent effectively only getting one.
-Originality - Excellent. Multiple turns for everyone is really cool & new. I like the direction this takes.
-Flavor - The phrasing of the flavor text is bad, but the name matches the flavor of the card and the image really well.
-Grade - A-
Bairdsy wrote:

-Power level/templating - Very hard to judge. I think it's probably too good, because the way the effect is balanced is probably going to be taken advantage of by the deck playing it far more than the opponent. That said, I can't tell on the surface, which is a good sign.
-Originality - Drawing multiple cards is old, but every draw being replaced with a double-draw is definitely cool. I think it's decently original.
-Flavor - Love it. Fits the mechanics perfectly.
-Grade - A

pg8 wrote:
Dimir Impostor -- 1U
Creature -- Shapeshifter (R)
You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except itís still 0/1.
0/1

-Power level/templating - Perfect. I think this is definitely a Clone variant we could see in real life at some point.
-Originality - Not that original for the challenge. Clones exist, and though it's definitely a new and interesting idea for one, it's not really outside the box.
-Flavor - Nonexistent.
Grade - B

Jacois wrote:

-Power level/templating - Definitely a build-around-me card, that I think players would be happy to build around. A cool effect that despite having a pretty severe drawback makes perfect sense and I think is ultimately feel-good about it. Probably wouldn't be tournament-capable, but definitely would be tried I think.
-Originality - Up there. "Doubling" your spells has been done before (Pyromancer's Ascension) but not for a cost like this. It's good but not great in this department.
-Flavor - The flavor tries too hard but the name is funny enough to make up for it.
-Grade - A
Mr_Weebles wrote:
Verdant Forest
Land - Forest (Rare)

Verdant Forest enters the battlefield tapped.

Tap: Untap all creatures you control that did not attack this turn. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

For those that follow its law, the forest will provide.

My idea was to essentially double the effectiveness of mana dorks or pingers.

-Power level/templating - Broken, partially because it's a Forest and partially because it's insane in combo. Anything that makes lands creatures gives you infinite mana with this card, and it's tutorable far too easily as a Forest.
-Originality - Though the effect is unique, and I get where you were going with it, I think there are better submissions. It's one of the higher scorers here though.
-Flavor - So-so. I think the flavor text is good but "Verdant Forest" is super duper generic.
-Grade - C
Canabiest wrote:
Rite of Two Pyres
XR
Instant
Common

Add {X}{X} to your mana pool.

One Pyre is lit on each mountaintop with gifts to the Patrons and while the Shamans sing the mana connects them from horizon to horizon.

(The {X} of course is a colorless X mana symbol)

-Power level/templating - Awesome. Simple, effective, understandable, and no better than relevant rituals. It's like Mana Seism except playable.
-Originality - Doubling mana in a ritual hasn't been done, especially this elegantly. Very, very nice work.
-Flavor - I love the name, and though the flavor text is wordy the picture it paints is really great.
-Grade - A+
AxiomBlurr wrote:

Deux Heads 2BB

Sorcery - Rare

Each player sacrifices two permanents. Then the player with the most permanents sacrifices two more.

Deux Heads are better than one.

-Power level/templating - It's like Barter in Blood, but generally a bit weaker because it gives your opponent more options, and it may be hard to meet its criteria with regularity. It's extremely powerful if you're able to maintain fewer permanents consistently though. I think ultimately where this fails is that it can destroy lands, and playing this on turn 5 on a mostly-empty board turns this into almost Armageddon, which I think is a bit too feel-bad to be really good card design.
-Originality - Barter in Blood with permanents and a black-likes-less design. It's original but not super original.
-Flavor - Making "two" french doesn't make it any less boring, or make the name with the effect make any more sense. Even if everyone sacrifices creatures, that's six heads!
-Grade - C+
Stucco wrote:
Mana Flux.....................................1GU
Enchantment.................................R

The next time an opponent casts a spell, counter that spell unless its controller pays X where X is that spells converted mana cost. When a spell is countered in this way, sacrifice Mana Flux.

To fuel their newest creation, the Simic have ingeniusly diverted Ravnica's mana flow through their laboratories.

-Power level/templating - Confusingly wordy and probably underpowered, considering your opponent chooses what spell is countered, and it's pretty useless late-game.
-Originality - Rethink on a stick. Sort of similar to Standstill. Not particularly original.
-Flavor - I guess it makes sense, but I think the name should reflect the "stealing" referred to in the flavor. Mana Siphoning? "Flux" seems like the wrong word here.
-Grade - B-
Omnom wrote:
Split Card:

Cured 3W

Sorcery (Uncommon)

Remove all poison counters from target player

-----------------------------------

Diseased 3BB

Sorcery (Uncommon)

Double the number of poison counters on target player

-Power level/templating - Probably fair at this casting cost, but honestly why would anyone play this?
-Originality - It's Leeches without lifeloss and its opposite. It hasn't been done before but it feels very generic.
-Flavor - Barely there.
-Grade - D
ikazuchi wrote:
All for Nothing WUBRG
Sorcery (Mythic)

If you control no permanents, gain control of all permanents.

Nothing changed, nothing at all.

-Power level/templating - Far too weak (but I guess that's pretty typical for a WUBRG card) but theoretically could be really fun to design around. I think it would see play in a weird TEPS-like build with all of the Invasion sac lands. I don't know how to judge its power level but it's Mythic so I'm giving it a free pass because it's pretty awesome.
-Originality - Amazing. "Gain control of all permanents" is such a sweet phrase to see on a probably-balanced card.
-Flavor - The name is OK but the flavor is sort of redundant with it.
-Grade - A

ck3gds wrote:
Trying to beat the deadline! Probably won't do well though...

Sickener 2BB

Creature ó Elemental (rare)

Wither

If one or more -1/-1 counters would be placed on a creature an opponent controls, twice that many -1/-1 counters are placed on it instead.

Few can suffer its presence.

2/2

-Power level/templating - I think it's very underpowered for a rare. This would fit better at uncommon. I like the effect though.
-Originality - As with the first submission, doubling counters isn't particularly new.
-Flavor - I love the flavor text! The name is sort of lame though.
-Grade - B

So, the winner with Rite of Two Pyres is Canabiest!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I liked the elegant design myself, there were some other splashy contenders though.
The length of the flavor text I fit to the one line of rules.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sc4rs and Canabiest.
Failure
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gj.
a ritual that doubles mana has been done before and has been very relevant: high tides
pantheismftw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this because I would LOVE to play this as the perfect 2-of in my lrgacy burn deck. With 18 lands there is an awkward forced 2-of ive been trying to Iron out for a long while. Since rug delver made seeing faster combo (burn's only problem besides dedicated hate) so much more rare alone devil/ash zealot giving you a good out to leyline finally made burn a real deck finally(until people are ready for it). My card would allow more turn-3 wins and give burn a chance to outrace other combo decks. The card would be amazing.

It also is the literal embodyment of the concept "double or nothing and plays nothing like final fortune or furnace of wrath.

Being funny and philisophical at the same time is hard, i think ot was an inside joke between us red mages half-joking that we are always for going head first into things and not considering failire to even be an option even though pur recklass abandon yields many hard lessons.

Sigh, yet again I strain and stew to come up with something I think is perfect and will win for sure, only to have someone judge harshly in two seconds based only off gut impulse and ridiculous assertions. O well, gg anyway everyone!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1