Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 170 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: CAC 170 Judged Reply with quote

Thanks all for submitting. Lots of really good cards this week. Sorry judging was a bit late due to the holiday.

Livermush wrote:
Underwater Dreams | UUU
Enchantment (Rare)

When you shuffle your library, you may return target non-land permanent to it's owner's hand.

When you draw a card, if it's the first card you drew this turn, shuffle your library.

Correctly templated: Aside from some "When"s instead of "Whenever"s, it's perfect. 4.5/5
Power level: Far too good. The ability to return a permanent to its owner's hand each turn is already printed at 3UU on Sunken Hope, and the ability to return even more permanents for no more than a fetchland makes this broken. 1/5
Flavorful: Evoking Underworld Dreams is ok with the mana cost, and the effect triggering every draw is reminiscent of it. I think it's a little too complicated to be a true cousin to Underworld Dreams, but nice attempt. 4/5

Jacois wrote:

Correctly templated: Perfect. 5/5
Power level: I'm pretty sure this is an appropriate power level, though I'm not sure Wizards would print it. The ability to shuffle a library for free makes this better than Soldier of Fortune, and the "drawback" is almost never relevant. I think it's underwhelming, and mostly just stalls the game. 4/5
Flavor: The name is throwing me for a loop. I'm assuming its an attempt to play on "mindful" - but shouldn't you have just named it "Mindful Mistress" and used the flavor text to make the "mindful = mind full" joke? In addition, there's an unnecessary comma in the flavor text. Not as well executed as it could've been, but still alright. 3/5

JC_Strainer wrote:
Saltur, Dimir Censor 1UB

Creature - Human Wizard

Whenever Saltur, Dimir Censor deals combat damage to a player, that player shuffles his or her library.

Whenever a player would shuffle his or her library, instead you may search that player's library for a card and exile it. If you do, that player shuffles his or her library. (This shuffling doesn't trigger Saltur, Dimir Censor's ability.)

"The Dimir know that ideas can not be restricted in their formation, but rather in their dissemination."

2/2

Correctly templated: The reminder text is unnecessary - I think most players will assume that an ability like this doesn't trigger an infinite loop, and it's obvious that you created the replacement effect in order to not cause one. Otherwise it's fine. 4.5/5
Power level: I think this is very appropriate, and a great way to implement this type of effect. It triggers after an opponent would be searching, so it's not overpowered, but you do get a steady accumulation of virtual card advantage. Plus, the types of decks that will be shuffling a lot will tend to be looking for specific cards, so denying them some of those cards can be really helpful. On a 2/2 body for 3 it might even be a little underpowered, but I could definitely see Wizards printing it. 5/5
Flavor: The flavor text is a bit wordier than it needs to be, but I like the idea of it. The name sounds right. 4.5/5

Darkseed wrote:
Vessel of thoughts 1

Artifact-Uncommon

1: Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library, then shuffle your library and draw a card. You lose 2 life.

Correctly templated: Yup. 5/5
Power level: It's more or less a Greed that doesn't give you card advantage and costs 2B less. I think it's probably fair because of the massive life loss and lack of true card advantage, though obviously it's very powerful being able to be searched out by Trinket Mage et al. Definitely should be a rare based on complexity though. 4/5
Flavor: None to speak of. The name isn't even that interesting. 1/5

thelemys wrote:

Inspiration:
Art by DH3: http://cghub.com/images/view/295787/
Card inspired by: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=146593

Quote:
Moving Soil G
Enchantment Unco
When Moving Soil enters the battlefield, draw a card.
G, sacrifice a land: Search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
The seeds of the harvest of nature shall sow the seeds of new beginnings.

Correctly templated: Looks good. 5/5
Power level: It's great as a landfall enabler, and on its own I think it's balanced. However, I think that it potentially is broken with Amulet of Vigor. You could drop a Steppe Lynx, play this, then play Amulet of Vigor, and attack for 20 on turn 3 (turn 2 with Lotus Petal or Elvish Spirit Guide or whatever). I think the "Draw a card" tacked on is also unnecessary. It also combos ridiculously well with Flagstones of Trokair. There are just some things that needed to be thought about a little more to make this card balanced, especially at uncommon. 3.5/5
Flavor: I like the name a ton, and though the flavor seems a bit redundant, the more I read it the more I like it. Well done. 5/5

iSperia wrote:
Oracle of Thoughts - UU
Creature - Snake Wizard (rare)
Flash, Haste
T: Draw a card, then put a card from your hand on the top of your library.
U, Return Oracle of Thoughts to your hand: Target player shuffles his or her library
2/2

Correctly templated: No problems here. 5/5
Power level: A 2/2 flash, haste for UU seems overpowered, let alone with the ability to pseudo-brainstorm with any extra mana without any drawback (because of haste). It's really way too good in a permission strategy to be able to toss back any unwanted cards for UUU at instant speed, plus to have the utility to shuffle your opponent's library as well. Too good; with a 1/2 or 1/1 body or costing 1U or UU to return to hand would have been much more reasonable. 3/5
Flavor: Not a lot here. Oracle of Thoughts and mono-blue don't suggest Snake to me, and without Coiling Oracle's existence I don't think Snake would make any sense at all. A bit of a stretch, though technically a good picture could make the problem a little less apparent. 2/5

ck3gds wrote:
Liliana's Mastery 2BBB

Sorcery (rare)

Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)

"People say making a pact with the demon is wrong. That's because they don't know me." - Liliana Vess

Correctly templated: Great. 5/5
Power level: Looks great. Turning lands into tutors seems extremely relevant for decks that like this sort of thing, but 2BBB seems very appropriately costed. 5/5
Flavor: I like the flavor a lot. Very nicely done. 5/5

Canabiest wrote:
Sowing Thallid
2GG
Creature - Fungus
Uncommon

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Sowing Thallid.

Remove three spore counters from Sowing Thallid: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.

Sacrifice a Saproling: Search your library for a Forest card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.

2/2

Power level: I think there's potentially a way to abuse the ability with something like Life and Limb, but whatever. Seems pretty appropriate but maybe a touch underpowered with just a 2/2 body for 4. That's also usually later than you want mana accel. Probably could've been powered up a little bit, either in the p/t department or in the casting cost department. 4/5
Flavor: Auto 5/5 for Thallids! (also it fits right in with already-existing flavor and it just plain feels like something Thallids ought to do already. Very natural feeling card. This is how you do flavor without flavor text!)

Astarael wrote:
Unsettled Future
2U
Sorcery
Uncommon

Look at the top 3 cards of target players library, you may have that player shuffle their library.

Rebound.

Power level: It, uh, doesn't really do anything. I don't think this would ever see competitive play; it just doesn't have enough of an effect for three mana without any rearranging option at all. You have to get really lucky for this to be relevant. 3/5
Flavor: I like the name a ton for this effect. Very nicely done. But you definitely had space for real flavor text. 4.5/5

Domine wrote:
Sacrament of Wilderness 1G

Enchanment

Whenever a creature you control would die its owner shuffle it into his library instead

Whenever a creature you control would be exiled put it into its owner's graveyard instead

I want to hunt with the tameless heart...

Uncommon

Correctly templated: You need "his or her," and a few other small errors. 4.5/5
Power level: I think this is fine, though probably a bit underpowered. I'm not sure there are many decks that would care about this effect except like a Rebel deck, but ultimately I think it's a bit of a snoozer filler rare. 3.5/5
Flavor: You're looking for "untamed," not "tameless." Also the name and flavor text don't really match up super well. It's not terrible but it's not great. 2.5/5

pseudodespot wrote:
Thoughterator 3

Artifact (rare)

Whenever a player searches, puts one or more cards from anywhere on top or the bottom of or looks at the top or bottom cards of his or her library, put a charge counter on Thoughterator. Then if the number of chargecounters on Thoughterator is odd, Thoughterator deals that much damage to that player and that player shuffles his or her library.

XUR: Remove X charge counters from Thoughterator. Any player may activate this ability.

(No room for a flavortext on a printed card, but I will come up with one anyways asap)

Correctly templated: Didn't bother checking. ugh/5
Power level: Way too wordy and complicated. This really just would be unfun to play with. ugh/5
Flavor: Hurts my eyes and my brain. I guess that's probably right on flavor for an Izzet contraption. 0/5 that's so bad it wraps back around to a 5/5.

Bairdsy wrote:
Ive posted this one before but I kinda like it Very Happy

Correctly templated: Yep. 5/5
Power level: Fine, but boring for this challenge, and I wanted more interesting effects. yawn/5
Flavor: Like it just as much as last time. 5/5

genstukov wrote:
Hopes this counts

Blind Luck
1U
Instant
Uncommon

Kicker 1U (You may pay an additional 1U as you cast this spell.)

Shuffle your library then Draw a card. If the kicker cost was paid shuffle your library again and draw a card.

Correctly templated: A bit of capitalization issues and you don't really need the "again". 4.5/5
Power level: I think the versatility is great and makes it perfect at uncommon, being a bit better than a Think twice or Inspiration individually. 5/5
Flavor: The shuffle effect being tacked on really makes the name feel appropriate. Again, definitely had room for flavor though. 4.5/5

Vulpi wrote:
Corrupted inside 2BBUU
Sorcery Rare

Target opponent reveal top card in library and loose life equal to the mana symbols printed in that card. Exile that card. That player shuffle his/her library.

Storm

"Any ideas to exploit ?"

Correctly templated: "Loose" instead of "lose," "mana symbols" is really vague - do you mean in the card's mana cost? On the entire card? What about colorless mana? Not templated very well at all. 2/5
Power level: Would be banned immediately; it's basically Mind's Desire in that if you cast it, you're winning immediately because of it. 1/5
Flavor: Text made me chuckle, name is eh. 4/5

llamatron2 wrote:

Inspiration: Golgari somehow feeding its swarm with very little resources, plus Jarad's Orders and Sluiceway Scorpion: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/owens-a-win-jarads-orders/ and http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/sluiceway-scorpion/.

Image: Dota 2's pudge:[url] http://www.goodfon.com/wallpaper/359850.html[/url]

Correctly templated: The first ability is terribly worded. 3/5
Power level: The instant speed nature of the second effect is great at ruining combat math, and the first ability helps keep it fueled. A nice natural combo with Gravecrawler as well, as you can tutor them out and it already is a Zombie to get them back. Good power level and the p/t seems appropriate. 5/5
Flavor: Why is this just a Zombie? It feels like that part isn't really explained. Otherwise the flavor is great. 4.5/5

blitzer2k7 wrote:
Inspired Wizard 1UU

Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)

U, T: Target player draws a card, then shuffles a card from his or her hand back into their library.

0/4

Power level: Perfect. Blue would love this card, but the ability is only virtual card advantage, so it's not like you're making a cheaper Archivist. I think it's definitely printable as is. 5/5
Flavor: Boring. 2.5/5

Duodax wrote:
Gold Equivalent X

Tribal Artifact - Human RARE

Gold Equivalent comes with X charge counter on it into play.
1, Sacrifice Gold Equivalent: Search your library for a nonland card with converted mana cost up to X, reveal it and put it into your hand. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Doesn't fit the challenge - it only shuffles a library once by itself.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Neuron Scythe (2)

Artifact - Equipment (Rare)

Equipped creature gets +1/-1.

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to an opponent, you may look at that player's hand and choose a nonland, noncreature card. That player then shuffles the chosen card into his or her library.

Equip (2)

Correctly templated: Yep. 5/5
Power level: I had to think about this for a long time. I think that making it noncreature, nonland actually makes this really, really bad. There are some decks that it would be useful against, but at the same time there are definitely plenty of decks where all this does is give a creature +1/-1 and let you Peek at your opponent's hand when it gets through. I think it's a bit too conditional and could've used just being +1/+0 or even +1/+1. 4/5
Flavor: I like the name, it's really cool. The effect fits in with what it does as well. A bit more flavor would've pushed this over the top. 4/5

Stucco wrote:
Aerula, Advance Captain........................................WW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier.....................R

First Strike

When Aerula deals combat damage to a player, search your library for a soldier card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. Then, shuffle your library.

The light gleaning off her blade is like a siren's call to the front lines.

2/2

Correctly templated: Fine. 5/5
Power level: Holy overpowered batman. This is like a Goblin Lackey on steroids, and if your opponent doesn't have an answer to it they'll be drowning in Field Marshals and die really, really fast. Compare to Precinct Captain; would you rather get a 1/1 soldier token or search for a CMC 3 or less Soldier, with the only drawback being legendary status? I think it's far too good. 1/5
Flavor: Really, really great. 5/5

ShamedShadow wrote:
Mindwrench Dragon 3BR

Creature - Dragon [Mythic Rare]

Flying

2BR: Target opponent may shuffle their hand into their library. If that player doesn't, ~ gets +4/+0 and gains fear until end of turn.

Choose mind or body. Don't worry, it doesn't much care which.

5/5

Correctly templated: OK, though fear is an outdated ability; intimidate would've been a better choice. 4/5
Power level: Appropriate, though I hate that Wizards has pushed the power level to the point where I think that a 5/5 flier for 5 with an ability is "fine," even at Mythic Rare. Can't fault you for that though. 5/5
Flavor: The text is a little too literal for me. The name is good though. Overall pretty good. 4.5/5

Darkjuggalo wrote:
Alzheimer's BBBBB

Enchant - Aura Curse [Rare]

Enchant player
At the beginning of enchanted players upkeep, enchanted player reveals the top card of his or her library, then search target players hand, library and graveyard for all copies of card and remove from the game. Shuffle library. Repeat this process at the beginning of enchanted players end Phase.

"What was I doing and who are you"

Correctly templated: "he or she" instead of the second "enchanted player," and targeting another player afterwards seems very, very weird. "Shuffle library" isn't correct, and "Phase" is randomly capitalized. Sloppy. 2/5
Power level: Overpowered without a "nonland" clause - removing the entirety of a deck's manabase is too good even for BBBBB. 2/5
Flavor: Funny, something Magic would print in an Un- set. 5/5

khara wrote:
Bitterly haunts 1U
creature - spirit (uncommon)

flying, undying

when (cardname) enters the battlefield, target player reveals the top card of his or her library, if it is a non-land card remove a counter from (cardname). You may choose to shuffle target library afterwards.

"till their memories fades away.."

2/1

Correctly templated: Sort of fine, though the library being targeted I think is a templating error rather than an intentional ability to shuffle any library, even one different than the one with the card that was revealed. 4/5
Power level: Way too good. 1U for a 2/1 flying, undying is broken by itself, let alone with the ability to reset its own undying and to essentially scry 1 every time it comes into play. About as overpowered as you can get. 0.5/5
Flavor: I sort of get where you're going but it's not quite there. The grammar is just too muddled to get the point across. 3.5/5

ikazuchi wrote:
∆therstorm Guide RG
Creature - Elemental Druid (Rare)

1, Shuffle permanent spell you control into your library: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a permanent card, put it onto the battlefield.

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.

2/2

Correctly templated: Aside from a missing "a" between "Shuffle" and "permanent," it's fine. 5/5
Power level: I don't really know! It might be a bit too good with scrying effects, but this sort of thing ended up not being nearly as broken as it appeared with Nivmagius elemental. I think it's probably just about right, in the end. It's a really exciting card; I like it a lot. 5/5
Flavor: I think the flavor is way too wordy; shorter flavortext that explained what Aetherstorms are/why this creature is a guide would've served this card a lot better than the abstract quote. 3/5

So, the winner is
ck3gds with Liliana's Mastery!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stats I got from Oracle of Mul Daya. Allready existing Saprolings give a big jump turn 4 and might accelerate into a real Fatty the next turn.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for judging. Go next!

Smile
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worthy winner imho.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to make my card more powerful and interesting the ability should have been to draw two cards and put one back. And possibly having a second ability to disrupt the opponent like a bounce ability perhaps.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to, if no one else has any objections. It'll be a serious one this time, I promise. Smile
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, the winner is
ck3gds with Liliana's Mastery!

DOH. I thought yawn > 5!!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goooooooooo!
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead ShamedShadow.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1