Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Midrange

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: RB Midrange Reply with quote

RB Midrange

The deck

2 Pillar of Flame
1 Dead Weight
4 Crimson Muckwader
3 Sign in Blood
1 Ultimate Price
2 Searing Spear
4 Dreadbore
4 Geralf’s Messenger
3 Liliana of the Veil
2 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Sever the Bloodline
3 Moan of the Unhallowed
1 Staff of Nin
2 Devil’s Play
1 Rakdos Return

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragon Skullsummit
4 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Mountain
1 Stensia Bloodhall
10 Swamp

Sb

3 Duress (Control)
1 Rakdos Return (Control midrange)
3 Tormods Cypt (Reanimator, some control decks)
2 Pillar of flame (aggro)
1 Dead Weight (aggro)
2 Curse of the Death Hold (Some aggro and tokens)
1 Vampire Nighthawk (Burn and Aggro)
2 Mutialte (tokens some aggro)

The deck is basically a value deck any card in it that is not highly efficient removal or creature for what it is, is capable of generating card advantage in some way or form. The deck can come out very fast and it can play a more controlling game with solid play you beat most control decks. The main reason to play this over a gb version is Dreadbore and the fact the deck is able to run a lower curve and pack burn allowing the deck to burn people out as well as out card people. It often out cards most control decks as you have more ways of generating card advantage then they do, plus you can always win by burning them out. Aggro is very dependant on what sort as the wide range of threats aggro decks can offer these days means that a good match up against one aggro deck no longer gurantees a good match up vs them all.

Crimson Muckwader in this deck is better than watchwolf, as like most the threats in the deck, it renders a large amount of the removal in the format ineffective late game thanks to its regenration.

Moan of the unhallowed has really surprised me in just how good it is. I was initially looking for a value 4 drop and decided to give this a try, as I could not find anything that appeared better. It really does shine in this deck and feels to me on a par with huntmaster of the fells in what it achieves. If the game goes long it can out surpass even huntmaster.

Staff of nin is a somewhat quirky inclusion but I found with 4 sign in blood that often I did not want to cast the 2nd or 3rd vs aggro due to my life total. Staff is a powerful card and should win you the game vs aggro if you stabilize and deploy it as well as being solid vs control and providing some extra range.

The removal suite has been tailored to best handle the format as I see it, whilst playing as much burn as possible to give me the most range. The format at the moment presents a diverse set of threats that all require specific answers. Pillar of Flame for example handles gravecrawler, dead weight is more for loleth troll, though I find that card to be fairly absent from the meta game atm hence only 1. Dreadbore handles both creature of pw and hence is a 4 off.

Ultimate Price does not handle many of the early creatures as they are often 2 coloured and I do not think I would want to play more than one but is an efficient removal spell. Searing Spear handles most early aggro creatures and provides range.

Liliana handles loleth troll, geist of st traft, though she is not as strong as she use to beas more value creatures are being playing in the format, like thragtusk messenger, plus more haste creatures.

Sever the bloodline rfgs creatures you do not want in the graveyard provides value late on, handles tokens, spirits angles, zombies whatever.

Devils play can handle most threats depending on your mana as well as provide value and range.

Thoughts Appreciated.

Last edited by GreenBear on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does this deck beat bant
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean the deck with thagtusk, angel, jace, and tamyao. That is one of the harder match ups for the deck, but it is beatable. You have bores for there pws. Most of the time in my experience it comes down to the number of thagtusk they draw, none you win, 1 you probably win, 2 you probably lose, 3 you almost certainly lose.

And of course sometimes you rape there entire hand with Rakdos return and then normally win. Duress and Extra Rakdos returns after board improve things also. I would, say that is probably one of the few control match ups that is not in your favour but i have still won the match many times. But its not like one match up determines much at the moment as there are such a plethora of decks floating about.
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bant is the deck to beat atm Smile
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that does turn out to be the case all you need do is increase the number of rakdos returns match up solved:)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1