Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 105 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: CaC 105 Judged Reply with quote

Might not have been a great topic I have choosen here or at least I'm not that enthusiastic about the entries. Still time to judge them.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Teferi's Dreambox -- {5}
Artifact - Rare
2, T: Draw a card
T: Draw a card for each Teferi's Imp in your graveyard, exile and battlefield.
I have some more ideas - Teferi to Barrin

The tap ability works nice with phasing, you have to time it right to use it when the Imp is phased in. The card also can work alone which is something. A card with phasing might not be the best choice for a reprint though, not a very good mechanic to bring back. Teferi's Imp is a strange little card and with your design helping with the drawback is not bad.

Stucco wrote:
Kyveth, Burgeoning Adept...............................................................1GU
Legendary Creature - Elf Wizard.........................................................R

Whenever an opponent plays a land, you may put a land card from
your hand onto the battlefield tapped.

Whenever an opponent plays a creature, you may reveal the top card
of your library. If a creature card is revealed, you may put that card
into your hand.

The faithful wait for nature to provide for them what is needed.
The intelligent learn to expedite that process.

2/2

Not exactly what I wanted when I put out the challenge. But not a bad design channeling the Time Spiral spirit and probably working in Commander. A powerful effect for sure might be too good in small formats.
Did not fullfill the challenge though.

sc4rs wrote:
Bloodsoaked Hall
Legendary Land
Bloodsoaked Hall is black and green.
Bloodsoaked Hall enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add R to your mana pool.
BGR, T: Search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Bloodhall Ooze, reveal it, and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Makes the Ooze card good when it is in play with it's colors. A bit wordy for a land but with the new color indicator that helps. Searching the graveyard as well makes it a little annoying probably because you never need to cast a spell all game once you have the land going. Might be unfun in a real format. But good synergy with an reprintable card. The name could have been Bloodhall.

InWaking wrote:
Withengar, The Demon Lord 3BR
Legendary Creature- Demon Lord (Mythic)
When Withengar enters the battlefield destroy all cards named Geist of Saint Traft.
Other Demon and Devil creatures you control get +1/+1.
White creatures and blue creatures get -1/-1.
4/5

A hate card is a good way to implement naming a card especially legends work well with that so a good choice. The two could be arch nemesises to each other. Maybe Withengar is how Saint Traft got martyred. It hates the U/W deck rather thoroughly and gives BR a good bonus. I like me some devils so it carries favor with the judge. Not too sure if Spirits really are the arch enemies of Demons though. It works with a hellish imagery of being tortured in the afterlife, so in my head it works.
Too opressive hate can get unfun of course but this guy being legendary helps a bit and St.Traft deserves a little hate.

Malakai97 wrote:
Stopgap -- 0
Instant - Uncommon
Stopgap is Green.
Play Stopgap only if you control a Basic Forest.
Counter target card named Mana Leak, Mana Drain, or Spell Pierce.
A bit more fertilizer should do it.

It refers a card by name and again is hate. Mentioning Mana Drain as one of a few cards could be a nod to older sets even if it gets reprinted somewhere new. Still not really within my limitations of the reffered cards getting reprinted too. Not a fun card for me but I do not play vintage.

Gademis wrote:
Herald of Doom 6

Creature - Eldrazi (U)

annihilator 1

Sacrifice Herald of Doom: add 5 to your mana pool. Use this mana only to play Eldrazi spells

15, Sacrifice Herald of Doom: Search your library for a card named Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and put it in the battlefield. Shuffle your library afterwards.

"It was crying, a creature so powerful yet so sad it was bringing us the end of the world"

3/3

The stats are a bit small for an Eldrazi but it can work. I like the flavortext but it does not seem all that powerfull dying to Lagac Lizards. Otherwise a solid design in the vein of other Heralds that search big legendary guys and those Golems for the Invasion Dragons. A powerful card in a way but not broken. Giving you extra copies of Emrakul or acess to the late game one off. I like how the searched up Emrakul is not as powerful as a hard cast one, missing the trigger. Again legends proof to work well with the naming thing.

Duodax wrote:
Koth's Servant R

Creature - Elemental RARE

Koth's Servant' power and toughness are each equal to the number of basic Mountains you control.
Whenever Koth's Servant attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of basic Mountains you control.

*/*

Referring to Mountain is a clever way to fullfill the challenge, kudos for that. Looks like it might get rather big rather fast but for a restrictive vanilla basically that might be okay. Attacking for 4 damage on turn two is something powerful. So I'm weary of that but like the design.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Road to Razors RW

Instant - Uncommon

Road to Razors deals 2+X+Y damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or players,
where X is the number cards named Path to Exile in all graveyards and Y is the number of cards named Road to Razors in your graveyard.

"All paths and roads must meet somewhere."

Path to Exile is bound to be in many graveyards if it is legal in a format, so for sure a powerul burn spell. I dislike the X/Y templating, looks messy. Could possibly have been worded with just X. The whole thing does not leave me very enthusiastic but it is something a Boros player would love to have, so I guess it would have some fans.

zebo_88 wrote:
Lightning Master 2R
Creature - Elemental Shaman (R)
As long as a card named Lightning bolt is in your graveyard, Lightning Master gets +2/+1 and has haste.
As long as a card named Lightning Helix is in your graveyard, Lightning Master gets +1/+1 and has lifelink.
As long as a card named Blightning is in your graveyard, Lightning Master gets +1/+1 and has deathtouch.
2/1

yes, i know, it was more flavourful if with blightning made your opponent discard but its already too wordy :/

Naming those three cards is risky. All of them in the same block make for a rather burn heavy environment. On the other hand the multicolor aspect poses and interesting deckbuilding challenge. Each giving a bonus and an ability is nice symmetry. Maybe the first bonus should just have been +1/+1 as well and the base stats 1/1 or 2/2 so it is easy to calculate while you are checking the graveyard. Could see print in some burn Commander deck I guess or a block that really pushes the theme. Powerful guy too. I like spells of a certain color giving abilities in that part of the wheel. Still not mindblowingly innovative and a though choice of three cards.

huntergatsby wrote:
Blazing Elemental RR

Creature-Elemental

Trample;Haste

Blazing Elemental get's +3/+0 for each card named Spark Elemental or Blazing Elemental in your graveyard.

4/1

"That rabbit's Dynamite"

Powerful burn spell that can be stopped with removal, a bit like the design above. Unlike Spark Elemental it does not die at end of turn, so that could get out of hand soon without an answer.
Spark Elemental sure is worth reprinting and can use a little help, with it dying at end of turn being in the graveyard is a reasonable trigger. Still 3 damage turn 1 and then 7 damage turn two could be overwhelming. A little worried about printability because of that.
Not a fan of the flavortext also.

pseudodespot wrote:
Goblin Forgemaster 1R

Creature - Goblin Artificer (rare)

If a permanent named Battlefield Forge would deal damage to you, instead Goblin Forgemaster deals that much damage to target creature or player.

2/2

When they said "you will become forged in the head of battle". I never imagined they meant it this way. ... COVER! --- Salpicon, fresh recruit.

I like the hint at a circle and the card you choose. Painlands can need a little help. Making the guy rare probably is not necessary. It is a bear after all if you do not get the Forge. I think with a lower rarity it would be more fun to draft around that land and nothing that happens every blue moon. Still a well done design and it being mono colored makes sense if the cycle goes around the color wheel.

JonnyBravo wrote:
The Huge Lightning Bolt_____________R

Istant_______________________________R

You may cast The Huge Lightning Bolt only if you have casted a card named Lightning Bolt in the same turn.

The Huge Lightning Bolt deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

I rather dislike the name. Coming after lightning bolt you could have easily made it something with thunder and have something flavorful at your hand. The design is narrow but works. All in all not a big hit.

MassO wrote:
Faulty Patch 2UU

Instant (Uncommon)

You may exile a card named Mana Leak from your graveyard instead,
of paying Faulty Patch's mana cost.

Counter target spell.

"I thought I had taken care of you already?" - Chandra

Nice tool for a control deck and also working without Mana Leak. Using a basic card that can be reprinted anywhere is good too. It works flavorwise I'd say. Solid

pg8 wrote:
Fast Forward -- U
Instant (Rare)
If a card named Time Stop is on the stack, take 2 extra turns after this one.
Draw a card.

Time Stop is an offbeat card that can use some help, drawing a card makes this one not useless alone. Still not a rare you would pick high in limited but if the combo happens that is fun. Again maybe could be of a lower rarity to make it easier for limited environments on the other hand it mentions the stack and tells you to take extra turns, rare seems good. Flavorwise it fits also and it seems cool from a powerlevel. Pleasantly suprised me.

Balaviaris wrote:
Wisdom of Karkosa U

Legendary Instant - Mythic

(A deck can have only 1 legendary instant in it)

If Wisdom of Karkosa is in your graveyard, it cannot be targeted by Snapcaster Mage.

Draw two cards.

"Sell the scroll they said... It is worth nothing they said..."

The limitation seems unecessary annoying for tournaments as well as kitchentable. Having to do deckchecks often because people don't trust each other also not fitting the legendary supertype as it is established. So a whole can of worms you opened there.
Drawing two cards sure is powerful but does not feel mythic or legendary. The drawback with Snapcaster Mage is oddly specific. It does not reward players to work around it, does not prevent abuse with cards printed in the future. All in all a bad entry.
Flavortext is allright though.

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Command Search - 0
Instant

Search your library for a card named Command Tower, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

When the battle begins and resources are scarce, all leaders look to provide focus.

Nice Commander card that allows you to play almost two copies of the land. A colorless Instant can be played in all identities which is cool and also something whacky that would be appreciated by the EDH crowd I guess. Solid, solid entry. Not too happy with the name sadly.

CharlesT wrote:
WW - Kor Firefooter
Creature - Kor Soldier (Rare)

Protection from red.

Sacrifice Kor Firefooter : You and each permanent you control gain protection from red until end of turn.

When ~ dies, you may search your library for a card named Kor Firewalker and put it into play. Then shuffle your library.

"A river of lava? I have faith I'll cross it fine."

2/2

Red would have to be really powerful fro two hate cards that annoying to have a place in the same format. Crushing hate is more of a relic of the past and nothing that should be looked forward to be brought back. Making Red that thoroughly hateable for a whole sets lifespan can't be a good choice.
The flavor is allrightish I guess, the name is not really good.

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Twinflame Kavu | 3RR

Creature - Kavu (R)

When Twinflame Kavu enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card named Flametongue Kavu and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library afterwards.

When Twinflame Kavu enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to up to two target creatures.

Bad omens for sighting one are a huge understatement.

4/2

An old and powerful favorite is refferenced and with this buddy it would return even more powerful. I don't think a reprinted Flametongue would need the help. Those two would make for a Kavu deck together, probably a good thing. Still format defining like Flametongue was alone when it had it's last time in the spotlight. Unsure if it would lead to a fun format. Fine as a Commander print for sure. The ETB trigger could have been mandatory like it is with Flametongue for more of a similar templarte. The searcher being more expensive also looks a little odd.

ck3gds wrote:
Eclipse Vampire BB

Creature - Vampire (rare)

All cards you own that arenít on the battlefield, spells you control, and permanents you control are black.

T, Tap two untapped Vampires you control: Search your graveyard, hand, and/or library for a card named Vampire Nocturnus and put it onto the battlefield. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

"Your life will be forever shrouded in darkness."

2/2

That sure is a Vampire tribal card and it wins the game the turn after. The first ability stands on it's own as rare and if you have the mythic also it gets even better. Casting a shroud of darkness to protect Vampires is a flavorful thing and Nocturnus of course a good name for a dweller in that darkness. I like it. Gives your opponent only a little window to respond though. I could see some power issues.

EMA wrote:
Tourach the Risen BBBB

Planeswalker - tourach (mythic)

Tourach the Risen costs BB less for every card named "Hymn to Tourach" in every graveyard.

+2: Search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.

-X: Until the end of turn, you may play target sorcery or creature card from your graveyard with converted mana cost x without paying its mana cost.

-5: You have an emblem with: "for the rest of the game, your opponent's maximum hand size is 0".

Loyalty 4

Giving planeswalkers an additional line of text and making them even wordier seems not worth it. Still I like a Hymn to Tourach summoning a badass black thing. Maybe a creature would have been better.
He seems crazy overpowered with it's cost and easy to reach ultimate and the combination of abilities.

weygander wrote:
Fiery Call 6RR

Sorcery (Mythic)

Search your library for a Dragon permanent card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Kicker-Sacrifice a creature, discard a card, and pay one life.

If was kicked, instead search your library for Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and put it on the the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

"Will you pay the price required?"

Very expensive card but with an impressive effect. Sure something for the Timmy demographic and some Johnny stuff might be done with it. A little like Dragonstorm but with another bonus, this time getting a dragon planeswalker. I like how the kicker works mirrors what Bolas does to opponents. A way to get Bolas into play without the color requirements too, fitting something Dragon themed. Nice overall.

The Winner is:
PG8 with Fast Forward

Runner ups:
In Waking, Mr.Weebles, pseudodespot, MassO
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1