Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DKA/ISD Sealed Pool

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: DKA/ISD Sealed Pool Reply with quote

Today I played my first DKA Sealed event, a GPT with 3 DKA and 3 ISD packs for the GP in Madrid.

During deckbuilding, I was challenged with a great pool, yet infinite options. My aim was to find out the optimal with this doubtlessly great pool: (Sorted B G R U W A Gld L)

What would you have built ?

1 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Farbog Boneflinger
1 Ghoulraiser
1 Gravepurge
1 Gruesome Deformity
1 Maw of the Mire
1 Night Terrors
1 Rotting Fensnake
1 Skirsdag High Priest
2 Tragic Slip
1 Typhoid Rats
1 Vengeful Vampire

1 Ambush Viper
1 Boneyard Wurm
1 Deranged Outcast
1 Favor of the Woods
2 Hollowhenge Beast
1 Hunger of the Howlpack
2 Kessig Recluse
1 Scorned Villager/Moonscarred Werewolf
1 Somberwald Spider
1 Spidery Grasp
1 Travel Preparations
1 Village Survivors
1 Vorapede
1 Wild Hunger

1 Burning Vengeance
1 Flayer of the Hatebound
1 Fling
1 Harvest Pyre
1 Infernal Plunge
1 Into the Maw of Hell
1 Markov Warlord
2 Talons of Falkenrath
1 Torch Fiend
2 Traitorous Blood

2 Bone to Ash
2 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Civilized Scholar/Homicidal Brute
1 Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration
2 Dream Twist
1 Moon Heron
1 Selhoff Occultist
1 Stitcher's Apprentice
1 Stormbound Geist
1 Tower Geist

1 Curse of Exhaustion
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Elgaud Inquisitor
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Lingering Souls
2 Loyal Cathar/Unhallowed Cathar
2 Midnight Guard
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Purify the Grave
1 Rebuke
1 Slayer of the Wicked
1 Thraben Sentry/Thraben Militia

1 Blazing Torch
1 Executioner's Hood
1 Silver-Inlaid Dagger
1 Witchbane Orb
1 Wolfhunter's Quiver

1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Stromkirk Captain

1 Ghost Quarter
1 Grim Backwoods
2 Haunted Fengraf
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Shimmering Grotto
Duodax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play.your.bombs

1 Ambush Viper
1 Deranged Outcast
2 Hollowhenge Beast
2 Kessig Recluse
1 Spidery Grasp
1 Village Survivors
1 Vorapede
1 Wild Hunger

1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Elgaud Inquisitor
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Lingering Souls
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Rebuke
1 Slayer of the Wicked

1 Flayer of the Hatebound

2 Shimmering Grotto
8 Forest
7 Plains
TurinT
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel Preparations is missing in that list.
Duodax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

card is bad in sealed only good in draft
InWaking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up playing is what I am more curious about, that and how well did you do?
I would probably play UW(B) as R and G have great bombs but some times consistency is the way to go.

1 Skirsdag High Priest
2 Tragic Slip
2 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Moon Heron
1 Stitcher's Apprentice
1 Stormbound Geist
1 Tower Geist
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Elgaud Inquisitor
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Lingering Souls
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Slayer of the Wicked
1 Blazing Torch
1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Stromkirk Captain
1 Haunted Fengraf
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Shimmering Grotto
7 plains
1 swamp
5 Island

This leaves you with an awesome SB plan, you have additional removal against fast decks and the bone to ash for decks that you know have bombs. I can't decide on what the last card to cut should be but it'd prbably be a loyal cathar, unless you're one of those guys who doesn't mind playing a 41 card deck. If it were real life that's what I would start with goldfish it a few times then tweak as needed.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wondering about the 8 rares in the pool, Geist of Saint Traft + Vorapede were foil. Smile

Sorting out cards that do not make me play a color (Traitorous Blood - Ghoulraiser -...) leaves me with only 5 good red cards:

Harvest Pyre, Torch Fiend, Flayer of the Hatebound, Markov Warlord and Into the Maw. It is clear that red won't be a maincolor, so i set it aside. I might splash Flayer of the Hatebound and Harvest Pyre and/or Markov Warlord later.

Black shows a similar result. 2 Tragic Slip, Skirsdag High Priest and Farbog Boneslinger, also Vengeful Vampire makes black at most a splash color.

White is clearly the deepest color of the pool with awesome 3 and 4 drops. 2 Loyal Cathar round up the curve as solid 2drops. This makes white my main color.

Now the question I asked myself is which color would be 2nd main color. Playing Wb or Wr would leave me with too few playables maindeck. Therefore either green or blue has to be chosen as other main color.

Blue opens the skies with 2 4mana flying creatures and the agressive Stormbound Geist and Geist of Saint Traft. Bone to Ashe can end a curve of agressive decks.

Green has Deranged Outcast, Ambush Viper, Scorned Villager, 2 Kessig Recluses as well as Vorapede, Somberwald Spider and Village Survivors as 5drops.

First, I tried to build the deck UW but there I quickly realized the deck would not be agressive at all lacking 2 drops (just Stitcher's Apprentice and Loyal Cathar). White-Green showed a MUCH better curve. White is full of 3drops, green is full of 2 and 5 drops, with 2 spiders at 4 mana. A good curve is the reason why I dismissed UW.

Now there was still some space in the deck after sorting out blue. The deck would be either GWb or GWr.

GWr had more quality creatures (Markov Warlord, Flayer of the Hatebound) and 2 solid removal (Harvest Pyre, Into the Maw) to offer.

GWb has no good creatures but superior removal. Additionally, the removal does not require double manacost (like Into the Maw of Hell) or certain circumstances (Harvest Pyre). I also think the GW base has enough good creatures already so I don't need Flayer of the Hatebound and Markov Warlord.

Playing around with 2 splashes left the manabase too whacky (4 colored is bad^^), so I dropped that idea too.

The remaining part of the deckbuilding process was the finetuning. A few cards had to be cut and the equipments (Blazing Torch, Silver-Inlaid Dagger and Wolfhunter Quiver) had to be considered. In the end I decided for Dagger over Torch because I assumed 5 removal as sufficient. I did not see the awesome interaction of 2 Kessig Recluse + Wolfhunter Recluse (Deathtouch Pinger) at this point.

Here's the decklist I ended up playing.

// Lands
7 Plains
6 Forest
1 Swamp
2 Shimmering Grotto
1 Grim Backwoods
1 Moorland Haunt

// Creatures
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Slayer of the Wicked
1 Deranged Outcast
1 Scorned Villager/Moonscarred Werewolf
2 Kessig Recluse
1 Elgaud Inquisitor
1 Farbog Boneflinger
2 Midnight Guard
1 Ambush Viper
1 Vorapede

// Spells
1 Rebuke
1 Travel Preparations
2 Tragic Slip
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Lingering Souls
1 Silver-Inlaid Dagger

I'm uploading a screenshot of the curve atm. Might take a while due to holy EDGE connection.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you really have to splash Geist of St Traft in there. You are already playing a bit of blue off of your shimmering grottoes for moorland haunt, and a 4cc geist is still more powerful than most 4 drops.
Lunaddict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting pool, Flippi!

Wu(b) is what I ended up with the pool. I think that 4c GW has its merits and Vorapede is a sick bomb but the deck ends up with ground stalls where it absolutely needs Vorapede to do all the work for you.

My Innistrad sealed experience is limited to the Innistrad prerelease so Iīm mostly looking at this as a draft deck construction.
My build tries to have a solid blow out factor with cathars + dagger and with Traft beats. If that fails you can go for the traditional grindy butts & fliers route for tempo control and quite inevitable win.
9 plains is the absolute minimum you can run here because your curve will look really awkward without t2 Cathar. Slips are usually fine with 2 mana and the deck has plenty of ways to enable morbid.
18 lands is a lot and I would be boarding out an Island often when on the draw.

Here are the last cuts. All of them can be boarded in in certain match ups:
1 Stormbound Geist - Usually too hard on mana and often worse than a speed bump due to the curve.
1 Selhoff Occultist - A fine curve filler. I felt Guard is just a bit better.
1 Midnight Guard - Usually nothing more than a Horned turtle, but the potential makes opponents make suboptimal plays.
1 Rebuke - When your 1st play is on t3 you canīt keep mana open for this. Thereīs also fine number of quality removal in the deck already.
1 Thraben Sentry/Thraben Militia - Inquisitor won the slot over this because I felt it gives you better chances to crawl back in to the game when your curve does not fall into place.
1 Farbog Boneflinger - I wanted to keep the splash as light as possible. Will be coming in often.
1 Skirsdag High Priest - I donīt like splashing for this guy. Although I feel really bad for leaving this on sb and would be looking for excuses to board it in. Sealed decks tend to have alot of removal so the gamble will not often be too profitable.

The deck:

1 Doomed Traveler

1 Stitcher's Apprentice

1 Elder Cathar
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Lingering Souls
1 Midnight Guard
1 Geist of Saint Traft

1 Slayer of the Wicked
1 Moon Heron
1 Tower Geist
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Elgaud Inquisitor

1 Silver-Inlaid Dagger
1 Blazing Torch
1 Moment of Heroism
2 Chant of the Skifsang
2 Tragic Slip

1 Moorland Haunt
2 Shimmering Grotto
9 Plains
1 Swamp
5 Island
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1