Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

draft4you - 16, 24 max - single elimination vs swiss

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Nikoleye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: draft4you - 16, 24 max - single elimination vs swiss Reply with quote

I am possibly going to code options for 16 and maybe 24 player drafts...

Basically there would be 1 host that would manage it, and 1 or 2 others that can host on netdraft for the other 1 or 2 pods to draft.

Would you like to see 16 and 24 max drafts?

Would 24 max be necessary? (I know draft4you has been growing, maybe its best to keep this option open?)

What is better for 16 and 24 max drafts, swiss or single elim, and should we have options for both?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
jawsthehobo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents on how I see this possible expansion (by the way, the draft bot is wonderful and I am SO glad that so many drafts happen so often, thanks Nikoleye).

Having 16 or 24 max drafts will either have two options: the first is that players within a pod play only players within the same pod. Then there is really no difference than just running two or three 8 mans. The other option is pairing people cross-pod...and doing so isn't how a dci sanctioned tournament would go, and I think drafting in draft4you is all about getting practice for in real life tournaments so this would be getting further away from practicing for the real thing. Since the power levels of pools in different drafts pods can be sometimes significant, and more so the picks, signals and amount of hate drafting or working together in each individual pod is different, pairing cross pod would not be a good idea and is why they don't do it in dci tournaments.

Thanks once again Nikoleye for your thoughtfulness in making draft4you a better place!
macdog225

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like the idea, I don't know how well it would actually work out. If you did a 16 man draft you'd have to keep it all inner pod because of a lot of drafting skill comes from the signals that you give and receive. If you did cross pod pairings you're not necessary playing against a player of higher or less skill, buy rather the power level of the packs that were opened in your pod vs. the power level of packs that were opened in the other pod.

I think that a better way to do this might be to do 'trials' kind of like M-L already has. Where the winners of these trials get added to a 'master's' list. So let's say you did 1 trial per day, where the winner can't play in any of the other trials, or if he does that the prize of being admitted to the master's is passed on to 2nd place if he wins. Then after 8 days of trials, the 9nth day would be the master's where the winners of the previous 8 trials would play each other. Just a thought, I don't know how well this would work out because you'd need someone to run the trial, and I know that we can't ask you, Nikoleye, to be here everyday to run a trial.

What are your guys' thoughts on this and maybe ways to solve these issues?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macdog225 wrote:
As much as I like the idea, I don't know how well it would actually work out. If you did a 16 man draft you'd have to keep it all inner pod because of a lot of drafting skill comes from the signals that you give and receive. If you did cross pod pairings you're not necessary playing against a player of higher or less skill, buy rather the power level of the packs that were opened in your pod vs. the power level of packs that were opened in the other pod.

I think that a better way to do this might be to do 'trials' kind of like M-L already has. Where the winners of these trials get added to a 'master's' list. So let's say you did 1 trial per day, where the winner can't play in any of the other trials, or if he does that the prize of being admitted to the master's is passed on to 2nd place if he wins. Then after 8 days of trials, the 9nth day would be the master's where the winners of the previous 8 trials would play each other. Just a thought, I don't know how well this would work out because you'd need someone to run the trial, and I know that we can't ask you, Nikoleye, to be here everyday to run a trial.

What are your guys' thoughts on this and maybe ways to solve these issues?

This is a cool idea.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. sanctioned draft events IRL can have pairings across pods.
2. its not a tournament @macdog, so i dont think this is appropriate :/
3. i think 16 is a good number, ive been thinking of getting netdraft again to draft online, but i wouldnt want to be in a swiss event draft with over 16 players, way too many rounds to play.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 16-24 players, you would want to do 3 swiss rounds within pods(swiss with cross pod matches are ridiculously unfair) followed by a cut to top 8 single elim.
Burton911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has nothing to do with the topic, but it just came to my mind.

Why you guys dont start to support the draft app from OPT? From what if seen so far it should be much better than netdraft already.
The only downside is that, it still has some bugs, but i would take that at any times, for packs with actual images.
dbreeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikoleye,

Right now the current bot needs a way for the TC to drop a player. What keeps happening in swiss drafts is that r2 comes along and there are 1-2 players who went afk or left channel but didn't drop. This screws up pairings - and if we manually pair screws up results.

Don't want to have it drop someone when they leave channel since people get dc'd on IRC a lot. Just a command from host to drop a player would fix it.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1