Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTF am I doing wrong??

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Lenin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: WTF am I doing wrong?? Reply with quote

So I build this deck then lost to some completely random bloodthirst pile 0-2 in round 1. What do I need to change? it looked like a good deck to me.

//NAME: Sealed Deck
1 Alabaster Mage
1 Angelic Destiny
1 Assault Griffin
1 Azure Mage
1 Belltower Sphinx
1 Bloodrage Vampire
1 Chasm Drake
1 Chasm Drake
1 Coral Merfolk
1 Coral Merfolk
1 Doom Blade
1 Grave Titan
1 Griffin Rider
1 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Manalith
1 Manalith
1 Onyx Mage
1 Pacifism
1 Ponder
1 Pride Guardian
1 Tormented Soul
1 Wring Flesh
SB: 1 Alluring Siren
SB: 1 Angel's Feather
SB: 1 Arachnus Web
SB: 1 Armored Warhorse
SB: 1 Auramancer
SB: 1 Auramancer
SB: 1 Blood Seeker
SB: 1 Brink of Disaster
SB: 1 Brink of Disaster
SB: 1 Chandra's Outrage
SB: 1 Chandra's Phoenix
SB: 1 Chasm Drake
SB: 1 Consume Spirit
SB: 1 Crown of Empires
SB: 1 Dark Favor
SB: 1 Dark Favor
SB: 1 Disentomb
SB: 1 Dragon's Claw
SB: 1 Drifting Shade
SB: 1 Flashfreeze
SB: 1 Fog
SB: 1 Fog
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 1 Frost Breath
SB: 1 Frost Breath
SB: 1 Garruk's Companion
SB: 1 Gladecover Scout
SB: 1 Goblin Arsonist
SB: 1 Goblin Fireslinger
SB: 1 Goblin Piker
SB: 1 Goblin War Paint
SB: 1 Gorehorn Minotaurs
SB: 1 Griffin Sentinel
SB: 1 Harbor Serpent
SB: 1 Hideous Visage
SB: 1 Island
SB: 1 Kite Shield
SB: 1 Llanowar Elves
SB: 1 Llanowar Elves
SB: 1 Mana Leak
SB: 1 Manic Vandal
SB: 1 Merfolk Mesmerist
SB: 1 Mind Rot
SB: 1 Mountain
SB: 1 Naturalize
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 1 Peregrine Griffin
SB: 1 Plummet
SB: 1 Rampant Growth
SB: 1 Royal Assassin
SB: 1 Sacred Wolf
SB: 1 Siege Mastodon
SB: 1 Slaughter Cry
SB: 1 Sorin's Thirst
SB: 1 Stave Off
SB: 1 Stingerfling Spider
SB: 1 Swamp
SB: 1 Thran Golem
SB: 1 Titanic Growth
SB: 1 Warstorm Surge
SB: 1 Wurm's Tooth
6 Plains
SB: 12 Plains
SB: 18 Forest
SB: 18 Mountain
6 Island
SB: 12 Island
6 Swamp
SB: 12 Swamp
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decks with a manabase of 6/6/6 are never good. I'd try to get a deck with manabases like 8/7/3 or similar instead. Then you can cut the Manalith and replace with cards that actually help you win the game. Right now, Half of your deck is for enabling your other cards. You could have 23 cards that do something without having to be enabled first.

Add:
Concentrate on 2 colors. In your specific deck I'd have cut white.
jfc
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

SB: 1 Crown of Empires

and you shouldnt splash creatures, you should only splash removal, you have 2 manalith, you just need 1 plains and you should only be playing that pacifism, also that should be UBw, and sorins thirst is in the sideboard and crown of empires, and so are mana leak, royal assasin and personnaly id build a more heavy black version so i could run that both consume spirit, not sure tho :\
BlackPen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your deck needs a plan as well as synergy.

You need to decide what type of strategies your pool allows, and which will be the best against decks you might play. When I see your pool I see two directions, a heavy black based control deck, or an aggressive deck that plays most of your red guys.

When your play three colors you need to expect your spells to resolve at a much later time than your opponent, so they must have a big impact to make up for the fact that they are casted a turn or two later.
Tormented soul and griffin rider are terrible in your deck. Neither play a good defensive role nor do they win the game for you.

I would drop white. Play u/b and play your 2xconsume spirits, 1xcrown,1xroyal assasin, 1xmana leak, 1x drifting shade, 1more chasm drake,1x brink of disaster, 1xalluring siren. I would play 18 lands prob 10-8 or 11-7 more swamps. this deck would have enough removal to survive to end the game w/ bombs like royal assasin grave titan or jace or even just grind out w/ flyers.
J_R

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing you are doing wrong is thinking bloodthirst is a pile, another thing is playing 3 colours for no reason, your deck is really bad, you should have played UB
syspunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude with that card pool, there is no reason at all you shouldnt have won the whole tourny. why play 3 colors when you have 2 very dominant colors? your black and blue pools are disqusting. the only time i use manaliths is if my deck has alot of 2-color-mana casting costs (or more) like overruns. royal ass + crown = huge and good protection for jace which can win you games all by itself. personally i would have focused on using jace and supported him with removal/protection based stuff. grave titan is a damn strong backup.
Lenin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the constructive criticism. The first deck I made with the pool was UB with consume/shade. Then I thought that this deck would be to slow and added white for some protection (pacifism, guardian, alabaster).
Oh was I wrong.
Terri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like flippi said 6-6-6 manabases are never right especially in m12 limited. i see you have 2 auramancers and 2 brink of disaster. so play ub with white splash for 1 pacifism and the 2 auramancers and play the 2 brink of disaster so you can just destroy a creature and then get the brink back with your mancer and do i t again. Smile
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brink of Desaster is just a cmc4 Guard duty.

To the rest i compleatly agree, run a blackheavy deck with like 10/8 swamps or even better 10/7 with those Manaliths, since they provide B vor CS.

White is not an option here.
When i saw Assassin and thirst in your sideboard my first thought was that you want to troll us, but it seems yyou really did not know.

Good luck next time, and if you have a secret how you get those insane pools, pm me Wink
kane2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_R wrote:
playing 3 colours for no reason, your deck is really bad, you should have played UB

'nuff said
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following cards really, really shouldn't be on your sideboard:

Also Drifting Shade if we go heavy black (as we well should). Let's throw together a quick list:

1 Azure Mage
1 Belltower Sphinx
1 Bloodrage Vampire
1 Chasm Drake
1 Chasm Drake

1 Consume Spirit
1 Consume Spirit
1 Doom Blade
1 Grave Titan
1 Jace, Memory Adept

1 Mana Leak
1 Onyx Mage
1 Royal Assassin
1 Sorin's Thirst
1 Wring Flesh

That's 20 cards; want ~3 more out of:
1 Blood Seeker
2 Coral Merfolk
1 Crown of Empires
1 Disentomb
1 Drifting Shade
1 Harbor Serpent
2 Manalith
1 Merfolk Mesmerist
1 Ponder

Keeping in mind we want probably at least 10/7 Swamp/Island manabase we'll naturally want to lean towards black cards. The deck is also quite controlling and top-heavy so we ideally want to shore up the early game.

I'm fairly sure the deck wants at least 1 Manalith. It fixes mana (and produces black for Consume Spirit) and more importantly, accelerates you to your 5s over your inexistent 4-drop slot.

Last cards would be something like Drifting Shade and Ponder or some such.
kane2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldariel wrote:
The following cards really, really shouldn't be on your sideboard:

Also Drifting Shade if we go heavy black (as we well should). Let's throw together a quick list:

1 Azure Mage
1 Belltower Sphinx
1 Bloodrage Vampire
1 Chasm Drake
1 Chasm Drake

1 Consume Spirit
1 Consume Spirit
1 Doom Blade
1 Grave Titan
1 Jace, Memory Adept

1 Mana Leak
1 Onyx Mage
1 Royal Assassin
1 Sorin's Thirst
1 Wring Flesh

That's 20 cards; want ~3 more out of:
1 Blood Seeker
2 Coral Merfolk
1 Crown of Empires
1 Disentomb
1 Drifting Shade
1 Harbor Serpent
2 Manalith
1 Merfolk Mesmerist
1 Ponder

Keeping in mind we want probably at least 10/7 Swamp/Island manabase we'll naturally want to lean towards black cards. The deck is also quite controlling and top-heavy so we ideally want to shore up the early game.

I'm fairly sure the deck wants at least 1 Manalith. It fixes mana (and produces black for Consume Spirit) and more importantly, accelerates you to your 5s over your inexistent 4-drop slot.

Last cards would be something like Drifting Shade and Ponder or some such.

Personally as far as the last 3 slots I would go:

Disentomb(no other recursion so its a good thing to have to get back the good creatures if they get dealt with)
Ponder(good early and late game)
Manalith(for the reasons that Eldariel stated)
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably put crown in one of those three slots as it's basicly removal in some situations it can also help with poesy things like titans dragons or even hat 6/4 tormented soul.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostwanderer wrote:
I'd probably put crown in one of those three slots as it's basicly removal in some situations it can also help with poesy things like titans dragons or even hat 6/4 tormented soul.

It's a solid card but that list isn't lacking on midgame cards; by the time you have the mana open to use it you've already won 'cause your high end is completely ridiculous. As such, I find it more prudent to worry about surviving early on and trading 3 mana for their best guy each turn isn't sustainable.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1