Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Deck Wins

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Red Deck Wins Reply with quote

I'm somewhat amazed that there is not a thread for this deck already. I looked here for ideas: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=342457

// Lands
14 [9E] Mountain (1)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
4 [PLC] Keldon Marauders
4 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny

// Spells
4 [10E] Incinerate
2 [BOK] Flames of the Blood Hand
4 [SHM] Flame Javelin
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
4 [4E] Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GP] Shattering Spree
SB: 4 [WWK] Searing Blaze
SB: 3 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
SB: 4 [DK] Blood Moon

Alright, first off, 22 lands might be a little too much since I curve out at 3, but I'd rather be safe than screwed. Much of this deck should be pretty explanatory...

First turn, I want to drop a Goblin Guide, Figure of Destiny, or Rift Bolt. Turn 2 Keldon Marauders or Hellfire Elemental. Then from there, it's just a matter of playing around my opponent's disruption.

As for card choices, Goblin Guide and Figure are both in. Grim Lavamancer I'm on the fence about. Keldon Marauders could be a Stormblood Berserker, but I think since so much removal is around, I'll get more out of the Marauders. Same deal with Hellfire, even if it dies or gets countered, he can still come back and give me card advantage, which is really good in any red deck.

My burn package is pretty straight forward, with the exception of the 2 flames of the blood hand which are there as a means to outrace Kitchen Finks and Obstinate Baloth/Loxodon Heirarch if I see them in this format.

My sb package has 7 Blood Moon spells to fight off Zoo and 12 post, along with Searing Blaze as great removal against aggro and Shattering Spree just in case I see any artifact decks.

Speaking of which, does each copy of Shattering Spree resolve independently? For instance, could I cast Shattering Spree, replicate twice, and fully take out a wurmcoil engine?

At any rate, that is the deck I'll be playing in the trial today. Any comments/criticisms/death threats are welcome!
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spark elemental + lava spike could get your lands to 20, think about it.
Darric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a similar deck with mixed success recently.

It doesn't seem to have any auto losses since it always has a chance to get an explosive enough start, which is always good. However, it can just as easily get bad draws and doesn't seem to have many matchups heavily in it's favour. I tried to improve on that by putting in Magma Jet, which did help to some extent.

I really like Grim Lavamancer, since he can usually bash for 1 into an empty board and is often worth 3/4 damage unless he eats removal.

I also considered Stormblood but came to much the same conclusion as yourself. The Marauders are just way more reliable to get some damage in.

My build is also more of a burn deck since it runs 20 land, more cheap burn and doesn't run Figure of Destiny. I've stopped playing it for now since it seems too inconsistent and depends a lot on how much red hate your opp is packing.

As for Shattering Spree, the copies go on the stack, so resolve independent of the original spell.

Edit: Here's the most recent version I played.

Lands

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
12 Mountain

Creatures

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Goblin Guide

Spells

2 Searing Blaze
2 Shard Volley
4 Rift Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Incinerate
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike

Sideboard

4 Blood Moon
3 Flames of the Blood Hand
2 Smash to Smithereens
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Ratchet Bomb

I definitely think the sideboard is wrong, but not sure how to fix.

Last edited by Darric on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:
spark elemental + lava spike could get your lands to 20, think about it.

Spark Elemental is terrible lategame.

I'm thinking about replacing something with Stigma Lasher as a means to deal with Kitchen Finks, which every deck and their mother seem to be running right now.

Also, I was just thinking about this, you have to target them when you play the spell, so the 2 tokens from wurmcoil wouldn't be in play before then. I might cut Shattering Spree back to 3 to add another Magus of the Moon.

I think the only matchup I don't really have an advantage in is Boros. Everything else seems to be either bad game one, then heavily in my favor post sb with the Blood Moons, or just right out good.
Darric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right about the Wurmcoil situation. I missed the targetting part.
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you maindeck the magus?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx wrote:
Why don't you maindeck the magus?

Because it's a 2/2 for 3 that eats removal and is gonna be completely useless about 5-15% of the time.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1