Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

City of Traitors + Glacial Chasm

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: City of Traitors + Glacial Chasm Reply with quote

Suppose I control a City of Traitors, and play a Glacial Chasm from my hand.

Quote:
From the Comprehensive Rules (February 1, 2009)

212.6. Lands
212.6a Playing a land card is a special action (see 408.2d). To play a land card, the player simply puts it into play. The land card doesnít go on the stack, and is never a spell, so players canít respond to it with instants or activated abilities.

When I play Glacial Chasm, according to 212.6a, it is simply "put into play."
Normally, "playing" something requires it to wait on the stack, and if two creatures said "whenever you play a creature spell, sacrifice this creature" and "when this creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice a creature," you obviously would not be able to sacrifice the first creature to the second's ability, as it would be sacrificed before the second entered the battlefield.

But for lands, there's no intervening time on the stack - does this mean that I am able to order the abilities such that I sacrifice City of Traitors to the Glacial Chasm ability before it sacrifices itself, or am I misinterpreting?
AEonFlux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Judge but from my knowledge.
You have two triggered abilities. Glacial chasms and city of traitors. When you play Glacial Chasm, city of traitors triggers, thus u have to sacrifice it. Glacial Chasm OFFICIALLY enters the battlefield after city of traitors ability is triggered and carried out.Than leading glacial chasms ability to trigger.
DARKING
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, since lands does not use the stack, City of Traitors will trigger once Glacial Chasm is on the battlefield. So you will have two triggers at the same time, and you can stack them anyway you choose, so it is possible to sacrifice the City of Traitors to Glacial Chasm.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comprehensive rulebook is updated every three months. The most recent edition (15 July 2011) clarified that playing lands doesn't use the stack:

Quote:
305. Lands

305.1. A player who has priority may play a land card from his or her hand during a main phase of his or her turn when the stack is empty. Playing a land is a special action; it doesnít use the stack (see rule 115). Rather, the player simply puts the land onto the battlefield. Since the land doesnít go on the stack, it is never a spell, and players canít respond to it with instants or activated abilities.

Download the latest edition here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1