Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget champs deck, BR

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Budget champs deck, BR Reply with quote

I don't play much IRL, but I want to play in champs this coming weekend, so I came up with this.

// Lands
7 [ZEN] Swamp (4)
7 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
4 [M10] Terramorphic Expanse
4 [ROE] Evolving Winds

// Creatures
3 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental
4 [CFX] Shambling Remains
4 [ARB] Anathemancer
4 [ARB] Jund Hackblade

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Hideous End
2 [ROE] Staggershock
1 [ROE] Sarkhan the Mad
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [ARB] Veinfire Borderpost
4 [ARB] Demonic Dread

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
SB: 4 [WWK] Roiling Terrain
SB: 3 [CFX] Goblin Outlander
SB: 4 [CFX] Banefire

Wanted some opinions on it. I already own the hemmorage's and banefires, but I don't have any cards from M10 or Zen block. Figured I'd just pick up the cards I needed.

The Demonic dreads are for Wall of omens and sprouting thrinaxs. They either get a haster or a bolt, so it seems decent.

Anathemancers and Blightnings serve as walker removal. OFC blightning is just always decent, so I dont' really have to justify that one. 26 mana sources make the anathemancers legit for unearth, which I believe will give UW headaches unless they path it. Ofc if they path it, they can't path shambling remains.

I've been testing a little on MWSPlay and it's been doing very well. The roiling terrains in the board are really just to get that extra smash in against Reliquary decks. Hideous End in the main is solid to stop baneslayers or pesky wall of omens.

Comments and advice appreciated. Thx.
Tonya

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play the BR burn deck that won the last trial or whatever it was. Your deck is decent and all for something casual, but it won't really compete vs. a real top tier deck. If you're going to have fun, that's one thing, but if you expect to win your deck needs to be much more efficient.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget cards you could have a look at:

Deathmark
Slave of Bolas
Volcanic Fallout
Flame Lash
Searing Blaze
Burst Lightning

Borderposts are terrible. You run 26 mana sources in a deck with a curve ending at 3. 12 of those are coming into play tapped. Cut the Borderposts, go up to 23-24 lands.

Anathemancer isn't that good anymore. Certainly 4 of them are too many considering the opponent is unlikely to have more than 2-3 nonbasics in play before a deck like this either wins or is too slow.

Shambling Remains can be an ok card. Jund Hackblade also, but it requires either Shambling or Anathemancer in play for it to have haste. Both of them are 3cc while Hackblade is 2cc. The synergy is low.

Hideous End is an ok card. But there are better options to kill creatures at instant speed.

Demonic Dread got cascade but the effect is poor. The cascade itself does not warrant 4 card slots.

The curve:
1 cmc: 4 cards
2 cmc: 7 cards
3 cmc: 26 cards (including Borderpost)
5 cmc: 1 card

Clearly, you must see a potential for improvement considering what I have said here Smile
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do beleive he uses the borderpost to activate the hackblade
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookie_Mnstr wrote:
i do beleive he uses the borderpost to activate the hackblade

Hmm yes but Hackblade isn't powerful enough to warrant playing the 9-12th tapped mana as well as 8 other multicoloured cards that may be less powerful than needed by themselves.

If Hackblade read "If you control another multicoloured permanent, we at Wizards will personally award you a lifetime supply of wet and willing supermodels", it would be ok to run that pack of other multicoloured permanents just to let it activate. Otherwise, not so much.
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha i like that ability so much more XD.
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I take out the shambling remains, anathemancers and hackblades what the heck am I going to attack with?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget?

Right now it looks like you are not planning to get any cards at all. I mean, why bother going to a major tournament with all those expenses without a deck that would give you a chance to do well?

I don't think it is possible to build anything close to viable at less than 100$ worth of cards.

Here's my current RbDW build

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
8 [ZEN] Mountain
4 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches (10)
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit (30)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn (35)
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa (35)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide (12)
4 [ROE] Kargan Dragonlord (35)
4 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental (4)
4 [ALA] Hell's Thunder (18 )
4 [M10] Ball Lightning (12)

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning (2)
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt (4)
4 [WWK] Searing Blaze (2)
4 [ALA] Blightning (4)

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [ROE] Flame Slash (1,5)
SB: 2 [ARB] Slave of Bolas (1)
SB: 4 [M10] Deathmark (2)
SB: 2 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout (2)
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster (2)

= 211,5 dollars - based on the price guide at magictraders.com (p.s I assume it is dollars).

If you change the manabase to what you have, but go 13 mountains, 3 swamps, 4 expanse, 4 Evolving wilds, you are saving $110. That is a 100 dollar deck with a bad but "free" mana base. It is competitive.

If you swap the Dragonlords for either Quenchable Fire or Staggershock, you save yourself 30$ more. But it hurts the curve. And Dragonlord is awesome!
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
dragonlord is awful
except when they path your turn 1 goblin guide then he is awesome

2/2 red guys with no drawback for 2 are never awful. If you use him right, he is an alphastrike by himself. Tapping out to let them PtE it afterwards is the n00b play. It is simple, really - level up only when they shouldn't have let you do so, or when you got nothing better to do with your mana. If you cry when they kill him because you have allocated resources into him that you shouldn't have, you do it wrong.
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

If Hackblade read "If you control another multicoloured permanent, we at Wizards will personally award you a lifetime supply of wet and willing supermodels", it would be ok to run that pack of other multicoloured permanents just to let it activate. Otherwise, not so much.

You win the internetz! Laughing
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:
level up only when they shouldn't have let you do so, or when you got nothing better to do with your mana.

yeah when I think RDW I think "I have nothing better to do with my mana" at least hell's thunder was removal resistant and could kill planewalkers with its haste/evasion

if anyone has bothered to watch the dragonlord in testing he doesn't have haste, he likes to bump into 0/4 walls
or sit under o-ring, or get wrathed away.

it went nuts once after a turn 1 path but even that wouldnt have happened if the red player was stuck with a teetering peaks to prevent 1 turn of levelling
or if his opponent had a 2nd path and/or o-ring

I am consistently winning with him being that which the opponent couldn't deal with. No-one wants to spend resources killing a 2/2, but if the game goes past the solitaire-mode RDW and the turns go to five, six and beyond - which it does more often than not - they might have to if their removal is sorcery speed. Until this point, he is a 2/2 for all purposes - and that is unimpressive of course. But I think that if you drop him with 4-5 mana on the board after having used the other mana doing something else, like Blightning, the next turn you are going to possibly have at least a 4/4 flyer smashing face and the opponent can't have that.

Some decks are capable of killing everything you have on the board all the time, and then he is not that good. Other decks only got PtE as instant creature kill and rely on blockers and sweepers to defend themselves. Against those, Kargan Dragonlord win games alone.

In my deck it replaces Staggershock and other inefficient and high-cost burn cards which I think are sub-par in the deck. Cards that are included as 2-ofs or 1-ofs to "fill out" the deck. None of the regular RbDW staples are missing. Are you seriously saying that MD Quenchable Fires and Goblin Ruinblasters (marginal cards) or overfilling the 3cmc slot with shitty burn like Staggershock are better options than a 2/2 red guy for RR?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1