Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

black 1 drops - sealed opinions

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: black 1 drops - sealed opinions Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
wanted to hear some opinions on the 3 vamps that you might find in your sealed pools

guul draz
lacerator
pulse tracker

are they all playable? deck/curve dependant?
I had the ear of a pro(3 PT top 8's) who would never consider
pulse tracker in any deck but that guul draz is an auto include.

anyone else feel the same way? that the card with early game legs is unplayable and the late game card is the way to go.
I'd use both. without any extra considerations like urge to feed would you?

I'd use all three. I think they all have good upside compared to other 1 drops in the common slot. Pulse tracker kinda has lategame upside...It "gets in there" for 1 either way at least once. So it's not useless. I think they all work together. I'm more of a drafter now (thanks magic-league) so I aggressively try and get all three of them, but in sealed if you get any amount above 3 of them, i'd play all of them.

Lacerator is an auto-include no matter what your build looks like. It "trades up" as they say.
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons to run 1 drops is to trade with 2/1's on offense.

If I'm running a black/blue deck with a lot of fliers I will almost always run at least a single 1 drop black creature just for the sake of trading with a Surrakar Marauder.

I think Quad Vampires is far superior to everything you listed.

Lacerator really only fits in black/red or an aggressive black/white.

I would probably only run pulse tracker if I absolutely had to and primarily for defensive purposes.
Kienan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all three are playable in Sealed, although I do think Pulse Tracker is the worst of the three. Yes, it can be awesome, but only if you get lucky and draw it early (turn one preferably). At the Prerelease I was lucky enough to end up with two Pulse Trackers in my opening hand, and proceeded to beat my opponent down to nothing very quickly. He was not pleased to see that turn one Pulse Tracker, and even less pleased to see the second one.

I'd say that Guul Draz Vampire is the best of these, since it is good no matter when you draw it, and doesn't have a downside like Vampire Lacerator. Plus Intimidate has the potential to really do some late game damage.

What it really comes down to, though, is what kind of a deck you are trying to make with the pool. Pulse Tracker can be good in certain decks, and Guul Draz Vampire does indeed seem to go good in almost everything. Basically, in my opinion, Guul Draz > Lacerator > Pulse Tracker, but all can be played.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, quad vampires is straight amazing if your deck has a couple of equipment cards in it like a machete and adventuring gear.

My pre-release pool had 2 machetes so quag vampires was obviously "pretty good."
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1