Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prerelease, Results and Stories

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Kienan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Prerelease, Results and Stories Reply with quote

I just got back from the first day of prerelease events. There were two back to back in my area, but I only had enough money for one with me. I may go back tomorrow, but I doubt it, since I really have other expenses to concern myself with at the moment. But it was so much fun I could also just say 'screw it' and go play again.

Anyway, it was 3xZEN 3xWWK Sealed, with four rounds of Swiss pairings.

I made a White/Black deck, and went 3-1 with it, winning six additional Worldwake boosters.

The most useful card in terms of gameplay was Basilisk Collar. Amazingly versatile, it helped me control my opponent's creatures and attack options. Since it's equipment, I could shift it around as I wanted, too, giving any of my creatures deathtouch and lifelink.

I won't list the whole deck, but other cards of interest were a Makindi Shieldmate (went great with the Collar), two Perimeter Captains, and two Spidersilk Nets for further lasting board control, one each of Disfigure, Journey to Nowhere, and Iona's Judgment for spot removal, as well as my two big dogs, a Felidar Sovereign and an Admonition Angel.

I had a lot of fun, played well, and won a lot. It was an overall success. I do wish I'd gone 4-0 instead of 3-1, but I'm still pleased with how I did. I only lost that one game to bad luck, though. The same deck configuration that I went on to beat everyone else with with no mana problems got mana-screwed during the first game of the first round, and the game dragged on so long that we ran out of time during the second game, so my opponent won, even though I was winning that game. Oh well, as I said, I'm still pleased with my 3-1 and my six boosters. I had fun, did the best I could, and won something.

Oh, yeah, and I haven't played Magic in two years either. Oh, speaking of, I finally have a DCI number, too. Smile

Anyone else have any Prerelease stories to share? Anyone do really good, get excellent cards, or both?

I still want one of the new Jaces. I might have one in one of my prize packs, I haven't opened them yet.

Anyway, share your stories, if you feel like it. Very Happy

~Kienan.
kaamos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 5 rounds of 3x Zen and 3x WWK sealed, went 3-0 and was top spot (playing black/red) and 4th round played against -apparently- the highest dci rated player playing b/r/g and, all three games i brought him to 4 or less life, second game finished him off with a burn, but in the two previous games he brought me down to zero from 15+ Quite alot of fun.

5th round went 0-2 with a total of 3-2 making 8th place winning 3 packs. Alot of the games as red black I was running out of gas, the no.1 player was the guy i went 1-2 too, he had 4 badass rares in his deck and multiple cone of creatures. (hehe)

Drafted a Red green deck, using two cones of creatures, two leatherbacks, two kick bears, two reach bear/spiders, 3 discard goblns (ok yea, i dont remember all of the names, and you guys havent treated me well enough to earn my effort getting them out) I spashed black for the goblns as they needed a swamp in play, and I hatedrafted the guy to my right as much black removal (2x smothers lol) and ended up with a great amount of aggro, kitesails, 2x quicksands, so on.

I made it to the final match and played -the exact same guy from my 4th round earlier- he offered to have me concede to up his DCI rating for even packs (winner 8 loser 4, we split em to 6) we played anyway and he won 2-1 so I was happy about that. He played mono white fliers.... nobody had conflicting drafts here it seems...

Went through the night to bust a few rare manlands and a lodestone golem, amongst others. Continued looking for a playset of lodestones for a possible esper deck.

One of the best parts of the night was the owner offered anyone to get him a cup of ice down the street at WaWa during a snowstorm. Everyone started to say "Sure" to a *favor* and once he specified one guy said "Fuck It" and marched his ass out there.

That pack busted a Foil Nihil Stone. xD

Also to those who 'roll on the standard forums I took off work friday to try my B/R aggro deck with the megrims and kedrect parasites, and nearly went 4-0, one blue/white deck lived by the skin of its teeth by 1 life from one of its +1 life tapped dual lands. Failsauce.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

played a zzzwww 5-round sealed tournament at the local card shop. when I opened the packs, the only things that made me Oogle were Dragonmaster outcast and Mordant dragon. I ran red-green with white splash for some spot removal, and the star of green was leatherback baloth.

by the time my record was 2-1 though, I decided to switch to Black-red with a green splash, splashing green for vines of vastwood and canopy cover. The black actually made it amazing, and i'm sorry I didn't see it the first time: I had several vampires, urge to feed, and everybody's favorite vampire nighthawk.

unfortunately, I got mana screwed in round 4, and a misplay tied up a crucial swamp as a needed 3/3 blocker... which should've been the disposable mountain got me the 1-2 record for that game, turning me to a 2-2.

and then round 5 I won handily, but tiebreakers pushed me to 9th place, one away from additional prizes. so... so close.
spudfuss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really excited for the pre-release, but friday night it snowed about 8 inches and i wasnt able to make it, let down of the month. (or would that honor go to Green Bay)
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blue mill-ally + join the ranks = tech

my story: a player calls me to the table. his opponent attacked with goblin guide 4 times. he revealed the own cards, getting him 2 lands to hand.
Joby_Turk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goblin guide 4 times. he revealed the own cards, getting him 2 lands to hand.

Eh... must be a new ruling i haven't seen Razz
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pG has moved to germany?
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a www draft yesterday, and I decided with the first few cards to draft RG.

on the second and third pack, I netted an additional 4 searing blazes, pushing me up to 5 of them (one of them foil Very Happy )

the deck won me 2nd in that draft, but only because I got mana-screwed in the last match, followed by him drawing all his best fliers at the exact time that I happened to draw no searing blazes.

bestial menace never even showed up Mad
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you guys havent treated me well enough to earn my effort getting them out

but we love Kaamos!

And Kienan, thanks for providing links. Sounds like you had an insane deck on your hands![/quote]
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two headed giant my side got out Eternity Vessel and Blood Chief Ascension.

We struggled to get the Ascension active and took a total of 66 damage (offset by eternity vessel mostly, some blood chief and vampire night hawk help) and managed to win the game after bloodchief ascension went active and they literally couldn't do anything.

I think we ended that game by killing one of their creatures which killed their team due to ascension.

Another game we curved out turn 3 night hawk turn 4 abyssal persecutor.

Fun times, 2HG is awesome. I wish they would bring back TEAM SEALED - my favorite format of all time.

Lost my first game in the individual portion and finished 3-1. Tough break, my deck was good (5/4 flying vampire, rampaging baloths, marsh casualties, hideous end etc.) but the dude was just a step ahead of me all the time.

I ran 2 quick sands, a misty rain forest, and 2 grim discoveries. Quick Sand with grim discovery is amazing.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1