Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget UW Ally-Mill

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Zendikar block constructed
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Budget UW Ally-Mill Reply with quote

(Prices from wizardscupboard. com)

A friend of mine wants me to throw together an ~$20 UW allies list for her for Zen Block. She really likes the prospect of playing mill allies with Halimar Excavator, so I'm thinking:

Quote:
Budget UW Allies
-- ---------

($1.00) 4x Seriji Refuge
($0.00) 10 Plains
($0.00) 10 Islands

($2.00) 4x Hada Freeblade
($1.40) 4x Halimar Excavator
($3.80) 4x Jwari Shapeshifter
($1.20) 4x Kazandu Blademaster
($0.60) 4x Ondu Cleric
($4.80) 4x Talus Paladin
($1.60) 4x Kabira Evangel
-----------
28 creatures

($0.80) 4x Join the Ranks
($4.60) 4x Archive Trap
-----------
8 other spells

or
($0.40) 4x Umara Raptor
in place of Kabira Evangel
or
($1.00) 4x Sea Gate Loremaster
in place of somebody (I may only use 2-3 in place of 1 Ondu Cleric, 1 Talus Paladin, and 1 Kabira Evangel)

Total is currently $23.20, including the Raptors and Loremasters.

If I could I'd run Jace, Mindsculptor (54.95x4 = 199.80!!!) and
Celestial Colonade (6.95x4 = 27.80), but those are a bit on the pricey end.

What else would be good in a uw allies deck? I probably need cheap (low mana and low money) card draw and effective spot removal. But if I take away any of the allies, the deck gets weaker.

(And how the hell do you make an allies sideboard? Kor Firewalker, Devout Lightcaster? I dunno. Block is so restrictive. Allies are kinda annoying, because siding out makes all the allies a lot worse.)
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey to Nowhere is the removal I was looking for...

Now for card draw... treasure hunt kinda sucks.
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say mysteries of the deep is the best card draw in block at the moment. It's also very cheap to buy, so seems like a good fit.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loremaster is really good. I tested it and I love it cuz my opp has to use all the removals he can to stop my horde, so there's a low chance he'll be destroyed.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loremaster's too good to not throw in at least a two-of.
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

Updating...
Loremaster is nuts...

Quote:
Creatures
4x Hada Freeblade
4x Kazandu Blademaster
4x Halimar Excavator
4x Jwari Shapeshifter
3x Ondu Cleric
3x Kabira Evangel
3x Talus Paladin
3x Sea Gate Loremaster

Land
8x Island
12x Plains
4x Sejiri Refuge

Spells
4x Join the Ranks
4x Archive Trap

Sideboard
3x Journey to Nowhere
3x Vapor Snare (good against Malakir Bloodwitch or allies)
3x Dispel
1x Talus Paladin
1x Kabira Evangel
4x Kor Firewalker

So...

1. Does this deck need more spells? Like removal? Too bad dispel isn't actually Negate...
2. Does Umara Raptor deserve a spot in the deck or side?
3. How many CIPT lands is the right amount? If I get ahold of 2 Celestial Colonnades, should we run 4 Sejiri Refuge and 2 CCs?
4. Land distribution look alright?

Projected Sideboarding...

Against Vamps: +1 Kabira Evangel, +1 Talus Paladin, +3 Journey to Nowhere, +3 Vapor Snare, -4 Halimar Excavator, -4 Archive Trap

?? Or should the deck stay aggro/mill ??
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play to blue/white strengths, run Into the Roil and Journey to Nowhere.

Into the Roil is just a brilliant card for Blue, especially in Block Allies...

Also: Rite of Replication. Please.
You may take out a blademaster for a cleric; Cleric will keep you alive quite a while. I would also drop a paladin.

Finally, one of White Allies' advantages are their cheap allies... You MIGHT be able to drop a pair of lands for another spell. -1 Island -1 Plains +2 Rite of Replication, -1 Paladin +1 Cleric.

I personally dislike the Evangel. He's gotten LOADS better with Join the Ranks, but I think he's still not worth including. He's a 2/3 for 3, at least. And he'll activate all your other allies. The issue with him + Paladin + Join the Ranks is that it becomes muddled what you'll play with four mana. Play Kabira and hold mana open for a Ranks? Or just play the Paladin now...? For me it's not ideal to have two cards fighting over the 4-mana position.

Your deck looks like it tries to end the game quickly before the opponent can do anything... I'm not sure if UW Allies can actually do this. For this reason, cutting the Freeblade could be viable. Could.
loki3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushU wrote:
Play to blue/white strengths, run Into the Roil and Journey to Nowhere.

Main deck? I actually am thinking of making this even more aggro... To play U/W tech, I'd have to reduce the synergy of the allies... or give up mill...
I choose to give up mill.

I was thinking running 3 Brave the Elements?, b/c the creatures I care about, from an aggro stand point, are white.

CrushU wrote:
Also: Rite of Replication. Please.

I'm inclined to say "No" to this. Unless you forsee lots of stalemates that we are waiting to break open. I'd rather run more allies that I can drop sooner to stabilize faster...

Though kicking this at a Loremaster is good for the lols. And kicking at an aggro creature is ridiculous... even with 1 Hadra Freeblade and a kicked RtR... 5 6/7 HF's come into play and the original 1/2 becomes 7/8... that's 36 power and 41 toughness for 9 mana!!!! But it is only amazing when kicked.

The thing is, this deck gets crazy good anyways, once it hits 4 lands (unless they run wrath or earthquake), and it can be insanely explosive. Like Sliver decks in muliplayer matches... as everyone else's board position/presence slows down as the game progresses, allies just get meaner. Razz

CrushU wrote:
take out a blademaster for a cleric;

I disagree. KB is probably the deck's MVP. HF and JtR are close.

CrushU wrote:
Finally, one of White Allies' advantages are their cheap allies... You MIGHT be able to drop a pair of lands for another spell.
Good Call. 22 lands time.

CrushU wrote:
Your deck looks like it tries to end the game quickly before the opponent can do anything... I'm not sure if UW Allies can actually do this. For this reason, cutting the Freeblade could be viable. Could.
I want to end it fast if possible! Multiples of Hadra Freeblade and or Kazanadu Blademaster or with the "Ally Clone" pretty much is aggro stampede. A T1 Hadra Freeblade or T2 Kazanadu Blademaster only takes a little bit of nudging to become a monster. Curving out with T1 HF, T2 Random Ally (RA), T3 RA, T4 RAx2 or JtR results in a 5/6 creature and either some other biggies, or at worst, mill or lifegain. If I hit KB instead, curving out gives me a T4 5/5 first striker with vigilance + benefits.

I'm actually contemplating making it even more aggro... so long as she (the person for which I am making this) approves.

Quote:

Aggro UW (Mill as side option??)

Creatures
4x Hada Freeblade
4x Kazandu Blademaster
4x Halimar Excavator
4x Jwari Shapeshifter
4x Ondu Cleric
-
3x Umara Raptor
2x Kabira Evangel
-
2x Talus Paladin
-
3x Sea Gate Loremaster

Land
7x Island
11x Plains
4x Sejiri Refuge

Spells
4x Join the Ranks
4x Journey to Nowhere

Sideboard

4x Archive Trap
3x Vapor Snare
2x Into the Roil
1x Kabira Evangel
1x Talus Paladin
4x Kor Firewalker

My biggest threats in Vamps are NightHawk, Malakir Bloodwitch. I'm gonna see how the more aggro approach works... and test a ton of G1s with a Vamp build. Then I'll try to tweak the board, again.
loki3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
hindering light, mind control and essence scatter are good in board for vamps

I wish... but the equivalents in block constructed are kinda shabby...
Dispel, Spell Pierce, Cancel... UW removal is kinda crappy... though I could run devout lightcaster in the sideboard... kinda...
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, you're in block... I'd remembered that for card choices, but not for meta. In block, you have to compete with Vampires, Kor, and Goblins for Aggro.

I'll tell it like it is: Vampires will rape you. Even in block. The big weakness of Allies is a removal-heavy deck, and Vampires are practically the definition of that.

Kor will be tough for you to overcome, because they can flood the battlefield faster than your allies, and will have armament master and equipment giving them boosts.

Goblins I've not gotten enough experience with to really evaluate them.

Rite of Replication is absoultely bonkers in the mirror. "Huh. Black allies? Oh well... Lets Replicate that Occultist! Wee, recursion!" I'm not saying run four, god no. Smile Just run two. You want to see one of them in a game.

Regarding UW Mill: In normal T2, someone I know is running a Bant Allies deck, but went against a UW Mill and decided to shift a few allies from aggro to the Mill philosophy (I think he took Survivalist out for Excavator.) Simply because it's crazy if you use Harabaz Druid to ramp into a Replication kicked onto an Excavator. That adds G to the deck, and another rare, Harabaz... So I'm not sure if it's for you. I personally believe UW Allies CAN work.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Zendikar block constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1