Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

u/r owl after WWK comes in

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

u/r owl having the ability to combo 1 turn earlier and the new lands could that make u/r owl more competitive?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
no
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

combomaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: u/r owl after WWK comes in Reply with quote

the old list i have now...

spells x38

3x burst lightning
4x lightning bolt
4x unsummon
4x ponder
1x trapmakers snare
3x twincast
4x howling mine
3x jace baleren
4x font of myoths
4x time warp
4x runeflare trap

lands

4x scalding tarn
8x mountain
10x island

(And now for after WWK changes) -3 burst -1 trapmakers +4 everflowing chalice now the tricky part the land base in this deck either Halimar Depths or Quicksand would be a nice addition but both have thier down sides and i have to get the land base right...i guess it might look like this -4 scalding tarn + 4 Halimar Depths(i personally would think this would be the best of the pick) -2 islands +2 mountains..

any ideas or comments?side i havent though of yet afer WWK
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.... I think I'm going to continue to run a similar build to your old one except -1 trapmaker's snare and +1 island.

Thinking about it... I realized I probably can't play RDW anymore because of kor firewalker. I also realized that white can run 8 pro black guys and 4 kor firewalkers, making jund much much worse. With RDW and Jund out of the way, owling mine seems to have a pretty good future.

I don't know about everflowing chalice for the bursts... Bursts seem pretty essential to me for early game removal. Fast decks will just wreck owling mine if it can't stall until it time warp's or gets lethal damage with runeflare/twincast.

One thing I'm looking at though is dispel.... Most things that cause owling mine to lose the game (other than jund spells such as maelstrom pulse and blightning) are instants. I played against boros a lot in real life with my owling mine deck and it usually wins by burning me out in response to whatever damage I can deal to it after the draw. Dispel is a good card to keep in your hand to get rid of any counter spells or burn spells that the opponent can play in response to runeflare.... I think it will probably find a place in my sb at least.
nate666

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: pfft Reply with quote

if owl has bad match up vs jund and rdw and it runs mainly burn how cn it be any gud vs white now? looks to me wws is cumming bak in a hard way but still cant beat control. it looks to me worldwake is crap just aggro decks will start running the new strip mine.
daave259

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't see how the new cards will make the deck stronger, if the deck needed a counter negate would be better, but twincast has much more utility. also goblin guide is a house!
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To nate: Unsummon pretty much beats white. If you get to turn 5 and they haven't o-ringed your mines/jace/font, you pretty much win vs. white. They just have to sit back and watch as you take 4 turns in a row and then punch them in the face with 999 dd.
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white will dominate you with new cards, then you'll be left with only bad matchups
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which white cards? I'm pretty certain that'll still be a good match-up. Also, vampires is a good match-up. The only card in worldwake that HURTS u/r owl (so far) is Nature's Claim.
combomaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: in response Reply with quote

first to nate i dont think you have played owl ever jund is not a bad match up by any means id have to say its actually 55-45 in owls favour main deck most junds only play 3 maelstrom pulse max...rdws on the other hand is a bad match up.but....on the up side if rdw disappeers then there is other cards like (Sleep) i can use to hose mono white if needs be but there should be no need.
TheGODehT i would at least if i was u fitting everflowing challice into the deck for 2 reasons you can combo turn 4 with font or howling mine and you can timewarp turn 4 to.
the new land is almost ponder on a stick with out the draw helping you draw out the cards you need...so i think that will probably where fit nicely where scalding tarn used to be so as to not damage the mana base too much.
now to dave the deck doesnt play counters main because we are in a creature dominated meta enough said....goblin guide is a house but is he worth the difference between me comboing on turn four with chalice or time warping into combo?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1