Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWb Knightfall/Junk

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: GWb Knightfall/Junk Reply with quote

I've been working on this deck for a little while. This isn't really my style of deck, I tend to play control a lot more than aggro/midrange, but my roommate is the opposite, so I'm helping build this for him. I don't own Lotus Cobras, but I was never crazy about them in GWb anyway. Help would be appreciated. Sorry I don't have any matchup analysis yet, as my work hours haven't allowed me to test this very much yet. Perhaps over the weekend I can put some testing hours into it against the more well-known decks and see what happens.

4 Forest
4 Plains
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Marsh Flats
3 Sunpetal Grove
3 Stirring Wildwood
2 Swamp

4 Loam Lion
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Ranger of Eos
4 Emeria Angel
4 Baneslayer Angel
2 Borderland Ranger

4 Path to Exile
3 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Honor of the Pure

Sideboard:
4 Kor Firewalker
3 Great Sable Stag
3 Celestial Purge
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Identity Crisis
1 Maelstrom Pulse

I'm not sure if the Hierarch should be there over Steppe Lynx, but in the few games that I was able to play with the deck before I made the swap, Lynx just didn't impress me that much. Sure, if you open with a hand full of fetches, it was fine, but if not, it wasn't great. The deck just doesn't really have all that much to ramp into, so... What do you guys think?

Oh, and I don't have any yet, but do you think that Basilisk Collar would be better than Stag in the sideboard for the control matchups? I have a feeling that Wall of Denial, Jwar Jwar Sphinx, & "Convertible Turtle" aren't going to be fun to sit across from.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honor of the pure in this deck is pretty much a "win-more" card. Cut it for a planeswalker of some kind.
Edowardo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes moar collar
R3wind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honor the Pure wants to Duress. It's so good in so many matches. The only time you want to side it out is vs RDW and the like.
loki3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Lynx for the Lion, perhaps Reply with quote

IMHO Steppe Lynx >> Loam Lion.

Quote:
Here's the scenarios for Lynx's P/T. Remember, you are running 8 fetches + 4 KotR + 16 normal land, so you have lots of ways to activate him.

Lynx 0/1
No land, no KotR

Lynx 2/3
Play a land (even a sac-land, if you don't use it)
Use KotR to pull a manland, dual, or CiPT tech land (like Borja bog, Seriji Steppe)

Lynx 4/5
Play&crack a fetchland OR Use KotR to pull a fetchland&crack it

Lynx 6/7
regular land + KotR pull fetch
ORfetch + KotR pull single land

Lynx 8/9
fetch + KotR pull fetch

Loam lion will be 2/3 ~95% of the time (except early occasionally or land screw) other times he will be 1/1.

Although Lynx is normally 0/1, because it can get big (4/5) or even huge (6/7 or 8/9 or very rarely, more), it makes him worth it in my book. Unless you are planning on playing lots of defense with him Razz Even so, you can do tricks to deter your opponent, like leaving uncracked fetches on the field, KotR shenanigans, or the like.

Use Birds of Paradise instead of Nobel Hierarch.

I've been working on a similar GW Aggro deck (http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=132291#132291) which has turned into a GWb deck due to your post. Much respect!
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 ranger of eos is way too many. You can only fetch out loam lions, which aren't that amazing anyway.

Birds over noble hierarch has some legitimacy as a lot of decks are running earthquake these days.

I'd probably run 4 lotus cobra just for the random ability to power out a quick baneslayer.

With 4 baneslayers in the deck I'd be inclined to try running something more expensive, and then you'd have that deck from when Zendikar first came out that ran identity crises and was basically declared inferior to jund anyway.

The deck gained nothing from World Wake except Loam lion and that ain't enough to push it past Naya, Jund, or even Bant.

Try it with equipment and the equipment tutor dude. A behemoth sledge, a basilisk collar, and of course a single sigil. In that scenario, leave the Lotus Cobra out.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1