Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esper Mannequin

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AznSilly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Esper Mannequin Reply with quote

So I came up with this deck about a week ago, and I've been testing it in my spare time on MWS. The concept is basically a mannequin deck in esper colors for some nice techy finishers.
UPDATED: 8/26/09
Decklist:
Creature-
1x Magister Sphinx
2x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
3x Shriekmaw
4x Mulldrifter
4x Merfolk Looter
4x Kitchen Finks
Instant-
4x Makeshift Mannequin
4x Cryptic Command
3x Path to exile
3x Broken Ambitions
Sorcery-
2x Martial Coup
Planeswalker-
Lands-
4x Arcane Sanctum
2x Glacial Fortress
2x Mystic Gate
1x Swamp
3x Plains
5x Island
3x Reflecting pool
2x Vivid Creek
1x Vivid Meadow
1x Vivid Marsh

SB:
3x Bitterblossom
2x Scepter of Fugue
3x Infest
4x Stillmoon Cavalier
2x Oversoul of Dusk
1x Path to exile

Notes:
Magister Sphinx- basically why i chose to make the deck, it can be used on myself to stabilize vs aggro if ive already played it once on them or mannequined it once on them or if i played both/mannequined both. Otherwise it puts them at 10 life with a 5/5 for a 2 turn clock.
Sphinx of the steel wind- lots of jund aggro and 5cc running around and this guy gets past most of their removal spells + eats their creatures
Merfolk Looter- the engine of the deck

Tentative: Sower of temptation??
I await Constructive comments! I'll probably try it out in the next trial on here that I have time to play in. Please try out the deck and give your thoughts on specific matchups and cards to replace.

Last edited by AznSilly on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Svie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd replace some basics with reflecting pools and vivids instead of the other lands.
killjoy84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i would play a playset of mulldrifter and soul manipulation for extra recursion.
AznSilly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will replace the arcane sanctums and a few glacial fortresses with vivids and reflecting pools--I like having a lot of basics vs Anathemancers.

I don't want soul manipulation since I don't want to hard cast my finishers...though maybe it gets better once I put in mulldrifters.

One card that gives me problems often is Great sable stag. I only have 3 maindeck exiles...anyone have any other answers that are on color for me?? or will i have to resort to sb lightning bolts with vivids?
DuCK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block with wall of reverance?
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AznSilly wrote:
I think I will replace the arcane sanctums and a few glacial fortresses with vivids and reflecting pools--I like having a lot of basics vs Anathemancers.

I don't want soul manipulation since I don't want to hard cast my finishers...though maybe it gets better once I put in mulldrifters.

One card that gives me problems often is Great sable stag. I only have 3 maindeck exiles...anyone have any other answers that are on color for me?? or will i have to resort to sb lightning bolts with vivids?

you shouldn't base your shakey mana base on one card. There is a lot of them of there, but anathemancer has to be drawn to be affective and has to hit the board.

and by the time they can bring it back, you should have already stabalized the game
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AznSilly wrote:

Stag is such an epic creature, it's great to see that it causes such a problem when people make a control deck. Some answers to him that are pretty janky but playable in your deck are tidehollow sculler and meddling mage. Your best answer is really baneslayer angel and hallowed burial.

You could easily do without plumeveil and play sculler or MM md. Just as you can play mulldrifters main and get rid of jace / sign in blood. It makes no since to me why you don't have esper charm. It answers bitterblossom, goblin assault, oblivion rings, draws cards and at the draw step of an opponent can make them drop 2 cards. It's in your colors and is beyond playable.

Pacifism is playable in your colors. It seems silly but its a 2 cost enchantment that makes sable stag pretty useless. You could also play prison term which, against popular opinion is actually an amazing card vs aggro decks. Another good enchantment is recombinant bliss, will shut down a stable stag and give you health each turn which is relevant. Sure jund decks have maelstrom pulse, but thats a maelstrom pulse used on an enchantment instead of a real card like baneslayer angel. Your card advantage will make up for the use of janky answers, but its a much better side board choice over telemin performance (which really sucks).

Fix the mana base. 3 colors needs non-basics to run. Yours is just janky and will falter against a deck with a properly constructed mana base. Stay away from basics and the new dual lands. The go together in 2 color decks, but fail hard in 3 color production.
AznSilly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played in a mini...beat BW aggro control and 5CC (post board). Lost to Faeries...WTB sb answers (3 slots from removing telemin performance) gogo. also the new list has -3x sign in blood/-2x jace/-1x plumeveil for +4 mulldifter +2 esper charm and i put in vivids + reflecting pool instead of sanctum and some other stuff
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play test against faeries with zealous persecution in the sideboard. You could also try thoughtsieze and tidehollow sculler/meddling mage.

I think with your list thoughtsieze would be the best and most versatile. While your altering the list you should take out the 3 still moons and put in 3 baneslayer angels.

I predicted this list would have issues with faeries, esper colors have a hard time producing answers. Hand disruption / field wipes are useful. Favor hand disruption though. I have no idea if you have ever played with a fae deck, but they are very susceptible to thoughtsieze and tidehollow sculler. There hand often consists of 3 'real' cards and 4 land, and mulligans happen more often than not. A first or second turn thoughtsieze really tears up there game plan, and would probably be better than a janky answer like zealous persecution.
boeda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kitchen finks was my first option as a replacement for plumeveil, and offcourse mulldrifter.

I'd start with 4 finks, 4 mulls, 4 shriekmaws as your creature base and add your finishers depending on the meta (I think the looters are the best to swap with mulls).

glen elendra is worth discussion, either in main but definetely in sb.

Oh, and last but not least, Esper charm is way better then sign of blood, it has options and thus fits your control style better in my opinion.
AznSilly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I thought about Kitchen Finks...I just didn't know if I could get the double white consistently. The current list has 2x plumeveils and 2x esper charms, which may become 4x finks.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esper variants are normally aggro-control. This means that Bitterblossom is a very good card to have. Also improves your Faeries matchup.
AznSilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct vedrfolner. the latest version has 3x bitterblossom in the sideboard as well as 2 oversoul of dusk as replacement reanimation targets/fatties vs jund and faeries. i just havent been posting the updated decklists as much. i will later tonight i think.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1