Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MYOS Lorescale Gro

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: MYOS Lorescale Gro Reply with quote

Some of my friends play Make your own standard for fun. I want to convert this deck to MYOS.

4 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
3 Windswept Heath
3 Tundra
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Forest

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Quirion Dryad
4 Lorescale Coatl
2 Vendilion Clique

4 Brainstorm
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Counterbalance
2 Spell Snare

Sideboard
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Echoing Truth
3 Krosan Grip
2 Hydroblast

The idea is obv to play the tempo game. Gro a guy, beat face, and disrupt their game with counterspells.

What sets would be key for this deck? I understand that I am going to lose the dual lands, FoW, and StP.

From Alara block I do get Path to Exile so lossing StP is not as bad. 10th gives me mana fixing and QD. Time Spiral gets me 'Goyf and Think Twice as a psudo AK replacement. I am feeling the loss of Daze and FoW though.

I am def willing to entertain some card ideas and deck lists.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few clear alternatives. Ice Age+Alara might be a surprisingly strong call with Force, StP, Brainstorm, and some auxillary cards such as Portent, Counterspell and such. Alara is obviously necessary for Coatl.

You could pick up Quirion Dryad from Core although I'm not sure if it's the optimal choice for core set as the deck is hurting for spells too. Other big option is Winter Orb from 5th with obvious uses in Gro.

The second set could also be:
Time Spiral (Goyf, duh)
Masques (Daze, Brainstorm, Counterspell, etc.)

...that's about it off the top of my head. You can't construct Countertop and still play Coatl so I'd leave that to the rich. The manabase is going to be notably worse, but with enough cantrips, it might still work out 3c.

So yeah, if you really want to play Coatl, I'd start from Ice Age+Alara+Somethingth. If I was building Gro, I'd probably start with either Time Spiral+Masques+10th or Time Spiral+Ice Age+10th as Goyf is Just That Good™. The rest is just a matter of the flavour of free counter you'd like.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply!

Ice Age Block also has Brainstorm! I could play Power Sink and Counterspell from Ice Age as well. The loss of 'Goyf and Think Twice from Time Spiral is kinda lame. I guess that you can't have it both ways.

Does Alara block offer more then just Lorescale Coatl? Cascade spells could be very good or really bad... If I went for Cascade, I would need to drop the counterspells. That would put me on a pure tempo plan.

Maybe the deck should change colors for this format. Invasion Block gives you Vindcate, QD, and Gaea's Skyfolk.. Everyone knows that Vindicate is Just That Good™.

I guess that best thing is to cut QD and work on 'Goyf and Lorescale Coatl. I am unsure if the deck is going to convert well to the format.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't MYOS 5th edition and up making the original duals illegal? I could be wrong...
asamodious

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Isn't MYOS 5th edition and up making the original duals illegal? I could be wrong...

he stated this in the orginal post.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know that I am going to lose the dual lands. Mana fixing is one of the issues that I am having with the deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1