Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which deck for regionals?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Which would do better at regionals?
My WW Kithkin
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
My Blightning
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Which deck for regionals? Reply with quote

I have two decks that I could potentially take to regionals, one of which I've played at FNM many many times, and one that I have only played at school so far and plan to play at FNM for a few Fridays before regionals.... WW Kithkin and Blightning respectively.

These are my lists IRL:

// WW Kithkin

// Lands
21 [10E] Plains (1)
4 [LRW] Windbrisk Heights

// Creatures
2 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
4 [LRW] Cloudgoat Ranger
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
4 [LRW] Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 [LRW] Knight of Meadowgrain
2 [ALA] Ranger of Eos
4 [LRW] Wizened Cenn

// Spells
3 [10E] Glorious Anthem
4 [SHM] Spectral Procession
4 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 4 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 1 [CFX] Martial Coup
SB: 4 [EVE] Unmake
SB: 3 [ALA] Knight-Captain of Eos

// Blightning

// Lands
4 [10E] Sulfurous Springs
13 [6E] Mountain (2)
2 [TSP] Swamp (4)
4 [FUT] Graven Cairns

// Creatures
4 [10E] Mogg Fanatic
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
3 [ARB] Anathemancer
4 [CFX] Goblin Outlander
4 [CFX] Shambling Remains
3 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental

// Spells
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [ARB] Terminate
4 [ALA] Blightning
2 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
1 [CFX] Banefire

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ARB] Anathemancer
SB: 2 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
SB: 4 [10E] Terror
SB: 3 [10E] Dragon's Claw
SB: 4 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
SB: 1 [10E] Cruel Edict

Which would do better at regionals? Kithkin has been fairly successful at FNM in the past couple months, but hasn't been tested post-ARB.

Any ideas?
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kithkin will be a solid choice as it looks like the new cards are going to cause a surge in the number of blightning decks.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the 4 Oblivion Rings in sideboard. There are better options to deal with problem permanents.

One thing you could do is to add Ajani Vengeant. The manabase will not be hurt, and it is a card that can turn the control matchup in your favour. Wr Kithkin is a successful version.

Instead of Oblivion Rings, run Celestial Purge. It hits Bitterblossom as well as other red and black nasty stuff, and can thus go in vs both Faeries, BW tokens and RB blightning.

Another card I miss in the sideboard is Stillmoon Cavalier. It can win the BW tokens matchup almost alone. It will be more useful than Wrath of God and Martial Coup.

so -1 Plains, -1 Glorious Anthem +2 Ajani Vengeant and -8 Plains + 4 Rugged Prairie, +4 Battlefield Forge.

-4 Oblivion Ring, -1 Wrath of God, -1 Martial Coup, + 2 Ajani Vengeant, +4 Stillmoon Cavalier.

What do you side in Knight-Captain against?
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner says the truth. If you stick to WW, then add 4 Rustic Clachan to the deck in the place of 4 Plains.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, i think im going to run mirrorweave for regionals in my kith deck, why is no one running it anymore?
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely get the Rustic Clachans and Celestial purges, but the red/white non-basic lands will be really hard for me to get.... I played mono colored decks in t2 since my silhana ledgewalker deck and don't really have the mana to make a multicolored deck other than blightning currently.... plus I'm a student with no income... that doesn't help much >.<

Knight Captain was mainly when I needed to stall against some aggro decks...(late game against tokens maybe? dunno). It wasn't that useful but I had nothing else to throw in the sideboard instead.

My WW record at FNM is 6 1st place finishes, 2 2nd place finishes. The two times I lost were to 5cc and R/W brew. Elves was a close match-up for me but I beat it 100% of the matches in which I was against it.

No one plays BW tokens at my FNM magic though.... so I haven't played much against that match-up. I'm thinking it will be nearly impossible for me to get 4 stillmoon cavs by regionals... but I'll try.
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW Tokens, BRg Blightning or the WRb variant of Cruise are the aggro decks that you should be concentrating on trying to run for regionals. Kithkin and BR Blightning are a set behind, and you'll get stomped by the new stuff.

You have to be looking out for the new variants of 5cc, and the other, less powerful but much more consistant control and semi-control decks that people have been playing, like Grixis Mannequin and Jund Ramp.

In any case, this type 2 environment is pretty slow, so I'd be looking to streamline to race or play the most powerful control deck (ie, play BW tokens or 5cc, imo).

The two decks you posted are essentially the exact kind of fodder people playing these other decks want to play in their first rounds after byes, because you're essentially at least 1/2 deck generation behind, and thus, another bye.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty bad logic. Im pretty sure that affinity hit hard regardless of whatever Kamigawa introduced. I'm positive that if it could be played in extended, psychatog still would be played regardless of elfball. The only possible conclusion i can draw from "this deck is behind the times" is: test more vs newer decks to know how to beat them.
prauch

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play blightning but RGb blightning with bloodbraid elf and jund hackblade and taturmunge maniacs and ramgangs. decks pretty damn good
Barnacle

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing kithkin for the last 3 months and i really feel that it is the most consistent of all the aggro decks. What you lose in sheer power (cards like bloodbraid elf and blossom) you make up for in consistent draws, great sideboard cards for red decks, and the fact that one anthem or ajani activation puts most of your deck out of fallout range whereas b/w tokens needs 2.

I really think you should play Ajani Goldmane in your version but I also like that you have 2 Forge-Tenders main which is something I have been contemplating for quite some time. I think what it comes down to is the main card you want Forge-Tender for is Volcanic Fallout. Fallout is also countered by a single Ajani acivation albeit with the ability going on the stack and it not coming out until turn 4. The upside is that Ajani is much better against tokens. Not sure which will be better for the states metagame.

I have been testing 3 Finks in the board as an additional threat versus 5 color that comes back after they fallout as well as making it 7 cards you bring in against blightning or r/g aggro which I predict will be numerous at regionals. Not to mention the sexy combo with your Rustic Clachans and Ajani's! I also think Ranger of Eos is only worth it if you anticipate a high concentration of Boat Brew and 5Color in your area. Good luck and I hope you do well!

Last edited by Barnacle on Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparx7494

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no! so bad vs. white decks...play kithkin so you can automatically win vs. blightning
Barnacle

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you should add 2 Rustic Clachans and 2 or 3 Mutavaults for some of the plains. Stillmoon Cavalier is also a good idea for the tokens matchup. Elspeth takes the place of Ajani Vengeant just fine without having to play all the lands that go along with splashing 1 card. While the function of Elspeth is quite different he is similar in that he provides a threat that doesn't die to their removal forcing them to cryptic bounce+counter or attack it or lose the game in short order. Not to mention the fact that it makes their celestial purges that much more useless in the matchup! If you play 2 or 3 they go along way against the 5 color matchup.

Last edited by Barnacle on Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which deck for regionals? Reply with quote

Rustic clachan and mutavualt are awful in this deck. They are a significant hinderance. Im down to 1 clachan, 2 mutavualt.

TheGODehT, hit me up on twitter, mikeconway13, or shoot me an email. mikeconway13@gmail.com. Ill send you my kithkin list. its sick.
Barnacle

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 25 land 2 Clachans and 3 Mutavault could hardly be called a hinderance. I've been testing the deck extensively as well and it performs fine with those lands. Clachan has been quite relevant with the resurgence of green decks that play Wren's Run Vanquisher. Being able to give your Knight of Meadowgrain the bonus so it can still swing through is invaluable. It can also save a guy from Fallout or Tarfire. The risk of it coming into play tapped and hindering you early game is extremely low because if you keep a hand with no kithkin you are probably in a bind anyways.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Ajani Goldmane is more powerful in the deck than Elspeth (if you can't go WWr), but the evasion could be useful in a pinch. 2 Ajani, 1 Elspeth in main, perhaps?

Since you need white mana the first 3 turns, I also agree that Mutavaults are risky.

Knight-Captain isn't very useful for you, then. Paladin en-Vec is probably better to come in against the red decks (i.e other aggro decks). Try to get hold of as many Cavaliers as you can!

Do you have pithing needles? Nice against planeswalkers. You may want Wispmare against Glorious Anthem. Reveillark is nice in the side vs 5cc.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2