Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ala Ala Cfx 4-3-2-2 #1

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
dv8r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to comment on a draft like this when you've made so many mistakes but still seem to come out on top. But I guess it's a useful exercise...

p1p1
Don't waste people's time in the future by posting a draft where you mess up the first pick. Covenant of minds is a bomb, and you've just passed it. Terrible signal, especially as you've taken a common, most likely a red one in terms of signals.

p1p3
No mention of Cancel here? The card is very solid, and probably better than cancel the more aggressive your esper deck is (I don't know enough about your draft preferences to comment on this pick though, I personally love aggro esper, and cancel is one of the best value-added cards in the archtype). KotS is a fine pick, better considering that you passed covenant first pick.

p1p4
In gw, rather than jund, knight of the skyward eye, as an aggressive 2 drop with good late game potential is better than gharail, which is only a 1/1 for 4, and can't be pumped by the 2-3 pump spells you hope to draft for the aggro naya decks. It's ok in bant I guess, but so KotS.

p1p6
Covenant of minds this late? Take it, you can afford to hope for removal later.

p1p7
I agree with the pick but not the logic. By this same logic, you should have passed gharial 3 picks ago.

p1p11
Also good with you knight of the skyward eyes. Nothing to suggest atm you might not be in 5 colour, and the 5+ power plan might not be an option.

p2p1
Mycoloth is so good that it's worth the risk, you have two night of the skyward eyes atm, so you're splashing green anyway, and you're not missing out on anything very important.

p2p2
Rewarded for what? The guy took a rare over it :S

p2p3
One of the most important steps to becoming a better drafter is to have a plan. At the moment your logic is all over the place. You've passed many cards on the basis of colour choice, and now you take jund battlemage over obelisk and druid on the basis that it's a powerful card, what about mycoloth? This is the pick I would have made, but your reasons for taking it are completely wrong, having passed on mycoloth, you really have to pass on this.

p2p5
These go a lot later than they should.

p2p6
Alternatively take sigil blessing or jhessian infiltrator, both of which are good cards you might actually play?

p2p7
Atm, you have one panorama for fixing. This pick is very greedy, and you would prefer to have the fixing in pack 3 so you can take zombie outlanders instead of being forced to take fixing.

p2p8
You have 2 knight of the skyward eye and a jund battlemage, how is this NOT obelisk of bant? Seems a clear pick to me.

p2p9
...maybe in a 4-3-2-2

p2p10
wow that's late....

p3p3
if you'd taken the late obelisks earlier, this pick would be so much easier... I think you have to take sphere with your current picks, unless you are planning to get very lucky in the actual games.

p3p5
I feel very bad for the person you passed p1p2 and p1p8 covenant of minds, and kathari screecher from the leviathan pack, who basically probably followed signalling and ended up getting screwed by your erratic picks (that said, it's not your responsability by any means to help him out)

p3p7
none of your earlier picks were that lucky, this one is, considering how you've consistantly refused to take fixing in this draft

p3p9
see above

p3p10
when I saw this pack I actually laughed irl, and people say playing on modo helps you get better.... this pick wouldn't happen at my fnm (it's def. correct for you, agents isn't that bad a card, it's like a better dreg reaver, which is a card I'm fine playing if my curve demands it)

p3p12
why should he have taken it....?

I apologise for what comes across as quite a harsh critique of your draft, but I disagree with so much of your logic for your picks, and the cards you were considering, in spite of how good your deck ended up. This won't happen every time.

Some pointers for the future:
1) HAVE A PLAN. I know I keep saying it, but you want to have a consistant plan when you are drafting, know what your deck is missing, know what fills in the gaps, don't be afraid to take cards like coma veil, dreg reaver, spell snip, obelisks in your aggro deck, etc. Don't pass a mycoloth because you're afraid of a splash due to limited fixing, then take a jund battlemage 2 picks later because it's a powerful card. Don't ignore the fact that you have 2 knight of the skyward eyes, and are thus likely to splash at least one forest in your later picks.

2) TAKE FIXING. Creatures are important, but in a format where you are consistantly 3 colours, having a 6/6/5 mana base is going to cost you more games than having to play suboptimal creatures. A dreg reaver is only a 4/3 for 5, a carrion thrash is only better if you can get the mana in time.

3) KNOW WHAT YOUR DECKS STRATEGY IS. To be fair, you're ok on this point. There were several times later on you could have taken more expensive cards, but realised that you already had the top end of your curve sorted. p2p12 where you took reaver over cancel was a good indication that you at least have this point sorted out.

Hope that was useful.

dv8r
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dv8r. Looked through the draft earlier, and it is just all over the place. Couldn't be bothered to write that though. Dv8r is right on all the points.

Dv8r: "No mention of Cancel here? The card is very solid, and probably better than cancel" <- Should be charm. And I'd pick Charm out of the two, cancel will probably table.
dv8r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cancel won't table on a good table (11th pick? :S), and yes, I meant charm
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dv8rs advice is good, I should know ive took enough of it, thanks for that dv8r:P
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1