Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Player

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tournament magic got 60 cards, while casual and limited magic has 40. I don't know if the preconstructed decks got 40 or 60. In any case, your deck seems ok for a devour deck, but I can tell you straight away that Devour isn't a very good mechanic and there are better things to do with tokens.
bosty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mana ramp type of deck may just emerge from the list you have there. Since I see you've already dipped into blocks other than Shards of Alara I imagine you want a type 2 deck (made up of cards in the last 2 blocks and 1 core set). Without jumping the gun pricewise, you could add Fertile Ground and/or Rampant Growth and some fatties such as Cloudthresher or Broodmate Dragon. Some removal is also needed and you can add Terror, while relying on the upcoming reprint of Terminate that should help the archetype.
IvanDano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that a Jund Ramp deck would work in your benefit. Since you already chose these colors and the spoilers on Terminate, you can already set yourself up for a pretty devistating deck by adding the Thresher/Dragon to the mix and add some Garruk along with the rest you may need for it.

On the other hand, there is a post for a devour deck if your interested in running that Predator Dragon and you could work with that.

Either way have fun with it and use what you have to make the best deck for you!
Zoom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a comment related to your deck, just for new players in general. I recommend drafting or sealed for new players. It gives you a chance to build your collection, while learning to play with a wider variety of cards and situations. Limited play will help you learn the current sets faster, making it easier for you to remember cards when you go to build a constructed format deck. You're probably not going to win drafts at first, so I recommend drafting rares and uncommons more than you would if your only focus is winning. This will help you get tradeable cards.

Oh, and one other thing. Go ahead and buy some protective sleeves for your cards. You don't need them for all your cards, but you need enough for a couple of decks. A lot of new players beat the heck out of their first couple of decks, and then regret it when their good cards aren't tradeable when they want to try for a different deck.

Good luck man.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitterblossom is quite expensive yes, as it is the best card in Standard. But Sarkhan Vol shouldn't be too expensive as it isn't played in any of the top decks. It is great with Scarland Thrinax/Nantuko Husk.

Torrent of Souls returns your Siege-Gang Commander, Marsh Flitter or Sprouting Thrinax from graveyard to play giving it (not the tokens it puts in play) haste and +2/+0 along with the rest of your creatures. If you have 2-3 tokens in play at that time, such an attack is very devastating. It is a very good card in such a deck.

Yes Hunting Triad is uncommon and fits the deck. The reinforce could actually be quite nice too in a pinch.

Painlands are the 10E "duals" that lets you get one of two colours but costs you one life. Like Sulfurous Springs and Karplusan Forest.

Filter lands are the Shadowmoor/Eventide "duals" that lets you filter either one of two colours into any combination of the two colours. Like Graven Cairns and Twilight Mire.

Cipt= comes into play tapped. Like the Vivid lands and Crumbling Necropolis.
matthew34516

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: voracious dragon + Goblins +Boggart shenanigans = FUN Reply with quote

Me and a buddy tweeked his jund deck. We threw in a bunch of goblins. We threw in I think like a playset of siege gang commanders and mogg frantics and mudbutton torch runners. Anyway then you also put in four boggart shenanigans. That is some fun. When Voracious Dragon comes into play, it deals damage to target creature or player equal to twice the number of Goblins it devoured plus Whenever another Goblin you control is put into a graveyard from play, you may have Boggart Shenanigans deal 1 damage to target player. That is three damage for each goblin you have to admit that is just brutal
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: voracious dragon + Goblins +Boggart shenanigans = FUN Reply with quote

matthew34516 wrote:
Me and a buddy tweeked his jund deck. We threw in a bunch of goblins. We threw in I think like a playset of siege gang commanders and mogg frantics and mudbutton torch runners. Anyway then you also put in four boggart shenanigans. That is some fun. When Voracious Dragon comes into play, it deals damage to target creature or player equal to twice the number of Goblins it devoured plus Whenever another Goblin you control is put into a graveyard from play, you may have Boggart Shenanigans deal 1 damage to target player. That is three damage for each goblin you have to admit that is just brutal

And it requires your deck to have a lot of goblins in play (which means you are probably winning), a Boggart Shenanigans and a Voracious Dragon.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1