Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MYOS Dragonstorm

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: MYOS Dragonstorm Reply with quote

I can't but help to think the Invitationals-list is crap. It doesn't play any control-elements and lacks Gigadrowse so it's utterly helpless against any semi-decent control-decks. Further, it also plays Lotus Bloom, which signifies when you're trying to go off making it extremely easy for a controlling opponent to prepare. With that in mind, I thought up a more controlling list:

// Lands
2 [TSP] Molten Slagheap
4 [IA] Underground River
3 [FUT] River of Tears
1 [TSP] Mountain (4)
2 [TSP] Island (1)
1 [TSP] Swamp (2)
4 [9E] Shivan Reef
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
4 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
1 [FUT] Tarox Bladewing

// Spells
4 [A] Dark Ritual
4 [IA] Brainstorm
4 [CS] Rite of Flame
4 [IA] Counterspell
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [IA] Portent
4 [AL] Lim-Dul's Vault
4 [TSB] Dragonstorm
2 [9E] Seething Song

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [IA] Pyroblast
SB: 4 [FUT] Pact of Negation
SB: 3 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
SB: 4 [IA] Hydroblast

The landcount is a bit low even with all the manipulation (Portent is obviously stellar - Sleight of Hand could potentially be added, but so far I've to see it be anywhere near as good as Portent), but thanks to Lim-Dul's Vault, the cutting of accelerants hasn't significantly impacted the deck's ability to go off. Force of Will and Counterspell give the deck some very welcome ability to impact what the opponent is doing and an easy way of protecting the combo when going off. Sideboarded Pacts of Negation and Pyroblasts compound that, although I can't help but think Defense Grid should be added against blue decks.

Warrens are obvious against counter-based decks unable to deal with a Horde of Joblins, especially turns 1-3, and Hydroblasts make racing all the dumb aggressive red (not least of which being Goblins and Lackey) that much easier.

So, any bright ideas as to how to improve the consistency and control match?
mroche

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am pretty sure gaddock teeg owns ur life.

u need repeal or bounce or something.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol repeal vs gaddock teeg lol. you can just counter teeg or hardcast a hellkite
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Teeg dies to Bogardan Hellkite. It only shuts down Dragonstorm itself. Also, it's fully counterable. I really am not worried about Doran; the deck is fairly crappy with no really broken plays and a light disruption suite. Brainstorm alone means the discard is highly ineffective. You do accidentially bring up a relevant point though; there may be a call for anti-Discard effects on the sideboard as Brainstorm is only a 4-of and only maintains quality, not actual cardvantage. Any ideas on that front? Ancestral Visions?

Repeal has two problems: It doesn't work vs. Teeg and it isn't in the sets used.
Noname1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the runed halo are in the doran sideboard for a reason Razz
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 2-of, whoopedoo. Let's talk about difficult match-ups instead. May be the SB should contain some bounce though; Wipe Away seems fairly solid against permanent disruption effects, although 1U/2U would be better against Dragon Stompy's Blood Moon + Chalice package. Venser's Diffusion is an option in that regard. I don't think any blue deck in the format packs relevant permanent-based disruption, so Split Second seems rather trivial.

What I'm more interested about though is if anyone can think of some anti-discard measures that could be added to the SB? I mean, Portent, Lim-Dul's Vault and Brainstorm can all hide business on top of library, but that still means an accelerant or a counter is going to be gone. Something like Disrupt would be nice... I'm looking at Mystic Remora, Wheel of Fate and Ancestral Visions right now.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vision are what you want. I ran vision in the board of my Heartbeat deck last extended season and they were great.
toor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the suspend wheel of fortune could be good.
curly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need etter alternate dragon... as tarox only swings for 4 which isent a kill if you drew a hell kite
then you lose.
Middleman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curly wrote:
you need etter alternate dragon... as tarox only swings for 4 which isent a kill if you drew a hell kite
then you lose.

This is MYOS, what should he use, Nicol Bolas? And if you'd ever played against dragonstorm you would know it can win just fine with a storm of just 2 or 3. 2-3 flying 5/5s kill pretty quick.....
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/3 isn't really that much of a problem, since between pains, shocklands and fetches, most decks deal 1 to themselves. Also, Brainstorm solves.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1