Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GDW

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jimmyto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: GDW Reply with quote

EDIT: Suggestions.
Added
Substracted

Just came back to magic a few weeks ago and I am currently testing this one.
Wanted to try a mono-green cheap aggroies : ) remembering a time when they were actually competent. Creatures of the latest block somehow make up for it. (gaea's cradle meh misses you Sad )

Main:

17 Forest +1
4 Treetop Village 4 Mutavault
1 Llanowar Reborn -1

4 LLanowar Elves
4 Twinblade Slasher
4 Tattermunge Maniac -2
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Bramblewood Paragon
4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 Talara's Battalion

2 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Obsidian Battle-Axe

4 Giant Growth
2 Snakeform

Sideboard:

4 Raking Canopy
3 Vexing Shusher
3 Naturalize
1 Snakeform
4 Imperious perfect (happened to need em against merfolks and maybe kithkins)

Didn't include pre 10th cards just to start fresh for upcoming t2. Currently In the process of getting familiar to new gameplay so any criticism on what to add/substract ,and, even a nice "f*** ya" will be very much appreciated.

Has done good so far against UB , GB and fairly decent against the massive ammount of RDW, tho I havent played it much.

What is else is there to explain??? it's just a simple rush the hell out yourself deck.

Last edited by Jimmyto on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:47 am; edited 13 times in total
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your curve is too tight for cip tapped lands. Run only Forests and a couple of Pendelhavens. Test out Mutavault to see if you can run it. It is a very strong card, but very expensive.

The thing with Obsidian Battle-Axe is that it is actually quite slow. Unless you get a Llanowar Elves-start it isn't good at all in your deck. Groundbreaker would be better in its place (but then you can't play Mutavault).

Overrun is better in the Snakeform slot.
jdf121

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you need the snakeforms to take care of anything worrysome that steps in.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to know why you are not running Imperious Perfect? I think that you need to make a few changes to make it better and keep it BOAB.

-4 Talara's Battalion
-4 Tattermunge Maniac
-2 Snakeform
-1 Battle-Axe

+4 Imperious Perfect
+3 Serrated Arrows (think persist, Fae, and Merfolk)
+2 Boreal Druid
+2 Overrun or Squal Line
Jimmyto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Vedrfolner:

Yah, didn't want to include pre 10th cards, so no pendellhaven Razz

You are right about the tight curve in contrast with cip tapped lands, I could remove llanowar reborn for another forest, but treetops village are just too good for a monogreen aggro when you run out of gas and wanna finish the job.
Mutavaults could seem like a great card for this type of deck, but the 1 color drops at the beggining are too important to have a mutavault that may deny you 1 creature more in the first turns.

Now Battle-Axe is although somehow expensive, really usefull to enter and hit...and I have found it really usefull to be on an aggresive dominating positions at all times, also when your opponent is controlling the table sudden attacks can come in handy since as you can see all creatures (but llanowar) are warriors.
If the games goes long enough..the bunch of 2/2 drops come to the game without too much of an impact, Battle-axe really makes out for it.

Will try overrun in main.

@R3wind:

Imperious have been roaming my mind for this build, I have found that 3 drop and easily killable creature to work in specified circumstances. The creature types and ability are excelent for the deck but i just can't rely on a situational card that ups the mana curve of the deck. In other words, Imp perfect is way to susceptible for the turns it gets in (3 n so) and (if got a 1rst turn llanowar) would prefer to expend second turn play on crowding the table or paragon + 1 mana drop, or, putting in a bigger creature like talara's batallion.
Elfs get killed too much to be relying on a "build yourself up" strategy. I personally prefer to rush it.

Again not playing pre 10th cards Smile and yes I think I m gonna try overrun in main.

Thank you both.

PD: *wonders*
Imperious, Imperious, Imperious...hmmmmm
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the +1/+1 that matters with Imperious Perfect, not the other ability. However, said ability is fantastic with Obsidian Battle-Axe...
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any deck with weenies like that needs anthems
badasssmurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendelhaven was reprinted in time spiral so its T2 legal. also, the whole "crowding the table" idea is pretty bad considering multiple decks run firespout, whick kill every creature in your deck. putting pressure on is a good thing, but getting yourself 4- for-1ed or worse is never good.
andyburn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the time any player could play firespout this deck have damaged him or her a lot and since this deck have obsidian battle axe any creature you draw becomes a living treath that with just a few life points will be hard to control giving time to this deck to draw more creatures...I really like it...and I think it's better the snakeform tahn the overrun (surprising demigod)...nice deck
Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manabase should be something like

16 Forest
2 Pendelhaven (they are T2)
4 Mutavault (running them is np at all, since your 2-drops only cost 1g, and playing 18 green sources is enough for your green 1-drops)

Mutavaults are faster then treetops, and you dont want your lands to enter play tabbed in this kind of deck.

I like the battle axe, auto-equip that gives haste is good, and together with the paragon most of your guys can survive firesprout!

A card to consider (especially over overrun) is Garruk Wildspeaker. If you just came back after a long break I suggest you learn what a planeswalker can do - this card was made for decks like this one. Sets up turn 4 kills with his overrun-ability, works great with talaras battalion thanks to untap, and helps creating a new army when you ran out of gas with the beasttokens.
Jimmyto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just didn't want to include any pre 10th as I believe is late for me to start building a T2 deck now that some expansions are going out.
I am , hereby, focusing in the upcoming type 2 : P

Ok so, as for mutavaults vs treetops , I couldn't agree more.
mana efficiently mut > tree. I just hope i can get my hands on em :/

Editing....

Now about Garruk.
I was reluctant at first about it knowing how I wanted to play the deck, but yah ..sometimes i just wish I had it.
It's versatility comes in handy.

Editing....

Thanks.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still almost 3 months left of this Standard, and when the new set comes, the meta will change. In other words, use Time Spiral cards, then swap them with something else when they rotate. Making a deck for a non-existing format is just a waste of time... what on earth will testing show you? It is 3 months until playing the deck reveals any relevant information whatsoever!

If you don't want to buy/trade for Time Spiral cards, get into LW block.
Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, mutavault will probably not lose much of its value. Not enterily sure about Garruk, but I expect both cards to remain rather hot.
Jimmyto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated:

Main:

18 Forest
2 Mutavault

4 LLanowar Elves
4 Twinblade Slasher
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Bramblewood Paragon
4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 Talara's Battalion

2 Giantbaiting

2 Obsidian Battle-Axe

4 Giant Growth
4 Manamorphose
4 Snakeform

Sideboard:

3 Raking Canopy
3 Vexing Susher or Guttural Response
3 Naturalize
4 Imperious perfect
2 Garruk or Masked Admirers

Did I screw up again? : P
I just don't like to play Garruk nor Imp perfect in main.

As i see it, it's an aggro rush deck that can become a common elves deck once sbed. (if situation deserves it)
andyburn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing a deck like this with very good results but i never thought about snake form nor giant baiting and i think they're pretty good on this kind of deck since they give it the surprise factor...I really like this deck, gonna try giant baiting in mine
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2