Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meta game. What can i play??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
elfo1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Meta game. What can i play?? Reply with quote

The nationals are at the door.

What deck can i play??

Meta game is composed by:

Faries: 32%
Elfes: 27%
Merfolk: 20%
RDW: 10%
Reweillark: 10%
Other: 1%

What is the best deck to play agains this meta??
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run 4 Terror main and 4 Dragon's Claw/Bottle Gnomes side in your faerie deck and go with that.
kazediel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Meta game. What can i play?? Reply with quote

elfo1 wrote:
The nationals are at the door.

What deck can i play??

Meta game is composed by:

Faries: 32%
Elfes: 27%
Merfolk: 20%
RDW: 10%
Reweillark: 10%
Other: 1%

What is the best deck to play agains this meta??

With high faerie-merfolks meta I'd play WW. You have some goods WWs here in ml
Alex_Storch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your metagame seems well defined. Only one percent others!;-)

I´d probably choose the RB Token Deck! It does not only have good to very good MU´s vs. Faeries, Merrow and Elves but there is also the possibility to evolve and tune the deck in the direction you want. Sideboardoptions vs. Reveillark are also available.

WW (before EVE, not mentioned it since Release) does not have really good MU´s vs. Faeries and Merrow as one would expect in my eyes. And the MU vs. Elves is really bad =(

The other way to go might be to choose the deck out of Merrows-Faeries-Elves yourself. Then take the deck out of this you can play best and got used to most. But you often would have to play against these 3 decks (of course) and all MU´s are close, so skill AND luck will play big role then...

Summary: RB Tokens ftw. :P
Bigshow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANA RAMP!! You're faeries game is 50/50 everything else is utterly in your favor
cheesypirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
MANA RAMP!! You're faeries game is 50/50 everything else is utterly in your favor

ya, except merfolk dominates mana ramp
Bigshow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheesypirate wrote:
BigShow wrote:

how is that? sygg? you have mouth of ronom. Forge tender? same deal if not they play sulfur elemental in the sb. So rethink your post please.
cheesypirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
cheesypirate wrote:
BigShow wrote:

how is that? sygg? you have mouth of ronom. Forge tender? same deal if not they play sulfur elemental in the sb. So rethink your post please.

ok, this is coming from someone that is prob speculating on the mu. i dont need to rethink my post, ive tested the matchup

you are much faster than they are. cloudthresher? who cares, it doesn't kill any of your dudes. wall of roots? either attack with more creatures than they have wall of roots, or tap him w/ reejery, or give your guys islandwalk. they only uncounterable way they can kill your lords is mouth of ronom, which basically means they tap out to kill 1 guy. mana ramp is soo much slower. it's like faeries, but faster, and less suseptable to things like thresher

rethink your post, please
Alex_Storch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mana Ramp wouldn´t be great choice though in my eyes. Reveillark is nearly an autoloss w/o a very strong sideboard tech, which would surely take too many slots in side.

Faeries 50/50? I don´t think so, it´s more in Fae´s favor.

Merrows seems to be a really bad MU for Ramp; Jan Ruess, the PT Merrow player, postet in an article that the MU for Merrows was 6-1 in testing :P Even if that is an overstatement, I think in principle it´s right. And killing Sygg or Tender with Mouth is not very realistic in my eyes, cause they cost 1 or 2 mana, while activation of Mouth costs 6 - in this time the merrows will kill the Ramp player?!
SOAD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WW/ Kithkin have really started to start seeing competitive play. 1st and 2nd at our fnm were kithkin and its starting to show up in qualifiers.

That figure of destiny is a nice addition to any kithkin deck

This is for T2, I'd rather play Elves or R/B Tokens.

With elves the MU's vs faeries is quite ez and vs merfolks it depends on how aggro they go.
obv autoloose to Reveilark with sb it becomes even.

whetever. Wink Rolling Eyes
elfo1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about rdw?

VS faery runs good

vs merfolk good

vs elfes. depends.

reweillark I don't know.
smiley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_Storch Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mana Ramp wouldn´t be great choice though in my eyes. Reveillark is nearly an autoloss w/o a very strong sideboard tech, which would surely take too many slots in side.

Faeries 50/50? I don´t think so, it´s more in Fae´s favor.

Merrows seems to be a really bad MU for Ramp; Jan Ruess, the PT Merrow player, postet in an article that the MU for Merrows was 6-1 in testing Razz Even if that is an overstatement, I think in principle it´s right. And killing Sygg or Tender with Mouth is not very realistic in my eyes, cause they cost 1 or 2 mana, while activation of Mouth costs 6 - in this time the merrows will kill the Ramp player?!
------------------------------------------------------

Biggest load of crap I've read in a long time
I checked up the article from Ruess and this is what he had to say about it (for those of you interested http://www.planetmtg.de/articles/artikel.html?id=3978):

"Ein weiterer Vorteil des Merfolk-Decks ist sein gutes Matchup gegen Reveillark. Bei der von uns benutzten Reveillark-Version kann man sogar von über 70% für Merfolk ausgehen. Bei unserem Testen hat das Reveillark-Deck kaum mal ein Spiel gegen Merfolk gewonnen.

Wo es Vorteile gibt, gibt es natürlich auch immer Nachteile. Hier ist unter anderem das Matchup gegen Mana Ramp zu nennen. Die Counter waren hier ziemlich schlecht, da Mana Ramp meistens genug Mana produzieren konnte, um sie zu bezahlen, die Lords wurden meistens von Instant-Spotremoval getroffen, ganz zu schweigen von Firespout. So wurden die Spiele immer ziemlich in die Länge gezogen, bis irgendwann ein Siege-Gang Commander resolvete, der dann kurzen Prozess machte. Ohne Cryptic Command, um alle Blocker zu tappen, konnte Merfolk gar nicht gewinnen."

Translated into English:

"A further advantage of the Merfolk deck is its good Matchup against Reveillark. With the Reveillark version used by us one can assume the matchup is 70% for Merfolk. In our testing the Reveillark deck hardly ever won against Merfolk. Where there are advantages, there are naturally also always disadvantages. Here among others is the Matchup against Mana Ramp. The Counters were rather bad, since Mana Ramp could mostly produce enough Mana, in order to pay them, the lords generally got hit by Spotremoval, on top of which there's Firespout. Thus the games were always drawn out, until a Siege-gang commander resolved, which ended the games shortly after it's arrival. Without Cryptic COMMAND, in order to tap all blockers, Merfolk could not win at all."

Ruess actually points out that the MU is NOT in favour of merfolk, so where you get 6-1 for merfolk is beyond me. On top of that, here's an article from Marijn Lybaert (pro you made top8 in hollywood playing mana ramp):

http://www.mtgbelgium.be/Site/Report%20Constructed/Constructed%20PT/PTHollywood.html

This article gives you the ins and outs how to play Mana Ramp, how to SB in the various MU and which are the good/bad MU (bad MUs do NOT include merfolk!!)

To reply to the original question:

If Reveillark is only 10% of the field, Mana Ramp is a fine choice (the version from Lybaert), bad MU are Reveillark, Storm and Swans (which is unwinnable preboard).
However, asides from that, the Swans-deck is really good, it only has a unfavourable pre-board game against faeries (although it's not unwinnable) but after SB is very winnable.
Other than that, you may consider playing Quick n' toast, as it seems to be a very strong control deck with the ability to be tuned according to your metagame

Hope this helps
canibal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best deck is some home made anti aggro.
If you can think of control...Very anti creature control than you are a winner. You take reveilark w sb.
Controls are now too not popular. With one you can really dominate meta.
I have one home made deck and I tested it and works PERFECTLY. Its fresh so...
I think UW control has chances. You kill elves and merfolks with moat.
faeries are bit harder but condemn and counterspells combined with WOGS are awsome.
I think everyody should think about that.

Well RB tokens are also really good. Tested a bit and they are cool.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faeries will own any UW control list its just not possible to make a uw list that has game vs faeries and is good vs anything else.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be a very spell-based control deck. At least 15 powerful threats in there, 2-3 of which must be Crovax, and 2-3 Teferi. Sacred Mesa resolved can be good. Celestial Crusaders as well. Aven Riftwatcher, Kitchen Finks. Ancestral Vision, Prismatic Lens, Condemn, Wrath, Unmake, Venser. Rune Snag, Cryptic Command.

Yeah. Can be done. Fae matchup still pretty hard, though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2