Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marijn's Mana Ramp list from StarcityGames

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
snoopster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ggerg wrote:
yup. if i had premium there i'd be fine with posting lists for people. it's not like it affects anyone negatively at all.

...except starcitygames...
Ggerg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...u can think it affects star city, but really, the people asking for the lists aren't ever going to subscribe anyway.

just for the record, i used to have a subscription, but let it drop a while back as i was pretty unimpressed with the benefits.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you guys who think posting a "Premium" decklist is stealing or something. Give me a break, you can't copyright a decklist, sorry. If someone posted the entire article it would be different.
Balthazar88
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Truth-: Thank you very much for posting the list.

Well normaly they do post the lists on deckcheck.net so this situation normaly never comes up. So sorry I some one got "offended" by this request.

I will get premium on SCG sooner or later, just haven't got time to fix it due to these long proceedurs for paying if you don't live in the US.
Orlandu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Hrm Reply with quote

Just seems like if you value the decklist info, it costs almost nothing to get a subscription so..
IgnisFatuus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
i didnt get frustrated but why lie about stuff when u can just ask can someone post a list, ive asked for a list and someone posted it but why make something up. people should just skip 1 ptq a year and get premium

Some people live in places that only have one PTQ each season. But those people should just get jobs... That's what I did.
snoopster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NahHolmes wrote:
It's funny you guys who think posting a "Premium" decklist is stealing or something. Give me a break, you can't copyright a decklist, sorry. If someone posted the entire article it would be different.

Well, legally it is definitely considered stealing. You may think that it's morally okay to take information out of an article limited to people who pay for it and show it to somebody, but the law begs to differ.
IgnisFatuus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopster wrote:
NahHolmes wrote:

Well, legally it is definitely considered stealing. You may think that it's morally okay to take information out of an article limited to people who pay for it and show it to somebody, but the law begs to differ.

Just so everyone is clear, posting a premium decklist on M-L is not a violation of copyright law because the poster does not stand to make money by using the material.

I am sure, though, that StarCity maintains legal ownership over the contents of its site, including non-premium articles. That does not, however, mean that a person is not allowed to reference or quote the article (and the decklists therein). Also, people are free to share the content with friends, etc. Think of it this way: if you buy a book or a magazine, you are free to lend it to your friends. You just can't start making photocopies and selling them.

EDIT: The stuff is copyrighted. StarCity got all corporate with their website. A lot of sites are not copyrigted. If you look at the fine text at the bottom of StarCity pages, you sill see "All content on this page (c) 2008 StarCityGames and may not be reproduced whole without consent. " So you can share it (ie. let other people see it on your account), but you cannot reproduce the whole thing.
x1134x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopster wrote:

LMFAO, Snoopster, google "fair use" and the Copyright Act of 1976

"the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

I love it when nincompoops talk out their arse like they "know".
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edge of autumn is a leak i didnt mean to splurge but the next standard events involve no time spiral.

apart from edge being as good as the other ramp cards... it also bites some people in the face. namely aquitects will. you can blow the island to counter their draw or wait until u bust their islandwalk team wide open.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
edge of autumn is a leak i didnt mean to splurge but the next standard events involve no time spiral.

apart from edge being as good as the other ramp cards... it also bites some people in the face. namely aquitects will. you can blow the island to counter their draw or wait until u bust their islandwalk team wide open.

most nats do use time spiral
snoopster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x1134x wrote:
snoopster wrote:

"the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

The Copyright Act of 1976 does not apply to the internet. I'm not making this up; this is what starcitygames.com people told me.
snoopster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skilla420 wrote:
snoopster wrote:
x1134x wrote:
snoopster wrote:

The Copyright Act of 1976 does not apply to the internet. I'm not making this up; this is what starcitygames.com people told me.

Did you really go and tell on him?
People download and pirate more and worse things than magic decklists, and we all know that. The dude just wanted a helping hand, and we gave him one.
Plus, are you really going to believe the STG people who probably have a biased opinion to begin with? Of course they'll say that if it means that you'll buy their membership.

This issue has come up before, so I'm just reiterating what I heard months ago. I'm pretty impartial on the matter, but I'm just sayin' what SCG said.

I know people pirate more and worse things on the internet, but that doesn't make it right. The fact that people steal millions of dollars from banks doesn't make it okay to steal five dollars. The "helping hand" argument also contain fallacious logic; my friend wants an ice cream bar that is only sold at an ice cream stand, and he doesn't want to buy it. Is it okay to steal it for him?

With that said, if it's legal, great. I couldn't care less. But if it is indeed illegal like I have heard, then it obviously wouldn't be right to post the list.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3