Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragonstorm

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how has it been around since the beginning of magic? you cast ritual cards like rite of flame and seething song to get mana and get the storm count up then play dragonstorm for 4 hellkites. you cant counter storm copies you have to have a counterspell for each copy
kfcman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. First off, the deck does not go off on turn 9. It uses "rituals" (defined as spells that make mana at a profit such as rite of flame and more recently manamorphose. The profit in manamorphose's case is drawing the extra card, but not actually turning a profit mana wise) to accerelate and play D-storm earlier than that. These rituals also pump the storm count. The deck beats counters because if they counterspell your D-storm, you still get all of its storm copies onto the stack so they have only countered 1 copy so you will most likely have 2 or 3 more on the stack waiting to resolve.

Decklists of late have been of the Gassy Knoll deck variety made by Patrick Chapin, Gabriel Nassif and Mark Herberholz for Worlds '07.

4 Lotus Bloom
4 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Pyromancer's Swath
3 Incinerate
4 Shock
4 Dragonstorm
4 Grapeshot
4 Rift Bolt
4 Rite of Flame
3 Tarfire
11 Snow-Covered Mountain
4 Fungal Reaches
4 Molten Slagheap
1 Saltcrusted Steppe
4 Spinerock Knoll

Sideboard:
4 Howling Mine
3 Pyrohemia
4 Sulfurous Blast
4 Ignite Memories

That list is the one used at Worlds '07.

However, i would suggest going to deckcheck.net going to the standard section and perusing the different storm decks. Many of the new versions do not use Dragonstorm and go for just the Pyromancer's Swath + Grapeshot or Ignite Memories win. Using rite of flame and manamorphose + cheap burn spells + spinerock knoll to win.

It's a fun deck to play, have fun tinkering.

coolcreep: I rofl'd too, for about five minutes, before i could write this post.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dragonstorm Reply with quote

skilla420 wrote:
I know that dragonstorm has been around basically since the beginning of magic, but I was curious to know what a good one would look like in standard format.
So far, I know it consists of a combo with dragonstorm and the hellkite, but's thats really it. What else would be in it? What do you do the first 9 turns? How doesn't dragonstorm deal with counters?

There was one I heard of at my local FNM that everyone feared, but I was never able to see it in action.

funny

Instead of posting stuff like this, google for "dragonstorm combo", "ur dragonstorm", "swath storm" or something like that, and see what the deck actually is. A lot less trouble and you don't make a fool out of yourself in public - joke post or not.
PsyK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol i remember when people first started talking about d-storm deck on the m-l irc, so many people were like "that deck sucks so much, play a real deck like solar flare"

PS the original dstorm deck was actually a blue deck that splashed red (and black sometimes) because to go off you only ever needed 1 red to start rituals, but to guarantee you get combo off you needed a lot of blue.
Talroma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i remember this deck. never really had a problem against it in the past and i doubt it could be competetive right now with the lack of blue. you could throw it in the swath deck but i dont find it will add anything to the deck. it may even make it less consistent.
Malice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Dragonstorm at regionals yesterday and missed top 8 by 1 win in the last round of swiss. I was 6-1 and a draw wouldnt have done it. The deck is hands down the most underrated deck in the format. I beat: GW Aggro, Faeries, Reveilark, MBC, some GWB aggro control deck and a mana ramp. I lost to merfolk over a bad draws and lost last round to a mono green elves that drew god hands both games. I used the list kyle sanchez made for Star city.
kfcman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skilla420 wrote:
was your deck similar to the one kfc man suggested, or better?

The decklist i showed was merely an example list. Go to deckcheck.net and look for updated versions with manamorphose and such.

Also, the point of snow-lands, is, none at all.
Orlandu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

You doubt it could be competitive without blue? Er you do realize that I think it was Finkel, Nassif, and Chapin being the only three playing it at worlds, and Nassif and Chapin both semifinals, with chapin ending up 2nd. It's not a bad deck.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storm combo decks punishes those decks who are not prepared for it, so as long as it is not "the best deck in the format" and it sneaks up from behind, it will do okay.
Madchal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonstorm does suck, as does the new Knollstorm using Grapeshot, the reason it did well is because it was a deck that is explosive and NOBODY was ready for it, except the guy who one. He happened to have Riftsweepers and Pithing needles in the board, whoddathunk. Anyway It's easy to beat the Knoll version, you pithing needle Knoll or Trickbind the ability or riftsweeper the rift bolt. O..and you can out race them while they play nothing building their counters on storage lands, or you can combo before them. And with the Swath/grapeshot deck you can still race and you can always counter swath..cause he ain't storm counting for 20..or even 13. And Trickbind still works. So ya, Knollstorm will forever be a deck that you play and pray that they are slow and have no answers. I will give it that it beats Doran, Rock varients, and B/G elves unless they have Pithing Needle and try to beat you down a little quicker. The reason the Dstorm with rav in it was so good was seething song(to ramp),gigadrowse(to tap them out) and Grozoth (to fetch DStorm)

Again, the best deck is not always the deck that wins tournaments. The best deck for THAT tournaments meta. If decks pack hate or can race them, It's not gonna win.
Madchal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skilla420 wrote:
did you miss the part where almost every deck runs a form of artifact removal in sideboard? And people don't always get pithing needle right away since it's mainly a one or 2 of in a deck assuming its mainboarded.

Before you make a statement, make sure you are right. Only 3 of the last 10 knollstorm/D-storm list on Deckcheck runs artifact removal in the SB(1 of which was running Naturalize and only had Fungal Reachs to produce green and the chances of drawing 1 of 2 naturalizes and 1 of 4 Fungal Reachs are slim), and those guys all top 8ed and the tournament the were in, and I'm assuming you didn't since Storm has not won a regionals in the States. And Pithing Needle would definently be only after Sideboard, but thats enough. My point is the deck is easy enough to race and/or disrupt regardless of what you are playing. RDW, Project 420.5n, Swans, B/R Tokens/Aggro, Predator, Elves(especially ElfBall) and Merfolk all can out race you. Faeries, Lark, U/G Aggro, Quick n' Toast, R/G Land D, Martyr, and Possibly Turbofog can all disrupt/make you deviate from the storm plan. Snow White also has a damn good chance due to Martyr of the Sands and recurring said Martyr. You guys don't go off until turn 5 at best, rune snag and Cryptic command on the same attempt to go off ruin you. Sage's Dousing with Banneret's in play tear you up. There is a lot that really rocks you and the only way you can win is via Storm Combo and maybe..if the deck your playing against is running uber slow, you can hardcast a Hellkite. But still. Dstorm is bad. You lose to the entire format. And all that was pre-boarding in the pithing needle.

Also, Ignite Memories isn't really for card draw hate, it is actually more for the mirror or other stuff that has big mana cards, such as Lark. The problem with using burn is that you need it to go off. You NEED to deal seven damage.and you also are trying to put storage counters on Reachs and Slagheap each turn, so you don't want to go a turn with out doing that because you need to burn a guy. Only reason you should use a burn spell before going off is to kill something that could really really really wreck you by it self. or in a couple turns (Doran, Chameleon Colossus).
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonstorm without blue will, of course, be less consistent as it won't be able to dig for the combo pieces.

Swath Storm needs Swath, but can often burn ftw without it. Of course, even one burn spell not aimed at his face can be the same as game loss. Therefore, maybe rdw is just better.
Madchal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people who run pithing needle run 4.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2