Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zur the Enchanter will pull a sneak attack at regionials.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Hank333

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Zur the Enchanter will pull a sneak attack at regionials. Reply with quote

beware of the Zur the Enchanter deck. Its very good. I don't know the exact decklist, but this is a list Kyle Sanchez made, i don't know the exact numbers but its most of the cards.

Zur the enchanter 4
mulldrifter 4
Revillark 3
Doran the Siege Tower 4
Wall of Roots 4
Birds of Paradise 4
Oblivion Ring 4
Steelhead of the gods 3
Knollspine invocation 1
Rune Snag 4
Thoughtsieze 4
21 lands

Its better then it looks on paper. The mana base was Vivid lands+non-basics. I don't remeber what it looked like, but it was messy. 21 lands enough? Also have SB options like Aura of Silence, Raking Canopy, Declaration of Naught, greater auramancy. You can also think of cards like keen sence and just about any "pasifisim" to function with Zur. Maybe Primal Command would be good?
kfcman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not on topic, but necessary comment

don't post lists like that.

post as such

4 Zur the Enchanter.

too difficult to read as the numbers are staggered off center. Also, makes it a chore to copy decks into MWS from this setup.

However, on topic, i'd say at least 23 land and drop doran. for realz
Talroma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea doran does seem a little out of place here. keep it more lark based. it seems at the very least it will be a fun and surprising deck to play with.

hope it works out for you
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck just seems to be a bad doran dekc and a bad lark deck combined with a bad card like zur to try and get bad enchantments in play. kyle sanchez doesnt make good decks his articles shouldnt be read for magic content, they are read to make you laugh
bl0t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
this deck just seems to be a bad doran dekc and a bad lark deck combined with a bad card like zur to try and get bad enchantments in play. kyle sanchez doesnt make good decks his articles shouldnt be read for magic content, they are read to make you laugh

Although he'd probably wreck you.
Orlandu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: hm Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this. The idea of Zur crashing in as a 3/6 Lifelinker seems solid, and it's not that easy to kill by commonly played black removal. Even so, it really seems like this deck wants either bitterblossoms, or more counters or something. I don't know..
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this deck really wants is being played ... in the kitchen table, as it isn't more than a rogue deck without real chances of winning anything big.
Mirage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build has proven very successful. In testing, I find that after I drop my fourth land, I'm yearning for the rest of my land to be Scrapbasket, so I take out 4 lands and put in a set of Scrapbasket. Scrapbasket believes in equivalence.
KeySam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage wrote:
This build has proven very successful. In testing, I find that after I drop my fourth land, I'm yearning for the rest of my land to be Scrapbasket, so I take out 4 lands and put in a set of Scrapbasket. Scrapbasket believes in equivalence.

Made my day.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need Doran. O-ring is a must have. Blossom would be good for sure.

**Here is a list of cards that would work ing the deck or in the sideboard as tutor targets.

Bitterblossom *
Daybreak Coronet (kinda nuts with Steel of the Godhead)
Everlasting Torment *
Freyalise's Radiance +
Oblivion Ring *
Opal Guardian +
Porphyry Nodes *
Runed Halo +
Raking Canopy *
Sacred Mesa *
Steel of the Godhead
Stormbind (good vs control decks)
Story Circle +
Wheel of Sun and Moon *

* cards that see major leauge play.
+ use only vs local meta if seems weak vs (card name)

**Edited to add content.
Orlandu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

While I don't actually have time at the moment so say why, that build is, frankly, terrible. Not trying to be a dick at all, sorry if it comes off as such. I'll make a larger post with reasons why when I get off work.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster listed a deck with good cards using Zur. The last decklist is a Zur deck. The difference is immense.

I agree that Sanchez' deck needs Bitterblossom. Doran is a strong beater and defender, though, and Zur has 4 in thoughness. I would use other enchantments than Steel of the Godhead, even though it makes Zur unblockable.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Steel of the Godhead and Daybreak would be good as one of for Zur. Anything off of the list of targets would be good cards for a deck like this. Blossom and O-Ring should be the backbone of the deck. Steel+Daybreak+Zur=win vs aggro.

I would also make a case for Augery Adept. Finkel would like a home also but I feel like both are a bit slow for the post-Shadowmoor standard meta. Nameless Inversion could be good as 2-4.

Like Ved said play a WUB control shell then add Zur and some of the best targets for the win.
Hank333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really want bitterblossom, it is too slow. You only would want it if you need a forcefield affect, you would never get it to try to win the game. Knollspine INvocation was very good i heard.
Distance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prismatic Ward seems really a good cantrip enchantment. I think thats what its called. The Time Spiral one. also I think you could try something using merieke re berit and 1000 year elixer as solid removal
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2