Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knollstorm : Critique + suggestions on!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
beanbungo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Knollstorm : Critique + suggestions on! Reply with quote

For regionals besides the deck being $300 cheaper than every other tier 1 deck in the format lol, it seems to have good matchups against most of the tier 1 decks in the meta right now, but of course struggles against the turn 1 thoughtseize turn 3 kitchen finks turn 4-5 primal command for another finks Sad but what doesnt lol...

4x Dragonstorm
4x Boggardon Hellkite
4x Grapeshot
4x Pyromancers Swath
4x Rite of Flame
1x Ignite Memories - probably going to cut in the end
1x Empty the warrens
4x Incinerate
4x Rift Bolt
2x Shard Volley - perfect number
2x Shock - perfect number
4x Lotus Bloom
4x Spinerock Knoll
4x Fungal Reaches
2x Molten Slagheap
8x Mountain
4x Karpluson Forest

SB:

4x Firespout
3x Faerie Macabre - an underrated card vs. Rev
3x Krosan Grip
4x 1cc Counter blue instant
1x Sulferous Blast

Suggestions and Reasoning:

1) Most storm decks that I have seen have been running Dodecapod in the sideboard, really good against Mind Shatter, however sub-optimum against thoughtseize because your at like an 80-85% chance they're going to pick something else unless they have to pick it, so I really don't see this card taking up 4x slots...

2) Faerie Macabre - Not a spell and it owns a sac'ing revillark, of course extirpate is 10x better but i only am running 2x Molten Slagheaps, could bump up the number to 4x and run 2x Karpluson 2x Sulferous Springs?? (comments please)

3) The krosan grip is for the annoying lil bitterblossom, rly good when they flash out the 4x clique and plan on getting rid of it to stabalize their life...

4) Firespout > Elves (notice i said elves & not goyf lol), > faeries if can cast, > Merfolk

5) 1cc instant counter blue instant > CC + Sages dousing n Rune snag, plus its a suprise

Please any suggestions would be awsome and comments, critique away!!
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering there was 0 on day 2 of the pt it doesnt seem to have a good matchup vs a few tier 1 decks.
cdubs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: too random Reply with quote

The random empty and ignite is pretty much useless. your not going to draw into them very consistantly. I think the deck should go into blue because of card draw, bounce, and early counters. I remember when the deck played early remand, why not rune snag. The combo takes a while to set up and vs. the control matchup its really hard hence the manamorphose. I just think that the deck runs out of gas too soon if you dont pull off a win. Needs card draw i think (ancestral, mulldrifter,careful,think,ponder) ancestral mainly for the combo out, since you draw four cards the turn you can go off giving you a better chance. Just a suggestion. Havent tested it with blue but i think its a possibility
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant rly play blue, all the card draws dont fit the curve well
PonzaFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this deck back and forth for some time now and I must say I don't know if it's worth it for dstorm realistically. And I love running blue so let me show you what I've got.
3 Reflecting Pool
4 Fungal Reaches
4 Shivan Reef
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Mountain
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Island
4 Ponder
3 Empty the Warrens
4 Pyromancer's Swath
4 Grapeshot
4 Rite of Flame
4 Lotus Bloom
4 Rift Bolt
3 Needle Drop
4 Manamorphose
2 Ancestral Vision
1 Ignite Memories
3 Shock

I've spent a long ass time testing that and tweaking as I see fit and it runs pretty smoothly. The single Ignite Memories is a must have and has even won me a few matches.(very good against primal command) I've got a couple visions there so I can either set up the turn 4 win or recover later on, it's pretty much been a must-counter when It hits or it's not easy for my opp to recover. Ponder = hot, nuff said. I still don't know how I feel about the mana base but in much testing I haven't really fell prey to color screw ever. Unless I double up counter lands then it just takes a while longer. Anyways if you took out the Dstorm and added blue I think this would be a better representation of the deck, what do you think?

PS - After extensive testing knockroll spine or whatever that land is, fails. I really can't find myself in many situations where it's useful and it has yet to win me a game. I would love to hear some defense on it's half though as it could potentially be a real ball breaking card.
beanbungo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well consideringI believe there were only like 3 knollstorms on day 1, its not suprising that it didnt make day 2...matchups are everything, obv. but i do like blue, however I think the dragonstorm is essential just because if they counter your enchantment, your basically just playing a burn deck, I think having the 1 empty of warrens is good, against elves to survive and merfolk if they dont have islandwalk as of yet, but the ignite is kind of random, could be good in the board i assume.

I dont see careful consideration being any good seeing that its double blue, however I was thinking if I did go blue, i would run 4x ponder and in the sideboard have 4x Pact of Negation, so this would be my blue list -

4x D-storm
4x Hellkite
3x Pyromancer swath
4x Grapeshot
4x Incinerate
2x Shard Volley
3x Rift Bolt
4x Ponder
1x Empty the Warrens
4x Rite of Flame
4x Lotus Bloom
4x Fungal Reaches
4x Dread Reef (black blue storage land)
4x Reflecting Pool
2x Shivan Reef
2x Karpluson Forest
7x Mountain

SB:

4x Pact of Negation
4x Firespout
1x Ignite Memories
4x Extirpate
2x Sulferous Blast
AOCharm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any red deck should consider Everlasting Torment

1 deals with life gain
2 stops 420.5n decks

in my RDW its got 3 SB slots
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1