Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono White Control

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think the Magus of the Tabernacle is that great at all, especially maindeck where it could be a dead card against some decks.

Angel's Grace... you never want to actually play that card. :/

Serra Avenger and Knight of the Holy Nimbus are more aggro-themed than control.

Pollen Lullaby and Dawn Charm... fog effects... they're not that great in my opinion.

Overall, I personally don't think the current white pool is strong enough for a decent control deck.

But, if you insist, I suggest using Horizon Canopies (and your Mind Stones) for at least a small amount of card draw, and find a better finisher. You're not gonna find any more mono-white split second cards. Razz
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A knight deck could be interesting... Very Happy
NO-NAME

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a M W-Aggro build a kithkin, for a W-control use sacred mesa. Cool
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for mono white aggro you should use kithkin, for mono white control you should be crazy :S

there are no cards to make this a strong deck in this meta...you can go GW (crovax, the SHM gaining life sorcery, primmal command, tresher, goyf, maybe some FOG effects, etc) or UW control (aeon, ajani, 12 counters, careful consideration, sower, and so on) and in both cases i believe that sacred mesa (or mobilization if you preffer it) are "a must" because it's am awsome card

or maybe going more creative and build a WB control with disruption, bitterblossom, life gaining (tendrils, corrupt with urborg) but i dont think any of those decks can be good (maybe the big mana GW can)
thranarama

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to avoid tribal when that is your best chance to build the deck you want? That's silly. Also, Kithkin has a pretty nice matchup vs. Faeries, which is NOT AN AGGRO DECK! Solid one drop + solid 2 drop is a fantastic start vs. them, and they have a hard time stabilizing unless they have a bitterblossom and removal to start. Not to mention you have the option of running Ronom Unicorn or Oblivion Ring as a non-kithkin answer to their best card vs. you. It's up to you, but I think that the best way to go into deckbuilding is to be openminded about where it will lead you.
Thorns

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adarkar Valyrie. People seem to forget that Coldsnap is still in Standard...

EDIT: Swans of Bryn Argoll fit two spots in the deck: card advantage and beats. I like to take advantage of that Razz
MaksymG

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrath,
oblivion ring,
kitchen finks,
aven riftwatcher,

Akroma, godheave of awe
there are your finishers.

play mana tithe if you want even more control,
story circle works well also,

pithing needle shuts down man lands

the 5/5 for 5 with the three protections is also very good....

lots of cards for mono white contorl just have to build it properly.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does swans give u card advantage in mono white? i'm probably missing something here
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to build a Kithkin tribal deck, but since Goldmeadow Stalwart is your best 1-drop and requires a certain amount of kithkins in the deck, there should be Kithkins in there for that purpose.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
13 [SHM] Plains (4)
4 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
3 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
2 [MOR] Rustic Clachan

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Goldmeadow Stalwart
2 [TSB] Icatian Javelineers
4 [TSB] Soltari Priest
4 [LRW] Wizened Cenn
4 [LRW] Knight of Meadowgrain
3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
2 [TSP] Serra Avenger
3 [SHM] Thistledown Liege

// Spells
2 [LRW] Militia's Pride
4 [TSP] Griffin Guide
2 [SHM] Mirrorweave
4 [LRW] Oblivion Ring

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [PLC] Sunlance
SB: 2 [10E] Demystify
SB: 3 [LRW] Goldmeadow Harrier
SB: 2 [CS] Ronom Unicorn
SB: 4 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender

This deck has 17 kithkins. I think it should be enough, but I haven't tested it enough to be 100% sure. Thistledown Liege seems good as it has Flash, but it costs 4, is only 1/3 and there are no other u/w creatures in the deck. Maybe Harriers main or something would be better.

I believe Demistify is a better option than Disenchant in this meta; there aren't any artifacts I would side it in against, and with Demistify you can destroy Bitterblossom _and_ play a threat the same turn much easier and earlier.

The non-Kithkins in the deck must be worth it - if they are not more powerful cards than their Kithkin competitors, it is pointless not going full Kithkin. Icatian Javelineers are great against Faeries and a good card in other matchups - Harriers are also good but requires mana, which is bad. Soltari Priest has prored and cannot be blocked, and is therefore very good vs RDW. It is also good vs Bitterblossom as this enchantment is often meant as defense in the decks it is used. Kithkin does not have any other good 2-drops in monowhite than Wizened Cenn and Knights of Meadowgrain, which are both in the deck. Serra Avenger stands in the way and hits hard with evasion. Not good with more than 2 copies, though - maybe 3 max. Kitchen Finks is a very good creature which improves the matchup against other aggro. No Mutavault because of all the double white manacosts.

There are other non-kithkins that could be played, so I think that White Weenie, if built correctly, has a higher potential than pure Kithkin.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave you a white weenie deck. It should be ok. As for Kithkin, I think the ones dominating Block constructed looks ok. A few non-Lorwyn cards like Griffin Guide etc as replacements and you have a Standard deck.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for your original post, if you want to make a mono white control deck, there must be very good reasons to stay mono white for it to be worth the lack of draw spells. I think a tiny splash of blue is necessary to access Aeon Chronicler.

3 Aeon Chronicler
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Godhead of Awe
1 Oversoul of Dusk
4 Kitchen Finks

1 Sacred Mesa
1 Story Circle
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Porphyry Nodes

4 Coalition Relic
4 Coldsteel Heart

4 Wrath of God
4 Condemn
2 Idyllic Tutor

4 Horizon Canopy
3 Forbidding Watchtower
3 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Mystic Gate
11 Plains

SB:

2 Crovax
1 Sacred Mesa
2 Porphyry Nodes
3 Demystify
4 Martyr of Sands
3 Tormod's Crypt
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2